The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
old fart

pistol grip or regular stock?

i have a pardner pump protector and will be using it for home defense as well as a hiking and camping gun and possibly a close range deer gun. i was thinking of putting a pistol grip on it as it would shorten it for hiking, but for home defense and deer hunting i don't know. what do ya'll think?, leave the factory stock on or put a pistol grip on. i know there are folding stocks too and that would give me both but they're more expensive. so would ya'll put a pistol grip on, leave it alone or put a folding stock thats got the pistol grip or regular stock choice? thanks
Old March 29, 2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Irish B

If you plan on using it in place of a rifle (deer hunting, home defense) then go with the pistol grip. If you plan on bird hunting then leave the factory stock. It makes a big difference in the functionality of the gun and how it feels in different applications.
Old March 30, 2012, 05:48 AM   #3
radom

Put the pistol grip on it then shoot it and get back to us here then take 2 chill pills.. get a folder.

Last edited by Dave McC; March 30, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: G rated forum
Old March 30, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pistol Grip Only shotguns work lots better in the movies than in real life.

Use a real stock and be bad.

Use a PGO and just look bad....
Old March 30, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Hawg

If you're actually going to use it keep the regular stock.
Old March 30, 2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Skadoosh

What Dave McC said.
Old March 30, 2012, 06:16 PM   #7
k511

check out the top/ side folders with the pistol grip. You get the compact size with a sholder stock...PGO stocks are nice in the way that they are compact, BUT reduce accuracy to near nothing and the recoil of heavy loads through PGO's is not fun to deal with......+1 Dave McC
Old March 31, 2012, 03:14 PM   #8
anonymousFolk

+1 to all ^

Once upon a time...

I went out with a friend and shot a variety of ammo...slugs, buckshot #0, buckshot #4, super fast FPS, slow, steel #6, etc.

Buckshot kicks. Hard. Some buckshot make slugs feel good. We did some firing (of week ammo) without shouldering.

It stunk. Based on some old posts in here about shotguns kicking up into shooters' teeth, I can't ever recommend pistol grip alone! IMHO that's what handguns are for
Old March 31, 2012, 06:43 PM   #9
jjmIII_Ruger

Both. Switch when needed.
Old March 31, 2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Hansam

Pistol grip only stocks are worthless in my mind. Want a tactical shotgun? Get a stock with a pistol grip and a folding shoulder stock component.

That way you can fold the stock for portability and still have the pistol grip for quick shots if necessary - the unfold the stock for a more stable (and accurate) shooting platform. Even then I think that's a bit unnecessary. I'd be happy with a pistol grip/thumbhole shoulder stock for a shotgun.
Old March 31, 2012, 09:01 PM   #11
NWPilgrim

I find it impossible to aim with only a pistol grip. At 20 yds I just missed a 12" x 18" cardboard target with both slugs, and buckshot that spread to about 9". And that was missing with four tries. If you use PGO then limit shooting to within ten yds. A folder would be better.
Old March 31, 2012, 11:07 PM   #12
Shotgun693

Years of shooting a pistol grip shotgun will for sure leave you with a good case of arthritis in your wrist and likely in your elbow. I knew on SWAT, many years ago, that were issued the pistol grip shotguns all later regretted it.
Old April 1, 2012, 01:09 AM   #13
Glockstar .40

got an ATI 6 position collapsible (not folding) with the scorpion buttpad and scorpion recoil reducing grip on my mossy 590! it works great!! makes 3inch slugs not so painful
Old April 1, 2012, 07:19 PM   #14
zippy13

Pistol Grip Only stocks are great for mall ninjas shooting blanks. Detached Pistol Grip stocks (AR style) have limited applications.
Old April 1, 2012, 07:36 PM   #15
OkieCruffler

Quote:
Pistol Grip Only stocks are great for mall ninjas shooting blanks
Hey, I shot birdshot and I don't even like the mall. PGO's are fun toys and that's about it. Take a look at those who use shotguns in a serious line of work. You won't see alot of PGO's in cruisers.
Old April 1, 2012, 07:41 PM   #16
FrosSsT

I myself would go with a stock with a pistol grip - I'd NEVER go with pistol grip only
Old April 3, 2012, 08:58 PM   #17
.50cal packer

I feel that the pistol grip is great for home defense. However, I would go with the folding stock. It fits all required applications. Just my two cents.
Old April 17, 2012, 10:19 AM   #18
old fart

UPDATE: i couldn't decide on what to do as i wanted a pistol grip to take hiking and camping but needed a stock for deer hunting. my nephew solved my problem, i had a old winchester 22 that my nephew has wanted for a long time, he offered to get me another pardner pump plus my pistol grip and a pistol forgrip. i agreed so i now have a full stock deer shotgun and one with a hogue pistol grip and a tac star forgrip. i fired it yesterday and with field loads and reduced recoil buckshot it wasn't bad at all, i fired slugs it kicked pretty good, but the hogue grip seems to help with recoil. all in all i like it and i have a short 27.75 inch gun that i can just sling across my back, which is good i'm a short guy and a real long gun doesn't fit me well. thanks
Old April 17, 2012, 08:54 PM   #19
shortwave

Regular stock.

The deer deserve it.

You may be the first but I've never seen anyone as accurate with a PG as they were with a regular stock.
Old April 18, 2012, 09:15 AM   #20
WV_gunner

I'd rather just have a regular wood stock. They look and feel better to me. But I have shot a Mossburg with a folding stock and it was folded. Shooting the gun 2 handed, slugs and buckshot wasn't bad at all. Can't really understand how people complain how hard they kick. A few months ago, I shot my double barrel with 3 inch #2 using just 1 hand to shoot it. All my life I've heard how big and bad a 12 gauge is and how hard it kicks. Unless you're a kid or elderly, I don't understand the complaint. So if you want a pistol grip on your 12 gauge, go for it.