The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1
cordesr1

Best O/U for the money?

I've been shooting skeet and trap for the last couple years with a Winchester Super X2 sporting. Love the gun but know at the rate i'm shooting it's not going to last forever. I'm Looking for an O/U and don't know where to start.

Like everyone i want the most gun for my money. I would like to keep it under $1500 and want a quality gun. i know i can pick up a used citori in my price range also a few weatherby orions.

Are there other options out there that i can do better than where i'm headed?

Thanks,

RJC
Old March 13, 2012, 08:53 PM   #2
zip22

I have no idea of the quality, but Franchi has two new models under $1500. 7 year warranties, too. They seem very light, though. Probably not the best for clays.
http://www.franchiusa.com/shotguns/
Old March 13, 2012, 08:57 PM   #3
cordesr1

The Franchi is a great looking gun for the money. From the one i picked up they handle well. I was not able to shoot it though.

One thing that i did not like is the automatic safety. Once you close the breech the safety is activated. This is an nice feature for a field gun, not so much for a competition gun.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Buzzard Bait

citori

Shure would take a lot of shooting to wear out a citori
bb
Old March 13, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
.300 Weatherby Mag

In your price range... The Browning Citori Satin Hunter at around $1295...
Old March 13, 2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Orphanedcowboy

FN built Winchester 101, made in Belgium and $1000 new most anywhere.
Old March 14, 2012, 12:26 AM   #7
TheKlawMan

Are u talking new or used for $1,000 101?

Last edited by TheKlawMan; March 14, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old March 14, 2012, 02:50 AM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
FN built Winchester 101, made in Belgium and $1000 new most anywhere.
Cheapest I've seen is $1400... MSRP is $1869... Honestly, i'm not impressed by the fit or finish on the new 101s out of Belgium...
Old March 14, 2012, 03:00 AM   #9
Orphanedcowboy

Last Cabelas flyer had them for $999, check CDNN as well
Old March 14, 2012, 05:24 AM   #10
LSnSC

The Beretta 686 Sporting is in your price range.
FWIW, it will take alot of rounds to wear out that SX2. It's one of the most underrated gas guns out there.
Old March 14, 2012, 06:45 AM   #11
PJR

Do not confuse low price with value. For a clay target shooter the Beretta 686 Sporting is the best value but it does not have the lowest price.
Old March 14, 2012, 07:23 AM   #12
oneounceload

For target shooting, you will want the target version of whatever gun make you decide on. The reason is simple - weight. Target versions tend to be, on average, a pound heavier than the corresponding field version. Target guns get shot a lot and carried a little, so weight becomes your friend in the recoil department.

Used - Browning Gti, 325, 425, 525 might be in the ballpark figure, as well as some of the Beretta 68X versions - both makers are still in business; every gunsmith who actually is one can fix them easily, parts are available; and their longevity has been proven. I do not think you will find a target version new in your price range.

SKB -I'll categorize SKB as just slightly lower than Beretta and Browning, but not by enough to matter to most. However, SKB in Japan stopped production. The US importer, GU from Omaha, has guns and parts, they say, to last for several decades, and they say they are trying to find someone to resume production. SKB made Weatherby at one point and several others. If it looks like a Merkel but was made in Japan, it most likely was made by SKB.

It really comes down to your volume of shooting. My Gti, now 17 years old, has about 200,000 rounds through it. I have had the main spring, firing pins and firing pin springs replaced once - at about 90,000. As mentioned, one advantage of a mainstream gun is that my smith can not only fix this gun, he keeps all the parts in stock because they are popular and he sees a lot of them over the course of a year - (He lives at a retirement gun club in Fl)

As for the type of gun - IMO, it is easier to shoot trap with a skeet version stock, than the other way around. Trap versions are typically set up to shoot a high POI/POA - around 70/30, whereas skeet guns shoot typically 50/50 or at most, 60/40. Since you have targets that are not all rising as in trap, the skeet version will be better at not having you missing over the top on birds that might be dropping.

Besides, eventually, you'll want to test the waters at the 5-stand, sporting clays, and maybe even the FITASC fields.

Good luck!

Last edited by oneounceload; March 14, 2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 14, 2012, 07:49 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

CDNN has them for $1000, listed in the flier.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:23 AM   #14
zippy13

IMHO, you'll be better off if you shoot your Super X2 a few more seasons, save and increase your budget. Typically trap and Skeet are shot with two different guns if you're serious. If you use one gun for both you're making a compromise.

