The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 18, 2012, 05:58 PM   #1
JGulley317

Glock 26 Review

I went to the range yesterday for the first time (not my first time ever) to compare some handguns I'm interested in buying. Unfortunately out of the 8, the only one my range had was the Glock 26. I didn't have anything to compare it to, which was the main purpose of going to the range, never the less I'm very glad I gave it a shot! I just wanted to share my opinion of the Glock 26. Some of you can chime in.

On my list, the Glock 26 and the Sig P239 are the most comparable. In terms of size. The Glock 26 and the Sig P239 are the only subcompacts I'm interested in. I use subcompact term lightly for the Sig. IMO, I believe it's borderline compact. Though back to the Glock 26. It is the lightest and smallest gun on my list. It's priced around the middle of the other guns I'm looking at.

The Grip: I have read that it either fits you or not. I'd say this gun fit just great in my hands! I forgot to look to see what Gen it was, I believe 3. So unlike the Gen 4 with the changeable grips. The Gen 3 stock grips is what I held. The range gave me one mag. with the pinky ext. I should have taken it off, I wasn't thinking about it. Because in EDC I most likely would keep it off.

The Recoil: Was great for a small gun like that. Expected a bit more, I was surprised. Though the gun I do decide I want, I'd like to try in .40 before I buy. This would probably not be an option. I'm a new shooter, so would not be comfortable until more experience with .40 with the size of the gun.

The Accuracy: I'm a new shooter when it comes to handguns. But from 25 ft. I had great shot placement. Shot a little down and to the left for me. Though I was happy when returning the target.

Concealability: I didn't want to bother the gun shop about a holster and how the Glock would fit on me because they we're busy. Though I did place it in the small of my back with no problem, plenty of room!

The Trigger: I thought it was good, better then my friends S&W VE. That's the only other handgun I have to compare it to. I don't know why people would be worried about Glocks just going off. You've got to give it a good pull! I'd feel very comfortable holstering with one in the chamber.

Hiccups: The gun had one jam. I don't know what it was exactly, my friend said the gun was dirty. The shop said limp wristing. I know I wasn't limp wristing because the gun shot low and to the left for me. So I was shooting higher before the jam. Maybe I was limp wristing, I don't know. I heard Glocks have a problem with limp wristing. But it wasn't Glock problem, I'm sure of that. Some other factor...

Overall: I think after I try the other 7 I'm interested in. The Glock 26 will be one of the last 2 or 3 it boils down to. What a great gun in a great package. I was impressed. Enjoyed shooting despite being a small gun. I was confident when shooting it.

Next time I'll be going to a different range which will have a few others I'm looking at that I can actually compare.

JMO and review, Gulley

Last edited by JGulley317; February 18, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
TailGator

The Glock 26 is a very popular concealment pistol. I have one myself, and carry it every day. It fits the right niche for me in compromising between capacity and concealment.

Please re-think small of the back carry. Among its several disadvantages are the difficulty in drawing without sweeping your lower torso, the possibility of back injuries if you fall on the pistol, and most common of all, having your cover garment ride up without you knowing it.

The G26 is, indeed, remarkably accurate for a gun of its type. Shooting low and to the left usually means the shooter is anticipating the shot and jerking the trigger a little. Check yourself with dry fire practice after you get your own pistol.

Regarding the trigger: The Glock trigger can be good or awful depending on what you compare it to. Someone like me who shot double-action revolvers for years think the Glock trigger is a treat when he first picks it up. If you are used to a 1911 trigger, well, not so much.

Welcome to the forum. I appreciate your enthusiasm. You are doing the right thing by trying out several pistols that interest you before making a final decision.
Old February 18, 2012, 09:02 PM   #3
JGulley317

I wouldn't like using the small of my back. It's just I didn't have a holster since it was a rental and that's where I have the most room anywhere around my waste. Of course the gun wasn't loaded when tried this. The most comfortable position for me would be 3 to 4 o'clock position IWB.
Old February 18, 2012, 09:05 PM   #4
kman55

The 26 is great, my favorite part of it is the ease of concealing it!
Old February 18, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
frigate88

I def agree about carrying it on the small of your back for those reasons. I love my G26 but I gave to my wife along with the G19 which is the compact version. I carry the G27 every day off duty which is the same as the G26 but it's chambered in .40. There's a little difference in recoil, but not much in my opinion. It's def manageable and I'm extremely accurate with it. I would suggest sticking with the 9mm until you're a little more experienced with hand guns. 1 reason is that it does have less recoil so you won't be to prone to developing bad habits and 2 it's cheaper to shoot. Once you decide from there being a more confident shooter you could progress to the .40. Or you could just get the G27 .40 and also buy the 9mm conversion barrel for it that way you can shoot both 9mm and the .40 out of the same pistol. Hope this helps. Good luck, and let us know the outcome.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for thier own actions."
****BLEED BLUE, 10-8****
Old February 18, 2012, 10:13 PM   #6
therealrasta

Glock 26 is a really nice gun. I have owned one for about 8 years and ccw'd with it for a long time. But I did find it a bit boxy an difficult to conceal without imprinting during the summer months and in cooler months with regular fitting jeans. If you wear baggy or loose fit you will be fine.

So now I carry the pf-9 cause I prefer snug fit attire. I still own and have the glock 26 but to be honest.. I never shoot it anymore as it does not fit any role for me anymore.. If I want to go to the range for some fun shooting, I use a Ruger P-95.. For ccw practice I stick with the pf-9 as it conceals very nicely for me.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Jimboski

Great Handgun

Just got a glock 26 gen 3 last week, could'nt be happier. One feature that really sold me on it is the factory 30 round mags. So Much fun at the range!
Plus enough gun for ccw. Great gun! Pretty much all I could want/need in a semi-auto handgun. Cheers!
Old January 30, 2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Mystro

I leave a Glock 27 in my ATV all the time. Its obviously the same size as the G26. Its a great flyfishing gun as well.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 30, 2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Ozzieman

I’ve owned mine for a number of years now and I have nothing very positive things to say about it. I also was surprised at the recoil or lack of it.
Personally I don’t and wouldn’t own a magazine without the pinky extension. It doesn’t increase the length that much and it improves the hold. For me it keeps the muzzle more in line instead of point slightly up when in the hand.
The only real complaints and there are only two. The sights suck. A good set of Trijicon fixed that and the other was the magazine release. For some it might be alright but I couldn’t get a clean mag drop with it. An extended release fixed that.
Not a real issue but mine is an early generation and the grip was slick in the summer. I put a set of grip panes that are nothing more than sand paper cut perfectly to match the side of the grip. I have to say that I didn’t like the gun until I put a set on. A Glock rep suggested them and put them on for me. For 20$ it made the gun very easy to grip in hot steamy weather.
I would also suggest if you get a 26 is to buy a G17 magazine and get the rubber cover for the bottom of the magazine. Not for carry but for around the home defense. The balance of the gun with that magazine has to be felt to be believed.In the photo it doesn’t look like the rubber cover at the bottom fits that well but it really works well.
I am not one of those Glockholock’s that say the Glock, any Glock is perfect and the best gun in the world but, Glock does a good job getting there.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:19 AM   #10
bigghoss

Before I moved and had a carry permit I almost never left home without my G26(and will do so again once I get my CO permit), Some days as a primary, others as a BUG to my G17. I really like being able to use the larger mags in the smaller gun. Need to get a G19 though as it's hard to keep the but of the 17 from printing.