The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
chadio

Beretta 686 barrel length, models, opinions...

So, considering the venerable Beretta 686 for trap (maybe skeet someday). ~I will not be hunting with this shotgun, just shooting trap for sure and maybe skeet someday. Please discuss the differences in a 26, 28, 30" barrel, diffferent models, weights, etc. As a novice am I going to notice a difference in subtle changes in weight or barrel length with the different models?
Old April 12, 2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My White Onyx Sporter came with 32" barrels, Optima chokes.

With aftermarket extended chokes, it's as ponderous as I'd want it to be. With the flush mount chokes, it's a little more lively.

For trap, consider either these or the 30" pipes.

If you can, try out some 686 versions first. I did, and I'm quite happy with my choice.

A good rule here is to get the longest barrels you can handle....
Old April 13, 2012, 12:30 AM   #3
zippy13

If you get the longer barrels, the gun will favor trap. With the shorter barrels it will favor Skeet. IMHO, 26s are way too short.

Will a novice notice the difference?… perhaps not, but you don't want to be a novice for ever. As Dave suggested, try them out before you make your selection.

Another rule of thumb: it's easier to make shorter Skeet barrels work for trap singles than it is to make long trap barrels work for Skeet.
Old April 13, 2012, 06:14 AM   #4
LSnSC

30's will work fine for both. I dont see many 26" or 28" guns at the range any more.
Old April 13, 2012, 01:34 PM   #5
BigJimP

26" ...30" ....the difference is in the swing characteristics...

as my buddy says ..." at what point does it feel like you're swinging a big ole sewer pipe" ...vs a more nimble gun..

Part of the choice is personal .../ but I wouldn't go shorter than a 28" ...or over a 30" for a general purpose gun ( for skeet, sporting clays or bird hunting ) .../ but for a dedicated Trap gun I wouldn't go shorter than a 32".

In general there is less left to right barrel movement in Trap -- than Skeet or sporting or bird hunting...so the longer and heavier barrels make better Trap guns...

For a good versatile gun - I'd suggest the 30" ...and it may not be optimum for Trap ...but it'll be good for skeet and sporting - and ok for Trap.
Old April 13, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
SauerGrapes

Obviously if your looking to shoot clays, you don't want to buy some featherlite shotgun. I like my guns to be in the 8lb range, give or take a few ounces. {7 1\2lbs minimum}
Use to be all you saw on the skeet fields were 26'' and some 28'' barrels. Now, 30'' seems to be the norm. If your primary game is trap, and your not buying a trap specific gun, you can still get 32's. More times than not, if you look for 32's, it's going to be a sporting model and will have ported barrels.

Fit of the gun is the most important thing. The sporting model tend to have longer length of pull than something in a field model.
Beretta has a ''newer" model out, the Silver Pigeon I, it is available with 28 or 30'' barrels. {non ported}It's basically the same as the rest of the 686 breed.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old April 13, 2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My sporter came in at just under 8 lbs when I got it. Now, a little lead weight added and extended chokes bring it to maybe 8 lbs, 5 oz. That. IMO, is about optimum for me. YMMV.

With an aftermarket Limbsaver pad, it comes to 15" or so LOP. It fits well.

Triggers are still a hair heavier than I like, but there's no one local I'd trust it to anymore.
Old April 14, 2012, 08:04 PM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Beretta has a ''newer" model out, the Silver Pigeon I, it is available with 28 or 30'' barrels. {non ported}It's basically the same as the rest of the 686 breed.
I bought one of these so I would have a field gun that comes close to the feel of my 682 Beretta target gun... It works well for skeet and trap.. Based on how it fits and shoots it will tear up birds.. It has a 28" barrel...

Old April 15, 2012, 04:47 PM   #9
oneounceload

FIT is the key, and the Beretta's competition in that range - Browning - are also good guns. I say this only because if one fits you well, the odds are the other will not - and if the Beretta does not, look at the Browning.

Otherwise, the longest barrels will have the smoothest swing dynamics - important in clay games, especially trap and skeet where the target trajectory is a constant. You'll really want a gun in the 8+ pound range

My all-around O/U has 32" tubes and weighs about 8.25# - with 3/4 or 7/8oz target loads, it is fun to shoot all day - and my shoulder prefers it that way!..
Old April 16, 2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Anthony66

a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 12/30" would make a versatile gun. A reasonably priced gun, good for all the shooting sports.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:31 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

Damn, Weatherby. Where you been boy, cause it looks like they will let anyone shoot where that pic was taken. As familiar as the dude seems, I just can't place the ugly cuss. Be careful around those suspicious looking guys with guns.
Old April 16, 2012, 11:50 PM   #12
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Damn, Weatherby. Where you been boy, cause it looks like they will let anyone shoot where that pic was taken. As familiar as the dude seems, I just can't place the ugly cuss. Be careful around those suspicious looking guys with guns.
LOL
Old April 17, 2012, 02:41 AM   #13
mete

Mine is 28" and has been used for hunting and sporting clays. 7.25 lbs well balanced ,I'm very happy with it.
BTW a 28" O/U has the same OAL as a 24" auto or pump.
Old April 17, 2012, 12:03 PM   #14
chadio

Quote:
..." at what point does it feel like you're swinging a big ole sewer pipe" ....
I like that comparison!

But seriously, lots of useful information here and I appreciate all the advice.
Old April 17, 2012, 12:06 PM   #15
chadio

Some of you might enjoy this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NjLIc44H_U