I have a R-1100 Trap (high stock and rib) model with an extra trap barrel shortened for Skeet. Yes, it works for trap and Skeet casual practice but not nearly as well as my dedicated trap and Skeet guns. I've had several buddies who do reasonably well with with one gun for trap and Skeet. They shoot in the high 90s in practice, but never seem to win in competition.

I don't know how many times I've seen an experienced shooter, with an inappropriate gun, have a mystified look on his face after missing a target. Your gun won't tell you, "Hey Buddy, if you had an appropriate gun, you wouldn't have missed those targets: You keep raising your head because your stock is too low (or, you're picking up the targets too late because of a low rib)." If you're missing when you feel like you did everything right, then you might want to look a little more closely at your gun. Competitive shooters don't have dedicated guns because they look comp-cool, they have them to shoot higher scores.
Old March 14, 2012, 01:08 PM   #15
BigJimP

I think you might be underestimating how long the Win semi-auto will last ...and even if it breaks or major parts are worn ...rebuilding it is only a few hundred dollars.

To say you like a Citori ...isn't enough info ...the issue is "fit" ...while every Citori in the Browning line of guns is a solid gun / there are about 27 different models of the Citori ...and some of them are more suited to Skeet ..some to Trap...some to field hunting...some to sporting...

If I were to recommend one model of the Citori line of guns ...its the XS Skeet model ..with a parallel comb ..ideally you should buy it with the adj comb in it. In a 12ga or a 20ga ...its one model...that will do most everything pretty well. Its not a great Trap gun ...( compared to the Citori XT ) ...but the XT is not as good a gun for sporting or skeet as the XS Skeet model.

In my opinion - your best value is in Beretta or Browning for an O/U ...but you really need to fine tune your search to a couple of specific models that really "fit" you. See if you can shoot some O/U's ...talk to a lot of guys at your local club ...don't be in too big a hurry to go to an O/U until you really understand the dynamics of Fit ( drop at comb, drop at heel, length of pull, etc ) and keep shooting the semi-auto you have for awhile.

30" O/U's are about same overall length as a semi-auto with a 28" barrel ...and only my opinion but an XS Skeet model in 30" barrels is a good all around gun. If a Citori fits you ...then the Beretta options probably will not ...there is quite a bit of difference in the two mfg's...or vice versa...
Old March 14, 2012, 04:57 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

That $1000 Winchester 101 looks like a very good deal for the money, but I notice the CDNN ad lists it as the "Select Model 101". Is the "select" a lesser model that the field grade 101? Still, pound per dollar, it may be a good deal.
Old March 14, 2012, 08:56 PM   #17
cordesr1

I'm not set on new or used. Today i shot the SKB 585 Sporting clays and did not like how it fit. The stock lengths felt good but it seemed like the rib was tilted (asking $850 with factory chokes). I also shot a line with a citory GTI, it felt very comfortable, very close fit to my sx2 plus a few LBS. I do not like the looks of the blued receiver but that's not as important as fit (asking $1000 with leather case and full set of extended chokes). Both used guns.

I Shoot 8-10 lines of skeet or trap a week. I am looking for a skeet gun. My auto will be a designated trap gun.
Old March 14, 2012, 10:39 PM   #18
Fishing_Cabin

If you want under $1000 I would look at a used Browning Citori or similar. If you were looking for new for a little more, I would recommend the same just new.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:12 PM   #19
Creek Henry

Agreed about the X2 rebuild being cheaper than a new gun... I just got an SX3 because the gun should outlast me. If not, then I'll spring for a Citori.

I recently read on some forum that a guy was in an elevator with a national skeet team; naturally he asked about guns. He mentioned Ruger Red Labels and got laughed at but most of the guys said they started shooting or did shoot Citoris.
Old March 15, 2012, 06:48 AM   #20
krimmie

Quote:
I'm not set on new or used. Today i shot the SKB 585 Sporting clays and did not like how it fit. The stock lengths felt good but it seemed like the rib was tilted (asking $850 with factory chokes). I also shot a line with a citory GTI, it felt very comfortable, very close fit to my sx2 plus a few LBS.
Sounds like you're doing it right...handle as many guns as you can. There is a Gander Mountain south of you, that would be a good place to handle quite a few different models. I almost ordered a Citori because evreyone told me it was the cats meow...fortunately I handled one at Bass Pro first, and found it fit me like a landscaping timber!

