The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2001, 11:56 AM   #1
Romulus

I recently picked up this gorgeous new piece. While cleaning, lubing, stock-waxing, etc, I noticed that the metal on the receiver, around the barrel, is about 22 ga. The top of the receiver also has been milled with long skinny grooves, and the consequent metal thickness there is quite reduced (again, about 22 ga.) This scares me, I would imagine the receiver could get dented quite easily...

Please someone say it ain't so...
Old March 30, 2001, 06:17 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dunno how big 22 ga is,Rom, but the receivers on mine are also quite thin, and no problems in 40 plus years.
Old March 30, 2001, 11:51 PM   #3
DML

This is just a perception problem. Your receiver has the same dimensions as the 870 has always had. In fact, the older Wingmasters are even thinner. The new Express models are a little bit thicker because Remington doesn't polish them.

Don't worry about it. There really isn't much stress in that area. The only way you might run into a problem is if you clamp the receiver in a vise with out the barrel installed. I know, I've done it. No big deal though. It's easy to fix.
Old March 31, 2001, 12:15 AM   #4
Romulus

I figured that if it were really a problem it would have surfaced by now...I just didn't know if the newer Police Magnums like mine were skinnier guns than the older models...

Thanks for the info, and she is a beaut...

By the way, DML, how do you fix that kind of damage?
Old March 31, 2001, 03:19 AM   #5
DML

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

The deformation I mentioned is actually very small. You only notice it when you try to insert the barrel into the receiver. I take a hammer handle and work it side to side with moderate pressure. You can feel the sides of the receiver give a little. Not a big deal.