The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 11, 2002, 10:58 AM   #1
Wild Irish

Yard sale conversion

Picked up a suede vest (with that fake sheepskin lining) recently at a yard sale for $3. Think Sonny Bono circa 1970. The local leather guy made a simple holster for my three inch # 37, for $15, fitted for left-side righthand draw. Went down the street and around the corner to Hippie Patty the seamstress for another $15. The slight bulk of the vest downplays any unsightly bulge, the pockets hold speedstrips/loaders no sweat.
I am now, thankyou, a most stylish man-about-town. (Ok, ok, Chico IS a small town, and I have little-to-no style, so just about anything is an improvement! Besides, a considerable number of folk here really are still in the sixties and seventies)
A small surprise in all this was Patty. Very much still the hippie, lives up in the canyon with musician husband, blah blah. I was waiting for the tsk tsk to be delivered about the holster, gun owners and so on. She told me she used to leave her shop at night with a concealed ice pick, as the neighborhood student element are not always on their best behavior. But as it happens, she hinted that a J-frame snubby might be closer to hand. So, just as some of us may look like good ol' boys 'n gals, some of us don't!