The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
NXMR

870 Express. Had it with barrel rust. Will this work?

Hi all,

I've had it with my 870 express barrel rusting over. I've kroiled it, wiped it down, WD40'd it, wiped it down. Old man rust comes right on back after every damp, cold, frosty morning that I take my gun out.

So here's what I'm thinking.

1) Take the barrel and soak the thing in a bath of "Evaoporust" until the rust is gone. I'm hoping it will take off all that black matte finish as well...

2) When it is finished, take it out and paint it with black Krylon spraypaint.

Anyone else tried this?

More importantly, any warnings or words of advice before I embark on this project?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old April 15, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2
oneounceload

Have you asked Remington for a solution?
How about having a good gunsmith just put a nice bluing on it?
Or at least get one of the dura-cera-whatever name brand - coating process
Old April 15, 2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Sarge

NXMR, I may take that very approach with a worn old police trade in 870 that runs like a champ but looks like hell. I'm thinking along the lines of engine paint.
Old April 15, 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Plug the bore before using the Evaporust. It would take a long time for it to damage the bore, but why risk it?
Flat black Krylon will look OK. They make Duracoat in spray cans if you want to go that route.
Old April 15, 2012, 11:31 PM   #5
TxGun

This Brownell's product has a good reputation:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...MA-HYDE-reg-II
Old April 15, 2012, 11:47 PM   #6
myshoulderissore

Personally, my similar issues went away when I switched to ATF for cleaning/lubing.

I leave it now in the back of my Blaser for weeks at a time, wipe it off every once in a while, inspect it just to be sure, but no more issues.
Old April 16, 2012, 12:26 AM   #7
kozak6

WD40 and Kroil aren't particularly good rust preventatives.

I'd try Eezox, Breakfree CLP, or maybe a wax before spraypainting the barrel.
Old April 16, 2012, 01:35 AM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

WD-40 is useless as a rust preventative...
Old April 16, 2012, 10:13 AM   #9
oneounceload

Quote:
I'd try Eezox, Breakfree CLP, or maybe a wax before spraypainting the barrel.
Another I have heard good things about, but have not personally used, is Boshield, developed by Boeing to protect aircraft components from corrossion
Old April 16, 2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Don P

Quote:
I'd try Eezox, Breakfree CLP, or maybe a wax before spraypainting the barrel
Doing the above is a waste. You will have to degrease the barrel before painting it with whatever you choose for a coating so why apply CLP or Eezox or wax. By doing so and NOT de-greasing the coating will NOT stick
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 16, 2012, 11:44 AM   #11
RaySendero

Quote:
NXMR asked:

Hi all,

I've had it with my 870 express barrel rusting over. I've kroiled it, wiped it down, WD40'd it, wiped it down. Old man rust comes right on back after every damp, cold, frosty morning that I take my gun out.

So here's what I'm thinking.

1) Take the barrel and soak the thing in a bath of "Evaoporust" until the rust is gone. I'm hoping it will take off all that black matte finish as well...

2) When it is finished, take it out and paint it with black Krylon spraypaint.

Anyone else tried this?

More importantly, any warnings or words of advice before I embark on this project?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
NXMR,

Not all of the Rem 870 Express metal finishes rust like you describe!
However, I have one that would rust in the duck blind while I watch it!!!

The problem is Remington did not get the acid quench correct after they applied mine and your shotgun finish. If your's is new, Try contacting Remington for a fix.

If they won't fix it - You can fix it yourself by appling a baking soda paste with say a toothbrush that will quench that acid they left in the finish. However, like you have already found, that's not going to resolve the rust problem you have.

Last edited by RaySendero; April 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old April 16, 2012, 12:11 PM   #12
Sigowner

Just curious....how old is the gun? I just purchased one and while rust is generally not an issue in the AZ desert areas I would like to know if it's something I should pay close attentiion to. Personally, if your's is new I would suggest taking it back to the dealer and let them correct the issue and/or argue with Remington for a replacement under warranty.
Old April 16, 2012, 12:13 PM   #13
NXMR

Thanks for the replies so far all.

I bought my 870 back in 1991 (might have been early 92 - can't remember exactly).

Given some of what I've read above, I'm rethinking my strategy.

I *might* try:

1) degrease barrel
2) use Kroil and rag/toothbrush to get rust off
3) coat barrel with Breakfree CLP

Normally I do steps 1 & 2: degrease, de-rust w/Kroil. After that I've always coated it with Remoil. It's one heck of an aggravating cycle - I know you guys know my pain!

I'd never thought to try to finish it up with something like CLP (or Eezox). I'll try that and if it re-rusts I'm going to strip it down again and paint it up.

Any further insight/advice appreciated.

I'd like to know more about that baking soda trick. I'll google it up!

Thanks again all
Old April 16, 2012, 01:08 PM   #14
BigJimP

BoShield T - 9 is a very good product....I use it on my cast iron table tops ...like my table saw...

I've never tried it on a shotgun barrel...but no reason why it wouldn't work well there too...

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshiel...osol-P3C4.aspx

-----------------
they make a rust and stain remover too....