For me, Beretta's and the Cynergy fit better, but it sounds like the Citori could work for you; again, handle as many differnt models as you can before you purchase.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:59 AM   #21
BigJimP

Guys ...come on .......

We've got to quit talking about the Citori ....like its "one gun" .....the Citori model comes in all kinds of configurations .....from the Citroi XT Trap with 32" barrels and a parallel comb at roughly 10lbs.....to a Citori XS skeet with 30" barrels at roughly 8.5 lbs with the same parallel comb ...to Citori Lightning models in "field configurations" - or even the Citori Satin Hunter model that's under 7lbs in 26" barrels .....

I'm not saying some of the Citori models don't swing like sewer pipes...if you're trying to make a Citori XT Trap with 32" barrels at 10lbs into a Skeet gun ...its going to be a bad comparison...

Same thing on the Browning Cynergy models ...( there are over a dozen of them ) ...and Beretta O/U's must come in about 40 varieties as well....
------------
and Perazzi, Kolar, Blazer, Krieghoff.....and SKB, etc....we can't just dump then into one bucket per mfg....anymore than we can say that all car mfg's are the same...they are in some respects...but in terms of picking a gun ...there is a lot more to it !!
-------------
You don't need a "Skeet gun" to shoot skeet...but there are some optimal configurations for that game that make the most sense....just like there are configurations that make the most sense for Trap....and sporting clays and 5 stand are kind of a hybrid of each .. and you don't need a sporting gun for sporting clays and 5 stand...

and it doesn't mean you can't hunt with a Skeet gun ...or a sporting clays gun...
Old April 19, 2012, 06:33 AM   #22
collapse

I'll jump in here as my first post A few years ago I picked up a Browning Citori Lightning w/26" barrel for $700.00 used. The condition was excellent and it fits me well. I have been considering another shotgun for some time. I an not a fan of anything too fancy. But a few models I've been considering from low, mid & high range. I'm not some seasoned veteran that has shot sporting clays for years with an unlimited budget to spend. I'm just a regular guy that likes to shoot from time to time. Take this opinion for what its worth Chief

Browning Citori Lighting Sporting Clays Edition: With my limited knowledge, I don't think you can find these new. I've been checking Cabela's & gunbroker.com coming up with a few hits. Average price is about 1,200.00 and up depending on the firearm. What I like about this model is it's damn near exact to my current Citori, with a longer ported barrel and depending on the model it has a high or low rib. If I can find what I want, I'll take it

Winchester 101 Sporting: I have yet to see one in person, but the first time I've saw it on their website, I was in love. Looks great, price was right, and having hunted with a 101 before, so I was interested. However, the more I research, the more I keep hearing bits and pieces of people saying they don't like them due to poor quality - I honestly don't know. I'm in the process of getting my ticket here in the GWN so I am unable to handle firearms as of yet. Average price that I've saw State Side & the GWN is about 1,700.00 - 2,000.00. I'd honestly look before buying .....

Browning Citori 725 Sporting: Its new, its expensive and it's a Browning Citori. What more can you really say about it, other than it is a modern day sporting clays shotgun. Average price is about 2,500.00

No matter what you choose, a nice hard break down case always compliments your shotgun well and keeps it safe - Best of luck, thanx for the info on the 101 Poster ^_^
Old April 19, 2012, 09:24 AM   #23
Anthony66

Browning, Beretta and SKB are the only three as I see it. Lots of nice pre-owned ones around for $1000 or less. Any will last you a lifetime of shooting, and more...
Old April 19, 2012, 12:13 PM   #24
TheKlawMan

I don't know the name of it, but there is a large online seller that sells a Win 101 for $1,000. If interested, check that it isn't a "special" built to different specifications.
Old April 19, 2012, 02:25 PM   #25
zippy13

CDNN's $1K Belgian Winchester 101 has been mentioned in previous threads. IINM, as TheKlawMan mentioned, the question that remains unanswered is, what's a Select Model 101? My Winchester catalog doesn't describe it.

CDNN also has other O/Us at $1K and below: Weatherby Orion I (26") at $900 and S&Ws Elite Silver @ $1K. They also have several Lanbers for $700 or less.