The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 1, 2013, 02:58 PM   #1
yakfish

Mossberg cruiser?

I have just been offered a Mossberg Cruiser 12 gauge as a trade for non-firearm related items. From what I can gather it is a pistol grip variation of a Mossberg 500. But I don't know much about it. I like the look of it and think it would make a good home defense weapon so it has me intrigued. Anyone have any reviews on this particular gun? Pro's or con's anything I should look out for? I have never owned a pistol grip shot gun so I don't know if I would even like it or what I would even use it for besides home defense. It might be fun to squirrel hunt with!!
Thanks
Old April 1, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Bought one over 30 years ago (pre internet) because I thought it was cool - had the heat shield and all that crap. Three shots had me ordering the full stock and the PGO grip is in a drawer
NOW, if your goal is to create an AOW, the tax stamp is only $5 instead of $200, but that only applies if it has never had a regular stock on it.

Otherwise, save your wrist and put a regular stock on it
Old April 1, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

The Mossberg 500 is a fine shotgun of course. The pistol grip is not very useful. I bought a Mossberg Mariner that came with both the full buttstock and the pistol grip. I tried the pistol grip thinking it might be handy for in the tent when camping. I took it to the gravel pit to pattern/sight in and it was very hard to hit anything past 10 ft. At 20 yds I could only get one or two pellets nicking the 2'x3' board. And it is not easy to manage the severe muzzle rise. If you practiced with it a LOT I imagine one could get proficient with it. It was not worth it to me to put in that much time, effort and expense into something of marginal value.

I put the full buttstock back on. If I need something for that close range I will use my G27 or M29 handguns. If I need a shotgun I will use the buttstock.

Bottom line, I would get the Mossberg as it is a fine shotgun for field (with longer and choked barrel) or home defense with the idea to replace the pistol grip. I would not get it just for the pistol grip.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old April 1, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Skarekrow88

Can't go wrong with a Mossberg. They are like the Glocks of shotguns, tons of accessories and configurations. It wont be good for much other than home defense and just blasting stuff for fun with an 18in barrel but you can always get another barrel for it if you want to hunt or target shoot or whatever. Also the pistol grip only config limits what you can do with the gun too, but again you can always get a solid fixed stock or many other setups. My friend has a Remington 870 and threw a Blackhawk Knoxx PGO on it and he cannot hit anything with it but he loves it. If it were me I would go with the Blackhawk Knoxx Specops Folding Stock so you can have fun with the PGO config and also fold out the wire stock for more accurate shooting (Knoxx stocks are also supposed to help with recoil too). Heres a link to the stock I'm talking about if you want to keep the PGO but have a more stable shooting platform if you wanted/needed it: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/spe...k,1156,165.htm
Old April 1, 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

I will add - if you are REALLY set on some form of pistol grip only for your gun, get the Birdshead type - much easier on the wrist, but it still sucks for accuracy compared to a regular stock
Old April 1, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPilgrim

And it is not easy to manage the severe muzzle rise.
Why Whippet Guns are better made from 20ga pumps.

Old April 1, 2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Making an AOW tax is $200.
Selling AOW tax is $5.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:27 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Great weapons platform....

Ditch the PGO for a full stock but not a "detached" (drop down ar/ak style) pistol grip stock...

I assure you that there are way more mossberg pistol grips in parts boxes, desk drawers and gun rooms than there are full traditional style stocks for sale used...

Brent