The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 31, 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
FLA2760

Gunman In School Drill In NJ-bonehead For Sure

I found this over at THR. Just when I think that the public school system has bottomed out they go do something like this. This has to be the dumbest stunt I have seen in a long time. If you read the responses one poster says that this same nonsense happened at a doctor's office too. Had they done this in places like Florida or Texas I think there would have been real shots fired by the "victims"!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=389219
Old September 1, 2008, 10:36 PM   #2
NMWPerk

Yikes!!

My wife works at a local University and we both live on Campus. Last week (before the college students returned to school) they did a multi-agency drill in one of the unoccupied buildings. When I returned home from work there were all sorts of LE vehicles crowded around the building without their lights running. When I found out what they were up to it was all I could do not to volunteer for a tasering just to be in on it...

It seems to me that they knew what would be the best way to go about it. I've always felt that training is good in the sense that it gives you a baseline from which to make decisions should whatever you are training for come to pass. On the flip side, and likely evidenced by the fools performing such stunts that you posted about, if the training is too realistic folks may go off "fully cocked" as it were.

I hate to think what might happen when people don't stop to think...

Good info...

W. Perkins
Thomas Paine

Last edited by NMWPerk; September 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: primarily formatting
Old September 2, 2008, 04:15 AM   #3
Derius_T

That is one of the stupidest, most ignorant things I have ever seen in my life. Whoever thought up that boneheaded play needs to be fired, and sued into the stone age for what they put those poor people though. Had that been me, after all was said and done, I would have been jailed, because someone would have gotten beaten as severely as I could manage after such an ignorant stunt.

Wouldn't have been too funny if one of those trained sheep had bucked the system and carried that day, and shot the guy full of holes would it? Heads need to roll for anything that ignorant.

At least they won't be trying that crap in a certain Texas school anytime soon....
Old September 2, 2008, 04:09 PM   #4
raimius

Good thing those teachers did exactly what they were trained to do--panic, run, and try to hide.

What happens when some "actor" winds up bashed over the head with an economics book, stabbed multiple times with a pocketknife, or shot?
Old September 4, 2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Daugherty16

And what do our kids do?

Totally agree - whatever idiot administrator thought that one up should be censured or fired outright. That stunt was totally irresponsible, potentially lethal, and patently stupid.

But tell me, if the teachers are "taught" to run and hide and cower in place, what is happening to the kids if, god forbid, another wacked out shooter gets into another school? What are the kids "taught"? To fall down and play dead? Who is looking out for, or after, the kids in such an emergency?

I thought the teachers would go into a lockdown drill AFTER securing all the kids and other known personnel in their vicinity. Then they can cower.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old September 4, 2008, 06:05 PM   #6
raimius

Many shooter scenarios figure every one will act like individual sheep. Teachers are expected to be able to lock an unopposed door and put up a sign...if that.
Old September 4, 2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Threefeathers

I'm glad I live in a military community, we have more weapons per room than any school in the nation. There are at least 5 Ranger qual'ed coaches on just one floor and they vie on how many items can be used as weapons if need be.
Old September 6, 2008, 06:09 PM   #8
raimius

Yeah, going to a military academy, I doubt a shooter in close-quarters would last very long. Every student has taken classes in some sort of combative and/or unarmed combat. ...and I know at least a couple cadets would be upset enough to do something! A good use for N.I.M.B.Y. if I do say so.
Old September 10, 2008, 02:15 PM   #9
kunlao21

Quote:
bashed Over The Head With An Economics Book...
Rofl! :d
Old September 10, 2008, 03:20 PM   #10
Musketeer

According to the police chief in discussing the teachers "running and praying for their lives"

Quote:
"Teachers did a great job and reacted as they were trained."
Why don't they also teach them to line up for the killer?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old September 10, 2008, 04:03 PM   #11
KLRANGL

Conducting that drill in the school I can at least pass off as stupidity, but doing it in a doctors office in a CCW state is downright criminally negligent... Not even informing the cops?
Old September 10, 2008, 04:31 PM   #12
GPossenti

+1 dumbest idea ever

Somebody should have shot him and shown the school district how quickly it would have solved the problem.

Why don't school administrators ever game that situation?