The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 17, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1
rbernie

Finally did it

I finally broke down and ordered an H&R Pardner in 28ga. It should be in my favorite local shop by Saturday. I can't shoot it yet due to medical restrictions but my ortho should clear me for light shooting by the end of April.

I have no real need for it. I got it just because it sounded fun (and to keep my 28ga Wingmaster company).
Old April 18, 2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Enjoy!!

I'm sure you're aware that subguage single shots have an inordinate amount of fun attached.

Glad to hear you're mending.

Of course, with TWO 28s to feed, you'll need that Spolar more than ever....
Old April 18, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
oneounceload

Quote:
Of course, with TWO 28s to feed, you'll need that Spolar more than ever..

If he could afford the Spolar, I think he might have bought a Beretta, or even better, a Perazzi.............
Old April 19, 2012, 07:44 AM   #4
rbernie

When I brought home the Wingmaster, I immediately placed an order for a MEC 650Jr in 28ga (that's more my budget!) and started stocking up on AA ammo whenever I could find it....
Old April 19, 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
oneounceload

Having owned, and reloaded, for 28 for years, the BEST hulls are the older AA CF ones- the ones with the "AA" inside the black box on the hull. Between that one and the new AA, there are three different Winchester hulls - all having different lengths and internal volumes; then there's the Remington hulls.

Personally, Remington makes the best hulls for 12 and 20; Winchester for 28 and 410; but you need to sort those AA hulls or you will be frustrated reloading those. I did not realize the differences until i had a box of assorted empties and went to reloading...ARGH! what a PITA!

If you can't get the good old ones, go with the newest ones, a little longer than the first "new" ones they came out with and definitely easier to reload.

There are folks reloading down to 5/8 to save shot and recoil - something to look into
Old April 19, 2012, 10:45 AM   #6
rbernie

Quote:
I'm sure you're aware that subguage single shots have an inordinate amount of fun attached.
Indeed. And for the insanely low cost involved, I couldn't see any reason not to buy it.

Quote:
If you can't get the good old ones, go with the newest ones, a little longer than the first "new" ones they came out with and definitely easier to reload.
I have only new-production AA ammo on hand, and those are the hulls that I'll use for reloading. I'm assuming that the WAA28 wad (or Claybuster equivilent) will be adequate, but are there any other alternatives?
Old April 19, 2012, 11:16 AM   #7
oneounceload

I used the Claybuster with great success once I sorted my hulls so they were all the same length.

That said, once I loaded a 3/4oz 12 gauge load, I sold all my 28's, even my loader. I really liked that 1100 Sporting, even if it did throw empties into the next county

Downrange has their PC-28 Blue, but I have not used it. My club orders targets from Gamaliel, and we can get stuff at regular price without shipping or hazmat, so we order whatever they have when it comes to reloading components. Many speak highly of 20/28 powder, I liked Universal or Unique, others used International

One thing about them, you can carry several boxes in your vest pockets with no problems.....