The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 1, 2002, 07:39 PM   #1
exilefromhell

Remington Cleaning mat?

Anybody have one, used one, etc? Or better question...anybody use a mat that utilizes Zorb-Techâ„¢ technology like this one? Comments? Thanks.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rentType=&rid=

Old September 2, 2002, 05:01 PM   #2
jcostin

I have never used anything like this but I just ordered one. It is what I have been looking for. I will post my impressions after I get it and have a chance to try it. Thanks for posting this info.
Old September 2, 2002, 05:19 PM   #3
exilefromhell

No prob.... Thanks too!

------------------------
edit

Check out what I found out about Zorbtech technology from other places using it:

Put away that newspaper and move up to a real gun cleaning pad. Protect your table & firearms from scratches and spilled cleaning fluids. Featuring Zorb-Tech(TM) technology the NRA Gun Cleaning Pad is absorbent yet waterproof thus stopping spills from migrating. Durable, stain resistant and long lasting with a clear bonded backing that prevents soak-thru. The soft, plush fabric stops small parts from rolling away and getting lost. Machine washable and dryable. Will last for years.

http://store.nrahq.org/nra/product.a...%5Fid=SS+21581

http://store.nrahq.org/nra/product.a...%5Fid=SS+21582

The drymate Product

All of our products are made the same and are durable, lightweight, and machine washable and dryable. In non-tech talk they prevent moisture from soaking down thru the product and prevent moisture from coming up through the product. The products are made with Zorb-Tech Anti-Flow Absorbency technology. This allows for a soft, stain resistant, non-woven fabric on one side and a clear non-abrasive bonded backing on the reverse side. The fabric side holds 8 times its weight in water, trapping spills before they do harm and the non-abrasive backing prevents scratching the surfaces it comes in contact with. It really is that simple. To see the technical explanation click here and return to hear what our customers are saying.

http://www.drymate.com/Pages/Drymate...st%20Visit.htm

I think I'm going to order one too
Old September 2, 2002, 06:14 PM   #4
VaughnT

For the cost, I can't see the benefit. I handled one at a store and they are very thin. Looked easy to tear.

Down an aisle or two, there were several "utility mats", next to the linens. Got a nice, thick rug for a quarter of the Remi rug and she's not failed me yet.

Of course, I'm not cleaning my guns on the finely polished oak dinner table.
Old September 10, 2002, 06:29 PM   #5
jcostin

I received my Remington rug a few days ago and finally got a chance to use it a couple of times. I love it. I've been using newspaper for many years and I always seemed to be losing small parts in the newsprint. This rug is non-slip, is lined on the back so there is no leak thru and not at all fragile. It is well worth the $6.95 or whatever it cost. The small size is plenty big enough for pistol work and cleaning. You would want the larger size for rifles and shotguns.

Highly recommended.
Old September 11, 2002, 02:28 AM   #6
youngun

I have one.
Works fine.
Not a huge investment.
I wouldn't, however, buy it b/c of some psudo-technology.
It's a mat that you can clean.
Works fine.

youngun
Old September 11, 2002, 05:14 PM   #7
CZ Gunner

I use an old towel on top of my bench .. works for me. I work with a fellow who uses a couple mouse pads (free at trade show) under his ... what ever works. (Would rather save money for ammo. However, if someone gave me one ... it would be well used!)

Bottom-line: I'm cheap! LOL ...

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD