The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Oldbuck30

Loading Plated?

Been loading for a while now and enjoying the reloading and more shooting. Because of shortage having to go to plated for 357 mag. Have never loaded plated but know to slow down the load. What is the rule for this, 10% less than TMJ, or use data for lead. Please give me your thoughts, AND THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old May 29, 2014, 10:52 PM   #2
arizona98tj

If you are shooting Berry's bullets, they have a FAQ right on their web site that tells you how to load for their bullets. I've been shooting in my 9mm and .45ACP pistols with good results.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Oldbuck30

Arizona,

Thank you very much sir, enjoy your evening. I used to Live in Tucson, enjoyed it but just missed Texas. It's a whole other country
Old May 29, 2014, 10:59 PM   #4
arizona98tj

If you have questions after reading their FAQ, shoot me a PM here or an e-mail through my web site. Good luck!
Old May 29, 2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Try not to overthink this.

Just use plated load data. Start low and work up - just as you always do. In the case of plated with 357 Mag: Just don't drive them real hard (low pressure chamberings like 38 Special or 45 ACP, no cautions apply - just load away). It's not wise to go to the top of the load data spectrum because they're just not built for that. Another way to look at it is: At lower pressures, they behave like jacketed bullets; but at higher pressures, they start to behave like lead bullets.

Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast FPS limit. And when a plated bullet manufacturer quotes one, believe me, it's an oversimplification. It's just not that simple.

Once you've got that caveat locked in your mind, the more important concerns become OAL and crimp. Since there's no cannelure, you'll need to determine an OAL. And if your die is a roll crimp, go very light - just take the flair out. Plated bullets and roll crimp dies don't get along. Ideally, you'll get yourself a taper crimp die.

A recommend a taper crimp die for anybody who loads plated bullets; and for anybody who loads 38 target ammo - plated or not. Taper crimps are a lot easier on the brass - but that's another story. I digress.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:08 AM   #6
hartcreek

Why run plated in a revolver?

I sure would not buy plated bullets for a .357. I cast my own and it is easy to cast and gascheck for a .357.
Old May 31, 2014, 08:58 PM   #7
Hammerhead

I've had very good luck with plated bullets in the .357. I use plated 148 grain DEWC's and 158 RNFP's. I like medium speed powders like Unique, Universal, 4756, HP-38. I use starting jacketed data and work up until It shoots right, but stay 10% or more off the max loads.
Old June 1, 2014, 11:51 AM   #8
BigJimP

Not all plated bullets are the same....companies like Berry's ( who have a good uniform and pretty thick plating ) say use mid range jacketed data...and they have a good website for recommendations....

Bullets like Rainier...( plating is thinner, and not as uniform ) suggest using lead bullet data....
------------------
True jacketed bullets are available from Montana Gold and others...in .357 Mag...
Old June 1, 2014, 11:55 AM   #9
SHR970

Quote:
Nick C S wrote: Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast FPS limit. And when a plated bullet manufacturer quotes one, believe me, it's an oversimplification. It's just not that simple.
This is more true than most know. Not all plated bullets (even within the brand) are made the same. Speer Unicore and Gold Dot bullets are plated. Depending on the application; their plating thickness and core alloys differ to give the performance desired by the manufacturer. The other manufacturers of plated bullets are all over the map where their base plate thickness and core alloy hardness are concerned. Some seem to use just a wisp of copper over a very soft alloy and others use a harder alloy and a good coat of copper that is well bonded to the core.

So brand to brand, the rules of "how fast can you go" varies..... a lot. Then we go within a brand. If 1300 fps. max. is the rule, how come I can drive a 30. carbine plated bullet 1900 fps. without it spraying the jacket all over the place? It is because the manufacturer has thickened the plating to match the application. The same holds for bullets that can go into magnum cartridges. Not only can we exceed the velocity window in a revolver but the same round that is within the velocity window in a revolver can easily breach the window in a carbine. Some of the manufacturers take that into account.

As Nick said, there is no hard and fast fps limit.
Old June 1, 2014, 05:08 PM   #10
Hammerhead

Rainier is my first choice for plated bullets.
I've had the Rainier .356" 130 RN over 1,250 fps in .38 super, good accuracy, no problems, the .357"/158 RNFP over 1,100 fps, good accuracy, no problems, I've also had terrific accuracy with the Rainier 200 SWC in .45 acp with match grade results out to 50 yards. Same with the Rainier .357" 148 DEWC in .357.
Unlike Berry's, all of Rainier's bullets are 'double struck' (re-swaged after plating).

Berry's makes a good bullet too, just needed to defend Rainier a bit.
Old June 2, 2014, 11:33 AM   #11
jeager106

Can't beat Xtreme plated bullets for price, fast shipping, customer service, and thick plating, thicker than Berry's or Rainers.
Xtreme has load data, & the bullets can be easily driven faster
than the other 2 brands jsut mentioned.
I don't drive lead or plated to max simply because I reserve near max reloads for jacketed bullets.
Old June 4, 2014, 01:27 PM   #12
WESHOOT2

I just use averaged 'start' load data to start.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:23 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

Xtreme

I was just on Xtreme's site for the first time. Looks like they have some good products. Plated bullets with cannelures - interesting. But they still recommend a taper crimp - more interesting.

I've been using Berry's and Rainier. I'm satisfied with both. And have a lot of both. But as restocking time approaches, I'll give some of these Xtreme bullets a try. I'm interested.

P.S. Of course, it's all for naught if I don't find some powder soon.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; June 6, 2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Postscript added
Old June 6, 2014, 11:03 PM   #14
Jim243

I've always found Berry's to be less than desireable and I stay as far away from them as possible. (total waste of money in my opinion)

Rainier would be a good choice.

Jim