The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 2, 2006, 01:21 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Archery gear: Pendulum sights and gobbler guillotine?

took a practice shot from my stand this weekend; missed high. I don't get much of a chance to practice from an elevated position, so......these pendulum sights, that are supposed to automatically correct for the angle, via the tilting of the whole sight unit - the concept seems sound - do they work in reality? If so, what brand is a good value?

Also, get a load of the "gobbler guillotine" - this is a new one on me - anyone used one with success? Anyone used one without success?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0025776490189a.shtml

Thanks.

P.S. It was much too hot for deer hunting (92 deg high) - shoulda stayed at home. Sweat, mosquitoes, ticks, spider webs, deer smell me from a half mile away - bah.
Old October 2, 2006, 01:38 PM   #2
NRA4life

Can't remember where I seen it, either TFL or THR, but there's a video posted showing the archer shooting at a turkey and lopping it's head off with the shot. I assume it's the same product. It appeared to work rather well.
Old October 2, 2006, 02:12 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

ok, thanks - found the video at the maker's website....

http://www.arrow-dynamic-solutions.com/

scroll down and the video is on the left - wow, I'd have to say it DOES work.
Old October 3, 2006, 05:08 AM   #4
Desertfox

FF I have mounted a few pendulum sights on bows for other folks. They are fine if you want them, as with any equipment.
Just remember to aim for the exit hole from an elevated stand not the enterance. I am sure you know this but I will explain for the sake of explaining.

Aim your shot to come out in the kill zone on the exit side of the animal. It will be high on the enterance side but imagine the arrow passing thru and exiting in the ten ring (heart).
It has been my experience that high shots from elevated stands tend to kill deer quicker than low. The arrow must be exiting in the right place. High enterance lung shots leave little blood if they don't exit.

BTW, 45 yards past my shot last night, I found my doe piled up. High lung shot, a little farther back than I wanted but insta-kill none-the-less.
Old October 3, 2006, 06:46 AM   #5
ZeroJunk

I have never used a pendulum sight but if I had started out with them they might be the best thing since sliced bread.You know how that goes.Whatever you use, practice shooting down.As DF says a deer's vitals are a different perspective at a 45 or 60 degree vertical angle.Also,when shooting a bow, posture is very important.Leaning down will change most peoples point of impact because it can change the relationship between the eye, the anchor point,and the bow.As will leaning left or right to shoot around something.
Old October 3, 2006, 10:53 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

Thanks, DF. I'm gonna look into the pendulum sights.

Quote:
BTW, 45 yards past my shot last night, I found my doe piled up. High lung shot, a little farther back than I wanted but insta-kill none-the-less.
You bastard - I'm jealous. Dang I must be a really bad hunter, or you really good, or both. You make it seem so easy. I have the damndest time getting a deer with archery. Seems to be 100 to 1,000 times harder than with a rifle, not merely twice as hard. But there's always next weekend. And the next, ....
Old October 4, 2006, 10:40 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Anyone have a recommendation on a good pendulum sight?
Old October 5, 2006, 01:11 AM   #8
FrontSight

WOW, seen the product, but not the video before.