The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1
MagnumWill

Going to CA. Legal?

Well, Sounds like I'm taking a position out in Palmdale next month. I have been wanting to get another shotgun to fill the void of my poor old RPK that can't come with . The question is this:

Would an FN SLP mark 1, 22" barrel, 8+1 fly out there? That would make a fine substitution. No pistol grip, no detachable mag, no loss whatsoever in firepower.

Thoughts?
Old April 15, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Sheikyourbootie

Should be legal. Even the Saiga is legal if the magazine is "permanently" fixed to the receiver.

Welcome to the PRK.
Old April 15, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3
SHR970

Won't be a problem.

Edit to add: A SKS is also a legal sub. for the RPK that you can't bring.

Edit again: You'll find Palmdale gets pretty warm in the summer. The beach is two hours away......+ / - depending on traffic. You'll have Castaic and Pyramid lakes closer to you but they can be zoos during the season.

Last edited by SHR970; April 15, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old April 15, 2012, 10:59 PM   #4
MagnumWill

I'm sure it's going to be quite a change from a Denver suburb, but I'm looking forward to finally having a huse instead of an apartment, and Santa Monica looks nice. That's a fantastic idea about the SKS, just got to make sure it doesn't have the evil bayonet, right? Because that's going to be my first mode of defense, rather than the full magazine
Old April 16, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
SHR970

Yes, make sure the bayo is not attached to it. They are easy enough to remove.

You can have most any shotgun you want as long is it isn't a Saiga, SPAS, USAS, and Streetsweeper. There aren't too many detachable mag. semi shotguns so the banned list is pretty short. Look here for general info...Ca. DOJ is actually pretty up front with the bad news. Ca. DOJ Firearms

Santa Monica ???? Communist Central. Libtard Central. The only way I know of to get much lower is Venice aka the Freak Show.

On a more serious note, a shop in the near area that I WILL NOT go to is Martin B Retting in Culver City. They treat people like rubes to be fleeced. I have no idea how they stay in business.

Last edited by SHR970; April 16, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I lived in Venice in the early 70s. It was there I repelled two "Socio- economically disadvantaged youths" trying t break in my apt on Westminster Ave. One 870, no shots fired.

Rettig used to be a good shop. Sorry it's not now....
Old April 16, 2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Bubba in c.a.

Santa Monica is quite urban with all the problems, plus pricey. When I used to vacation in the PRK we used to go to Ventura and Oxnard--some decent beaches, not too crowded, and we would do a day trip to Santa Barbara.

Do check the State`s banned list--it doesn`t have to make sense but you need to see the details.
Old April 16, 2012, 11:37 PM   #8
SHR970

Add to that going to Palmdale means the 10 / 405 interchange followed by Mulholland pass, the 405 / 5 merge then the 14 for the rest of the trip. Poor guy is going to learn all about traffic the hard way.

Our traffic is as bad as the laws; read up. Also read up on Penal codes 17500 on; you'll find a whole host of other no-no's in there. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Looks like they moved it around a bit under the current statutes but we generally know this mess as 12020-12040. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php This is a bulk of weapons in general.

Last edited by SHR970; April 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old April 16, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9
rc

Any pump or semi auto with a conventional stock and extended mag should be OK as long as you limit your number of rounds to 10 in the mag. Remington 870 is fine. You are supposed to declare you guns when you get here but that's your call. Don't think it's an issue unless you plan on doing something wrong. Just something be be aware of. Make sure you transport in locked case or in trunk and always unloaded except in home and then it has to be childproof and securely locked so the crooks cant grab your gun and run. You should pick up a safe to hold what you want to keep here. Just keep a few things here you'll shoot regularly and leave the rest of your toys in a California free zone unless you have to move everything at this time. Then you might want to liquidate stuff or leave it with your family members in Colorado.
Old April 16, 2012, 11:42 PM   #10
MagnumWill

I'm surprised I didn't get pulled over for not letting the motorcycles split lanes. Here in Colorado we open the car door when they try that

