The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Zombie Steve

Temperature and Digital scales

I've been using a RCBS 505 scale until last week - found a deal on a Lyman 1200 DPS II (older version, hence the deal). Anyway, I've heard people say that temperature swings can throw digital scales / powder dispensers off. The only place I have to reload is in my garage. The garage is below grade, so it doesn't get extremely cold there (kind of like a cave), but it definitely gets some temp swings. Not being really excited to start up a space heater around a bunch of powder, I'm wondering if it will really make that much difference...

Thoughts / experiences? Thanks in advance.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:26 PM   #2
amamnn

I normally load in a fairly well controlled environment. However, I have a friend who loads at the range and uses a PACT battery powered digital to check his powder drops every now and then. I've never heard him complain that he was getting any undue variation. He's pretty vocal about malfunctions. We get some fairly wide weather variations here.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:58 PM   #3
LHB1

Steve,
Run some tests. Set up both scales (properly zeroed/balanced) and then weigh several small objects, bullets, cases, powder charges, etc. See how they compare. I have a very old Lyman/Ohaus M10 (now sold as RCBS 1010) which I use to check my newer, digital RCBS scale. For me, the old faithful balance beam scale is the final arbiter if they disagree.
Old October 12, 2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Zombie Steve

I have a couple known "control" weights, and they seem to check out just fine. I'll follow directions, let it warm up for a half hour minimum, and recalibrate each time just in case.
I was really just wondering if what I was hearing was more gunstore bs or if it had some merit. After all, I'm sure dial calipers change a miniscule amount in the cold... thermodynamics and all.

Maybe I'll load one on a cold day, pull it on a hot one and see if there's any difference just for fun.

Just as a side note - that Lyman is pretty darn fast. I only have a single stage Rockchucker and it's done with the next charge before I can seat the bullet and measure OAL... it's pretty slick.
Old October 12, 2008, 11:10 PM   #5
DIXIEDOG

I don't know about the Lyman but my RCBS Chargemaster works excellent at all temps, I've checked it back to my beam scale a zillion times but they always match regardless of temp. (Only used it down to around 20 F so I don't know about any colder conditions yet)
Old October 12, 2008, 11:13 PM   #6
LHB1

My RCBS digital scale sits out in the garage year round. Temperatures range from 100 degrees in summer to 25-30 degrees in winter. Have not noticed any significant changes on powder charge weights at any times of the year. I especially like the magnetic damping on the RCBS, Lyman, Ohaus 1010/505 series scales. They are quick and accurate without being messy like the old balance beam scales with oil reservoir damping.
Old October 12, 2008, 11:18 PM   #7
Zombie Steve

Good to hear, fellas.
Old October 13, 2008, 03:59 PM   #8
BigJimP

I use the RCBS digital as well - and I load in my basement now, with no significant temp swings, but when I have loaded in my garage, I did notice the scale loses its zero setting quite a bit if there is a draft in the area.

My garage is probably an average temp of 35 - 65 year round - so not a big swing in temp / but if both doors were open it was a problem.

Letting the scale warm up, calibrating it frequently, etc is the right thing to do.