The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1
bustersmaster

ATI tactical stock

I'm aware of all the pros and cons of an ati pistol grip with full buttstock on a mossberg 500, but I do seem to have a problem with the installation. The slide no longer racks all the way back with that buttstock installed. I'm thinking that the original stock bolt is too long, but it looked about the same length coming out of the ATI stock as it did coming out of the Mossberg stock. I haven't had a chance to get into it yet since discovering this problem. As I recall, the directions didn't make a lot of sense and there was a bunch of adaptors that came with it that it may or may not have needed. I just used the one that resembles a sort of wedge shape that fits all the way into the narrow part of the stock. The directions did say that the Mossy didn't use adaptors, but I couldn't see how it could be installed any other way than what I did. Maybe someone could enlighten me before I tackle this problem.
Thanks
Old April 13, 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
bustersmaster

ATI stock

Just got a chance to get into it today. Sure enough, that stock bolt is too long for the ATI stock. I put a 3/8" shim between the bolthead and the insert they provide and it seems to cycle just fine. Seems like they could let you know stuff like that in the instructions. I may look for a different bolt or think about cutting that one down. I'm guessing they don't offer bolts in 3/8" increments and not sure if a 1/2" would be enough bolt.
Old April 15, 2012, 03:38 AM   #3
arentol

The ATI stock should come with the proper bolt for use in the Mossberg. You are NOT supposed to use the original stock bolt. The instructions made perfect sense to me, and mine works perfectly.

Also, I think you can also find installation videos on Youtube if you are having trouble.

Last edited by arentol; April 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old April 15, 2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Rob96

Agree with the above. Comes with everything you need including a spacer that drops the stock a little which gives a little more bolt clearance on top of it.
Old April 15, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
bustersmaster

ati

Nope, no bolt came with it and all the parts that did come were in the same factory sealed bag. I can't believe we're talking about the same instructions either.