Well, hopefully up in Palmdale near the AFB is nice, and I'll hopefully have a nice new SLP or SKS to keep me company . If anything, just the Colt may come with me for the time being, everything else can relax here.
Old April 16, 2012, 11:57 PM   #11
SHR970

If you open your door on us expect to go down for reckless endangerment at the minimum and up to vehicular assault if the Chippers catch you. You'll find the guys in the gold helmets don't take too kindly to that. You'll find we do a good job of removing mirrors and performing other adjustments too if you do that kind of junk. If you see a bike, let them through. We have enough problems with bad or inattentive drivers to deal with without some jerk trying to make us road kill at 65 mph.

Edit to add: Lane splitting is legal here. You'll find the gold helmets do it all the time. I know because I like following them since they are like Moses to traffic; the lanes widen out nicely for those of us that follow. Slam the door shut on one of them and you'll find out how bad our fines are PDQ.
Old April 17, 2012, 12:38 AM   #12
Slopemeno

"Lane Sharing" actually.

Every motorcycle is one less car on the roads. Why fight it?
Old April 17, 2012, 08:09 AM   #13
MagnumWill

Kidding, people, kidding!! Gawd I hope to get a nice Sportster myself soon.

My question is this: when "declaring" a firearm, to whom? The local office in the town?
Old April 17, 2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Slopemeno

The Department of Justice. Check out their website.
Old April 17, 2012, 05:03 PM   #15
SHR970

Quote:
Gawd I hope to get a nice Sportster Skirtster myself soon.
Aren't you gonna get a real bike?

Quote:
My question is this: when "declaring" a firearm, to whom?
Go to the DOJ link I provided above. Again they are pretty up front with the bad news. You may have to bounce around a bit on line but you'll even find the forms online for most stuff this screwy state does. For the specific info. you requested; you'll find it under General Information: Bullet 5 Firearms Information for New California Residents. Under that link you'll find a link that takes you to the forms.

Read Up...we're trying to make it easy for you and keep you out of trouble.

Last edited by SHR970; April 17, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:18 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

This may not be current, check 4 yourself

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

Quote:
California law does not require persons moving into California (to) report rifles or shotguns. One important thing to be aware of though is that certain rifles and shotguns may be defined as assault weapons in California and are prohibited from entering this state under most normal circumstances. Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California.
Besides what it says, the law may be different if you are in military and stationed in CA but your place of residence is out of state. Not sure about that but if in the military check.
Old April 18, 2012, 11:06 AM   #17
drewthebrave

Welcome to California. If you want to learn the ridiculous firearm "safety" laws here, Calguns is an excellent resource. Read up, and get involved. There are a lot of great people trying to fight for our second amendment rights in CA.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php
Old April 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #18
MagnumWill

Thanks for all the info guys- it will be a pity that I have to pick and choose what I can/can't bring, but it should still be OK. I'm hoping my job out there involves me in much, *much* larger things that go boom.
Old April 20, 2012, 02:11 AM   #19
50 shooter

Are you in the Military or just working on the base? If you're in the Military you can bring ALL of your weapons, even the evil black ones. Call the CA DOJ and let them know, you need to do this ASAP so you can get the paperwork filled out and sent back before you get here. If you're a civvie you're stuck with your current situation and will have to leave all the evil ones behind.

Calguns is good for info on legal stuff BUT I reserve the right to caution you on some aspects of the site. I've been a member from the start and the original owner, things have changed a lot since then and I don't go there very often any more. If you check the no longer imported/non listed pistols on the DOJ site, you can bring them in with you and resale them for a profit. CG's is a good place to post them for sale as guys are looking for that kind of stuff.

Being that I live in Lancaster we'll be neighbors, if you want to go shooting sometime just PM me here and we can figure out details. STAY AWAY from Santa Fe gun shop on Sierra HWY as the owner is a huge prick. Other then that the others aren't bad, just a bit over priced but that's most gun stores any where now.
No time for rearranging.