The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 23, 2007, 11:44 PM   #1
zahnzieh

Hunting land lease advice?

Hey guys I need some advice about leasing land to hunters. I acquired some land recently in Missouri and am interested in leasing this land out to hunters. Any good advice about how to go about getting good lessees? are any of you landowners with advice on what or what not to do. In particular, did you have them sign a lease, under what terms and should i consult with a local attorney. i am a hunter myself and would like to hunt there when i find the time - the land is just too far away and i need some help in develop it . Any advice to above questions would be greatly appreciated
Old October 25, 2007, 06:44 AM   #2
king.460

You may want to check into BaseCampLeasing.com. They have alot of Mizzou properties. Email me @ [email protected]. I am part of a group looking for lease property in NE MO and western IL. Might be interested.
Old October 25, 2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Polishrifleman

I wouldn't necessarily go with a lease unless it is to a hunt club. I would do a License, this way you as the owner/steward have more flexibility.

How much land is it? How is it accessed? Are there any structures?
Old October 29, 2007, 10:36 PM   #4
zahnzieh

lease land

Actually, the land is in n. Arkansas right on the border (randolph co.) -about 280 acres. Yes there is an old farm and out buildings - heavy woods and meadows. What do you mean by license? What I am looking for is specific info for landowners - some of these websites are geared for lease/buy. I will check out website mentioned - thanks for the input
Old October 30, 2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Stuff for the lease agreement:

Number of hunters.
Liability insurance, if any: Who provides?
Length of time of hunting lease. All year? Deer season only? Other?
What game. If deer, such issues as how many bucks and size/age/points. Does: Shoot or no shoot.

Maintenance, repairs, damages: Who does what?

Rough camping? Yes/no. Campfires? Yes/no.

Art
Old October 31, 2007, 02:56 PM   #6
davlandrum

I am sure you could specify in the lease a number of days that you could hunt. Not sure how long of a season you are talking, but identify a week that only the owner (you and your guests) are allowed to hunt, the rest of the time the lessees would have free run of the place.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 31, 2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Capp35

Just me personally, but that would be a deal breaker having the owner hunt on the land. Most people only go on the weekends and the owner could hunt 7 days.
I always make sure on my contracts (on my 3rd lease now) that I have exclusive rights to any game animals.

Heck, the lease I am on now(for the last 7 years), had cows and goats on it. The goats would jump fences and raid my feeders. I told the land owner... "either the goats are gone, or I am gone". The goats were gone the next year. I guess money talks.
I have a family of four (all hunters) on a 1200 acre lease.
Old October 31, 2007, 09:46 PM   #8
zahnzieh

land lease

thanks for all the input! What are my options if these guys turn out bad (i.e.unsafe hunting, drunks, destructive) Can the lease terminate on my terms? Also,do most landowners have the lessees pay the liability insurance if any? Do the rules change if I bring a hunt club onto the property? thanks again for any and all advice.
Old November 1, 2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Polishrifleman

I found these. They look helpful and discusses some of your concerns.

http://www.michiganfarmbureau.com/sp..._agreement.pdf
http://forestry.about.com/od/wildlif...hunt_lease.htm

http://www.naturalresources.umd.edu/...ing_Lease.html