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshiel...pray-P2C1.aspx

but I do not know what it would do to a "blued" or "parkerized" barrel ...or whatever is on the 870's barrels ....
Old April 16, 2012, 01:57 PM   #15
jmr40

The 870 Express is made to take out, hunt with it, leave it in the bottom of the boat with the mud and decoys, use as a boat paddle if necessary and if you drop it overboard you don't lose much sleep over it. You just go out and buy another gun just like it cheap.

Personally I'd just use it, hose the mud off after a hard hunt, let it dry by the fireplace, re-lube, and take it back out the next day. A little surface rust won't hurt the gun or the resale value. Neither will a can of Krylon if you want to go in that direction. If it were a nice gun I'd be concerned, but not on an Express.

I'f I'm painting it I'd suggest doing it in a camo pattern, stock and all. Imperfections don't show up and are easily touched up. Trying to make it look nice with a solid black color will look fine for about the first 15 minutes in the woods until it starts rubbing off.
Old April 16, 2012, 03:06 PM   #16
the rifleer

Just take the old finish off and sand it with fine sand paper. Then rub it down with rubbing alcohol. Then just use black engine paint. Its good paint and wont come off when it gets hot. I did a gun with it and was happy with the results.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:10 PM   #17
Dfariswheel

The Express barrel and receiver finish is a bead blasted blue job.

The rough finish will do a good job of holding a rust proofing agent.
One method is to use a good rust proofing lube like CLP Breakfree. Apply a dripping wet coat and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
This will dissolve the factory storage lube and soak into the rough finish.
Thereafter, every time you handle or use the gun apply another thin coat of the CLP. This will maintain a Teflon coating that will do a good job.

Another excellent rust proofing method is one long used by salt water duck hunters.
Get a can of Johnson's Paste Wax and apply a fairly thick coat. Heat the metal with a hair dryer until it melts. Allow to dry 30 minutes then wipe off the excess.
The wax coating sheds water and the metal is very rust resistant.

If you want a new finish, don't strip the bluing, just thoroughly degrease the metal then apply the new finish.
The rough surface gives the new finish a "tooth" to bond to and increases adhesion and durability.
A good finish is Brownell's Alum-Hyde II. This is a very tough, durable air hardening finish that comes in an easy to use spray can. Unlike finishes like Lauer Duracoat it isn't a two part mix and you don't have to have a spray gun.
Unlike other finishes it doesn't have to be baked in an oven.

These new epoxy gun finishes are usually more durable then ordinary paints.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Virginian

First I would wash it thoroughly with hot soapy water. Could be residual bluing salts contributing to the problem, and oil won't touch those. Then dry it well and oil it with any good oil; RemOil, Breakfree, Browning, whatever. If that doesn't work, was again, spray with automotive zinc chromate primer and top coat with any good paint - Rustoleum, Krylon, automotive spray paint.
WD-40 is not an excellent lubricant, but it IS a great protectant and corrosion inhibitor. Check the results of any corrosion test.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:28 AM   #19
johnbt

You know why Boeshield works? Wax.

"Boeshield T9 aerosol and liquid lubricants have a unique solvent parrafin wax formula that penetrates, cleans, and displaces moisture"

I've always used Sheath/Barricade on my '93 Express. Saltwater duck hunting didn't affect it at all.

John
Old April 17, 2012, 08:32 AM   #20
johnbt

www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Kroil = useless

WD-40 = not bad, but there were better products tested
Old April 17, 2012, 04:02 PM   #21
TexasFats

For many years, my go-to product for rust prevention has been RIG, now available from Birchwood Casey, IIRC. Two things, both related to the fact that it is a grease and not a liquid: First, it can be difficult to get it into some tight places. Second, it is really easy to get too much on. The lightest, thinest coat that will cover is more than enough. By the way, treat the gun a few times with it, or use a dab on 4-0 steel wool, rubbed lightly over the surface will remove rust quite well. Just remember, nothing will fill in pits caused by rust.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
Old April 18, 2012, 08:21 PM   #22
jhenry

I have the same shotgun, and use it fairly frequently. Won it in a raffle for 10 bucks. I did the happy dance. I use Corrosion X on it and have had zero issues. The stuff flat works and works well.

Mine came with a slug barrel and a ribbed field barrel with screw in choke tubes. I picked up a slightly blue worn 18" cylinder bore tube at the local pushers place for 50 bucks. I am going to have it bead blasted and blued and threaded for tubes. I prefer a tighter pattern than a cylinder bore throws for OO buck.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:59 AM   #23
shortwave

Quote:
spray with automotive zinc chromate primer and top coat with any good paint - Rustoleum, Krylon, automotive spray paint.
+1 Virginian-in-LA

If you are going to paint, remove all rust, wipe down with Prep-Sol or alcohol and use a primer before painting.

If your not going to paint, remove all rust and put several coats of wax on bbl.
You may also want to try Remington 'Dry Lube' with Teflon. I've been using it on the outside of my old,well worn single shot turkey gun for the last 2-3 years. Years of dragging it through the hills took its toll on the blueing and surface rust was always a problem. I used very fine steel wool and ATF on the whole bbl. to remove the rust. Wiped down with alcohol then sprayed a couple coats of dry-lube.
Recoat drylube after outings.
I've threatened to paint it in camo colors for years but have just never got around to it.

Last edited by shortwave; April 19, 2012 at 08:23 AM.