The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
kemassey

Win Model 12 cycling issues

Delete.

Last edited by kemassey; April 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Delete
Old April 23, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2
kemassey

Originally I asked for help with cycling issues. I was using Federal target loads from Walmart. I didn't get any replies in almost two weeks so gave up and deleted post. I was able to get a new carrier spring and carrier plunger and plunger spring installed. If I didn't cycle the pump fast enough the tip of the shell would hit on the bottom of the chamber. I will see if this helps with loading issues. I will repost after the next range trip.
Old April 26, 2012, 05:24 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

I underswtand that some of the Model 12s are builf for the slighly shorter 2-9/16" shell and that this sometimes causes ejection problems. You describe a chamber loading problem, but I wonder if it is also due to using 2-3/4" shotshells.

I believe that not all brands of 2-3/4 shells are exactly the same size. Do you have this problem on other brands or even different types of federal shells?
Old April 26, 2012, 08:21 PM   #4
kemassey

I've only used the federal target shells. I have some Win AA that I'll try. It mostly seemed it had to do with how fast I cycled the pump. I replaced some worn parts, so maybe that will help.
Old April 26, 2012, 08:41 PM   #5
JimPage

That the problem seems to be how fast you cycle the slide, I'd suspect that you are short stroking the slide.

I've experienced that on my Model 12 when I first got it in 1960. A friend told me about it. No problems since.

Try some more being sure you don't short stroke the action.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum