The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 2, 2001, 11:10 PM   #1
PDshooter

"Fobus Holsters"

Dose anyone use Fobus holsters? If so how good are they. Whats the Pro's and Con's.
Old December 3, 2001, 03:00 PM   #2
E. BeauBeaux

I have 3 set's for different weapons. Work's great in IDPA. Haven't had any problem's so can't say anything bad about them.
Old December 3, 2001, 04:05 PM   #3
Jim Watson

They are inexpensive, very light - I can't see the sense of buying an aluminum or plastic framed gun and sticking it in half a pound of hide - and the paddle fits the radius of my hip. I like them. The Uncle Mike's Kydex is a better holster, but I like the Fobus paddle better than either the UM paddle or belt loop. Their only disadvantage is that some guns' muzzles protrude and Fobus' sight channels are small. A 1911 with a post front sight will hang up drawing from Fobus. A shallow ramp is ok and a Commander is completely enclosed.
Old December 3, 2001, 05:56 PM   #4
9mmepiphany

have a forbus for my beretta 92/96, glock 19, smith j-frame and have no complaints

i use mine for going back and forth to work so the paddle works really well. it is very stable on the waist, hold the gun securely and is very light. they ride a bit low for serious CCW but good for everything else.
Old December 3, 2001, 08:04 PM   #5
Boris49

Spray the inside with Armor-all, let sit, then wipe clean. A very smooth draw results. And won't harm your hardware.
Old December 4, 2001, 03:00 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

(TESTING FOBUS - MAG POUCHES IN SINGLE- AND DOUBLE_STACK)

Decent retention, stable on belt, cheap!, durable so far.

Still prefer half-pound cow or horse for (METAL) gun.
Old December 4, 2001, 06:45 PM   #7
corsair

Use both holster and double-mag carrier during class' this weekend. Both worked outstandingly!!! Holster carrys my 226, muzzle does not protrude, in fact its an exact fit. Have had it for about a year now and it still locks my pistol in place. The mag carrier was brand new and performed like a champ. After a little practice draws of a spare mag I was locked in and ready to go.

You won't be disapointed. Best small dollar investment I've made for my Sig.

Leather just seems to look a whole lot better with a 1911 though...
Old December 4, 2001, 08:44 PM   #8
Waterdog

I just purchased Uncle Mikes Kydex (belt) for my G17. I like it, it snaps in and out cleanly.

I also own their double mag carrier, it doesn't have enought adjustment, it is difficult to remove the mags.

Waterdog
Old December 5, 2001, 08:14 PM   #9
David Park

I have the roto paddle for my SIG P239 and it works as advertised. Cheap, quick on and off, holds gun securely. My only complaint is that it's a generic design that holds up to the full-size 226, so the holster is about an inch longer than the gun. Also, they don't make 9mm single stack mag holders last time I checked.
Old December 6, 2001, 01:05 PM   #10
PeacefulWarrior

My department issues them for the Glock 30 that detectives carry,and they are happy. Guys in uniform have bought them for the Glock 2l and are happy. I also have one for my Glock 36 and I am happy. I use my Fobus for IDPA and it has worked well. Best of all for around $45 yo can get a holster and mag carrier. Most leather holster that are quality would cost you more than that.
Old December 7, 2001, 07:49 AM   #11
BluesBlade

I'm using one now for my Colt Comm. Only thing I don't like is that the gun is not snug and has a little bit of movement while in the holster. The Uncle Mike's is the same. Even tho it rattles a bit, it is secure and snaps right in and out.
Old December 8, 2001, 01:11 AM   #12
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

A good value for the money - - -

Fobus C21 holds my Commander very nicely. Govt Model 1911 leaves front end exposed, though. Concealment is adequate under a loose vest or tail-out shirt, but not as good as with a good belt slide. The angle of tilt is completely ideal for me.

I also have their paddle holster for my Glock 19. Same comments apply.

I also have one supposedly made for Browning High power but it is WAY too tight. Both .40 and 9mm High Power fit well enough in the C21.

The G-Code holster is FAR better made and fitted, but their paddle model rides TOO high for me, and I can't use the straight up-and-down with no tilt.

All in all, well satisfied with Fobus.

Best,
Johnny
Old December 11, 2001, 11:22 PM   #13
j-heart

What is the difference between a belt and paddle holster? What are the pros and cons of both?
Old December 12, 2001, 01:05 PM   #14
David Park

A belt holster has belt loops, and to put it on or take it off you have to unbuckle your belt.
Pro: stays in place, usually pretty small
Con: slow on and off

A paddle holster has a large curved paddle instead of belt loops. The paddle slips over the belt inside (or outside) your pants. These are popular with FBI desk jockeys and others that don't normally wear a holster.
Pro: quick on and off
Con: big paddle can be uncomfortable, could work loose

The good paddle designs are just as secure as the belt design. The Fobus paddle has ridges that hook underneath a belt, and it's only come loose when I slip it over my pants without a belt. I find the Fobus paddle a little uncomfortable, but I have bony hips.

Visual aids here: http://www.fobusholster.com/
Old December 12, 2001, 01:08 PM   #15
9mmepiphany

a belt holster is attached to the belt THROUGH belt loops/slots attached/intergral to the body of the holster.

a paddle holster is attached to the belt/waistband by an overlapping flap/paddle attached, only at the top, to the holster body. the holster is put on by sliding the paddle inside the waist band, with the body outside, where it is retained (on well designed models) by interlocking tabs.

the belt hoster will usually ride closer to the body and be more stable, as to placement, on the belt...somtimes you have to fiddle with placement to accomadate the belt loops.

the paddle holster slips on and off without having to unbelt...it can even be worn without a belt...and can be placed without regard to the beltloops. it usually rides further away and lower on the body