The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 16, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
chris in va

Talked with a (sorta) anti friend.

She gets the whole CC thing but was very adamant about people not 'needing' semiautomatic rifles...of any flavor. Being from NJ it's certainly understandable the mentality, so I basically educated her about various uses and platforms.

Hopefully her eyes were opened about 'need' vs 'want' with guns. I also had to correct her about the necessity of deer hunting, as she put it "they can't just get some ground beef at the store?".

Mods, please understand this has been an ongoing discussion with my friend, before the latest turn of events.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
jakemonroe

when someone tells me that there is no need to "assault weapons" or high cap magazines because you don't need it for hunting i respond by saying "when the second amendment was made it wasn't to protect our right to hunt". it was to make sure that civilian always have a fighting chance in the face of bullies. whether it be a corrupted government, a mob during rival unrest or a crazy guy. one things for sure i may not always "need" 11+ rounds in my gun but if i ever had to use my guns for defense I'm for sure going to want them
Old December 17, 2012, 01:19 AM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

I try drawing the comparison of need to alcohol. No one needs it, but used responsibly, it doesnt hurt anyone (well, not a lot). No one is clammering to ban that anymore, yet it hurts and kills a lot of people when used in the wrong way. I think that is a good way to illistrate the need point, without having to say protection against foreign and domestic enimes, which a lot of people don't seem to be receptive too.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Buzzcook

There is no need. For the majority of people guns are frivolous extras.

The same can be said about a lot of the things we own and use.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:26 AM   #5
iraiam

Quote:
There is no need. For the majority of people guns are frivolous extras.
As someone who is very likely only alive today because I own guns, I would respectfully disagree.

There are fundamental reasons beyond hunting and SD as well, but I won't get into those as it would most likely be considered "political", but lets just say that there will never be a boot on my throat in the middle of the night without a major fight.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; December 17, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old December 17, 2012, 05:15 AM   #6
NWPilgrim

While only a fraction of gun owners will "need" their gun for self defense, none of us know who is in that fraction. Violence can visit a person any day or time. Since we don't know when or who, then essentially we ALL need them in case we are in that fraction of potential victims.

And when it comes to discouraging tyrants then the more gun owners the better.

In either use of a gun I can't think why I would want to legally limit myself regarding type of gun or amount of ammo it carries when the attacker likely is not following that law either while he is committing other crimes of assault.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:00 AM   #7
JBeechel

"i may not always "need" 11+ rounds in my gun but if i ever had to use my guns for defense I'm for sure going to want them"

I have to agree here. If you read enough of the defensive gun use stories out there you realize how often a home invasion is 3-4 people. Hell there was a story a week or two back where there were six invaders.

I sure as hell want more than 11+1 for six people.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:24 AM   #8
NickySantoro

Tell her no one needs a car that goes over 55 mph. Bet she has one.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Dwight55

When we get to "need" vs "want", . . . there are many, many categories other than semi-auto rifles that can be discussed:

Diamonds, emeralds, rubies? Absolutely NO need by anyone, anywhere, anytime. Can make an ugly redhead a bit more presentable though.

Cheetos, Fritos, Lays Potato Chips? Again No need, . . . fun, yeah, but not necessary. Even an ugly brunette looks better with a bag of Chili-Cheese Fritos in her hand, . . . especially the big bag.

Porsches, Corvettes, Lamborghinis? Generally a waste of good horsepower, . . . but as above, . . . can be fun, . . . and can make an ugly blonde somewhat more attractive.

Anyway, . . . just some Monday morning musings.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 17, 2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Famas

If our fundamental human rights were based solely on "necessities" , then our society as a whole would be an Orwellian dream come true. Unfortunately, there seems to be a growing mentality among collectivists that, while not only are certain things permissible and other things are not, these same collectivist wish to arbitrate to the rest of us what those things may be.