The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old October 26, 2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Maser

Old thread bumping?

I haven't posted much here, but was going to post in an old thread of mine, but got a message saying the thread was old and asking me if I really feel the need to bump it. Is that a bannable offense or just a simple heads up? I know this is an odd question, but I just don't want to do anything to get kicked off this informative site.
Old October 26, 2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

No, it's not a bannable offense. But, the practice is frowned upon if the new post is only marginally related to the old topic. Resurrecting an old thread can be confusing to those who come along after the added post. Most members opening the thread don't realize how old the thread is and start answering questions that were asked literally years ago, and which were also answered years ago while the new poster's question or comment might go unnoticed.

Often it is best to start a new thread, and perhaps reference the old thread, if necessary, with a link.

In your case, since you said it was one of your old threads, it might be more appropriate to go ahead and post to the old thread instead of starting a new one if you have new info for that specific topic.
Old October 26, 2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Maser

Thanks for the quick reply. The thread in question pretty much was answered for me, but I saw new posts that I haven't read and I was going to answer a specific post, but then got the message about thread bumping. None the less my question was answered in that thread so I guess there's no need to turn it into another discussion. Thanks Mal H.
Old October 26, 2009, 10:59 AM   #4
goodspeed(TPF)

Great question and answer.

*(subscribes to thread in order to come back in a few months and "bump" it) -Goodspeed

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old October 26, 2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

DON'T BELIEVE HIM! HE'S SUCKERING YOU IN AND WILL BAN YOU!

IIRC we've had a couple of old threads resurrected by spammers. That's a double butt kicking right there -- spamming, and bring up an old thread to spam...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 26, 2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

(But he didn't fall for the old trick, Mike. )

Right, bringing back an old thread to add some new spam is a hearse of a different color! The ban time can be measured in milliseconds for those.

Alright, yes, yes, I know - any time period can be measured in milliseconds, but it sounds stricter when stated that way!
Old October 27, 2009, 06:44 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I thought, as I bump an old tread now and then...
If the notice prompted the grave digger to post a disclaimer above his reply that he is opening a necro thread, it would help out folks who read it...
Brent
Old October 27, 2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Glenn Dee

I'm fairly new here. Is there a problem with re-visiting issues discussed in older threads? Being new I find some of the older subjects very interesting. Should I start a new thread and discuss the same issues? Thanks

Glenn Dee.
Old October 27, 2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

No need to restate the guidelines I posted in post #2 above, Glenn. They haven't changed much since yesterday.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm beginning to think we should start executing people who bump threads more than 30 minutes old...

Old October 29, 2009, 09:50 AM   #11
w_houle

The only problem I see is a matter of dead threads vs. a million repeated topic threads. It's like the thread I was reading on the Sig Mosquito: Granted I could have just started another that was worded similar, or one of the many posts that brought the thread up to date over time. It's possible to add valuable points or salient questions to a topic, but that seems to be the rub; a lot of +1 posts and revival of threads that... there was a point, but I lost it.
Old October 29, 2009, 04:32 PM   #12
tyme
Staff

bump!
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old October 30, 2009, 09:56 AM   #13
grymster2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme
bump!
Doesn't tyme know this thread is old?

I've posted to an old thread once or twice and I think the old-thread warning message is a good idea... makes one think. Now if we could have a dumb post warning, that would be something! Little pop-up window when you click sumbit that says "grym! yur'n idiot - you really want to confirm this again?"
Old January 8, 2010, 11:43 AM   #14
goodspeed(TPF)

Good thing I bookmarked this.

Bump for a good idea guys. Let's all try to keep this in mind when looking at threads that are a few months old. -Goodspeed

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 13, 2010, 03:34 PM   #15
Balog

I personally see a difference between a 40 day old post on page two of the forum, and a 3 year old post you had to use the search function to find. But that's just me.
Old January 13, 2010, 04:20 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, this thread has lived a full and useful life.

Goodspeed has fulfilled his stated mission of bumping this thread, so I'm going to close it.

And ban him for good measure.

Closed Thread