The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 19, 2007, 07:00 PM   #26
RedneckFur

Quote:
As for them being scarce, it would depend on who you ask. Ranchers seem to think there are too darn many of them
Ranchers think that one predator is too many. The only thing they dont have too many of is sheep or cows.
Old June 20, 2007, 01:57 PM   #27
Mannlicher

I hear that some Chinese restaurants serve them.

I don't think anyone hunting mountain lions serves them at dinner the next day though. Shoot and mount, or just bury. No big deal.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 20, 2007, 10:36 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Since I already have a cougar-skin rug, odds are I wouldn't bother one unless he's exceptionally well marked. I saw one once that was darned near a replica of a seal-point Siamese cat! Not as dark, but darker on the paws, mask and tail.

But I'd for sure want the hams and back strap...

Art
Old June 21, 2007, 09:22 PM   #29
banditt007

I never even had the chance to try it, but if i did or got a chance to shoot one i'd def eat it. at least try it. if i didnt like it i'd cook it up and give it to some friends to feed their dogs (or cats ). I hate seeing things go to waste and for such a beautiful animal even more so.
Old June 22, 2007, 12:08 AM   #30
TimboKhan

I have eaten both dog and kitty, and both are tasty enough. The cat was actually really good. From what I hear, the mighty puma actually is very tasty, although a bit tough, which sort of makes sense given that they are composed of a crapload of muscle and relatively little fat. Still, I have heard that the meat is tasty and slightly sweet...
Old June 23, 2007, 09:42 AM   #31
taralon

I live in Denver Colorado off of Cherry Creek. Down in the river while hunting for likely rocks and arrowhead type stuff I've come across cougar tracks about as large as my spread hand. And that's just a couple miles south of dowtown. 'course there are enough geese and ducks, and pigeons in the parks to keep several in food. Up in the mountians photographing and hiking I've come close enough to a couple to throw sticks at them. It is interesting to come up on one, and see it flicking its tail back and forth while looking at you in that belly down crouch. Really gets the blood pumping when you're only armed with a camera and a pocket knife. They are pretty prevalent in the Rocky Mountains, and seem to be spreading slowly east. I've heard stories of one or two being seen in Kansas and middle Nebraska, and if you're seeing one or two, there's more than that around.