The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2006, 07:57 PM   #1
npv

Beretta accuracy issue

I have a Beretta Model 92 – I bought it used; it looked like the guy before me hardly fired it so I thought I was getting a good deal. I began to sight it in and realized that it is shooting at least 8” low – I have to aim off the paper to get anywhere near the black. This is at 25’ and shooting from a rest.

Anyone else experiencing this with these models?

My options appear to be sell it to another guy who thinks he is getting a good deal or take it to a gunsmith. I am leaning towards the former. I will then wait until I hear from other folks out there and try to determine if this was a lemon or Beretta has gone down hill…. I just noticed some else’s post to that effect.

Thanks for any comments…

-npv
Old October 25, 2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Mark54g

Have you had the sights looked at? How about having it taken to a smith? It could be a bad gun, it could just have an issue. Call Beretta. They may just make it right for you.
Old October 25, 2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Ammo Junky

If it is 8" at 25 yd, Id wonder if you are aligning the sights correctly of if the rear sigh has been changed. You can easily figure the rear sight hight needed and get a taller rear sight. Better yet get an adjustable rear sight. I would probably try different ammo first.
good luck

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old October 25, 2006, 08:57 PM   #4
IM_Lugger

you got a great gun...keet it

Have you tried more than one type of ammo? Are you aiming 6 o’clock?

Is it possible that you have a flinch? Is this your first gun? How do you shot with other guns?

Assuming the sights are factory fixed you can always replace them; either with adjustable or Novaks. Novak makes several different rear sights for the 92 that will change the point of impact.

Check this thread for more info http://www.berettaforum.net/cgi-bin/...;f=12;t=000903
Old October 25, 2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Dreadnought

I have heard some people say their 92 shoots low, my M9 was POA/POI out of the box. I think the sights are the same for the 92 FS but the M9 has a post in the rear sight and the FS has two dots, but 8'' low is too low. Are you aligning the three dots or are you aligning the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight? Parallax viewing could be skewing your sight picture. Also, the sights are meant to be "combat" style, meaning a six o'clock hold will shoot low since they are supposed to be POA=POI.
First, make sure the sight picture of the sights (not the dots) is correct.
Secondly, make sure you are using the correct "hold".
Thirdly, try different types of ammo, wwb seem to work best.
Old October 26, 2006, 08:43 PM   #6
npv

answers to some of your questions...

1. Not first firearm-- oh far from it. and I don't have this problem with any other pistol.

2. Beretta's customer service does not help -- if it is new (<1 yr) you can send it back else you are on your own. S&W is much better with customer service....

3. does it with all types of ammo.

so in short -- it would appear that other have not experienced it.

thanks
Old October 26, 2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Fremmer

Sounds like you have a problem with the sights. It is worth taking the gun to a Smith and having the sights fixed or replaced. Don't ditch it yet.
Old October 26, 2006, 10:11 PM   #8
IM_Lugger

ask other people to shoot the gun if they have the same problem than it's definitely the sights.

If that’s the case, just replace the rear sight with either adjustable or a higher Novak sight. See the link I posted above.
Old October 26, 2006, 10:25 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

How tall is the front sight and has the back sight been altered?

You can purchase adjustable sights from Beretta, or a back sight that looks very much like the stock sight but accepts inserts of various heights.

Here's a link to the sight with the inserts.

http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemMa...0062:008000113