The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 14, 2015, 06:51 PM   #1
ronl

H&K USP

Just picked up a very lightly used .45 H&K USP today. What can I expect from this pistol? From what I've read, it is supposed to be excellent. Would like to hear some real world opinions.
Old April 14, 2015, 07:58 PM   #2
sigarms228

I compared both USP 45 and HK45 shooting side by side and I ended up getting the HK45.

Both the USP 45 and the HK45 have a huge following and for good reasons.

If your USP 45 fits you well you will love it.
Old April 14, 2015, 08:02 PM   #3
Microgunner

I owned the. 40S&W version of this pistol. Never malfunctioned, not once, ever, even when I tried to induce a malfunction.
I used to shoot it with my BIL and his SIG P220. They were both accurate pistols but the HK was the consistent winner, in both of our hands.
I now own a HK 45C, even better.
Old April 14, 2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Bentonville

Reliability, durability, accuracy, easy to maintain, quality materials and manufacturing process, and excellent Customer Service ( even if you are not the original owner). This is what you can expect from a USP. I like to browse hkpro.com for HK information on the HK Handgun Forum. Those guys know that product on every level.
Enjoy your new gun.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:18 AM   #5
PSP

The USP, in any of it's various models, is a world class pistol. Very reliable, robust and accurate. You now own a great gun that won't let you down.
Old April 15, 2015, 09:09 AM   #6
Mystro

USP is the gold standard for polymer DA/SA. I own a few USP Compacts since their introduction and they are still without any failures.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old April 15, 2015, 12:33 PM   #7
rt11002003

I have four USP's. They're either Tactical, or Expert models. Selected them because they have match triggers and "O" ring barrels. Accurate and reliable. Also have a Mark 23, super pistol, fun to shoot. Wish the trigger was about 4 pounds, like the match triggers, instead of somewhere around 7 pounds.

USP's have an almost cult like following, as appears to be the case for all H&K weapons.
Old April 15, 2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Hammerhead

I had a USP 45, great gun. I shot some of my very best off-hand groups with it at 50 yards, equaling my Les Baer .38 Super 1911 and my Freedom Arms model 97 .357. Recoil is very soft for a .45 auto, and the SA trigger is very good (hopefully you have the SA/DA variant 1).DA trigger is usable, but not as good as a nice revolver or a Sig.
In a nut shell you have the most reliable and accurate .45 made.

I switched to a HK45C because I wanted something smaller, more concealable, otherwise I would have stuck with the USP.
Old April 15, 2015, 11:38 PM   #9
45Gunner

I have four HK's, three of which are USP models. Actually had one of them issued to me by a Government Agency. I like the duty gun so much that I went out and bought one for my own private use. One can never go wrong with an HK.

When I bought my first one, I didn't like the trigger. I tried to have a gunsmith work it for me and his remarks were "You will ruin the gun if you mess with it. Get used to the trigger." He was absolutely right.
NRA Life Member
Old April 15, 2015, 11:52 PM   #10
Mosin44az

I have owned 3 USP compacts in .40. While generally excellent, my first snapped its firing pin in half while dry firing. The back half fell out of the gun.

The replacement pin revealed why--looks like a very weak design, with two cutouts right next to each other, right in the middle of the pin.

Might have been a bad run, but I would be careful dry-firing too much without snap caps.
Old April 16, 2015, 12:00 AM   #11
SHE3PDOG

I no longer own one, but I wish I had kept it. It's a very reliable work horse. Some models are a little under sprung, but that's an easy fix with a new spring.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 16, 2015, 08:03 AM   #12
ragwd

I have a USP 45 compact. 8 years without a hiccup. Im not a H&K fanboy, cause there are lots of great pistols out there. It is just a reliable, fun pistol. If I had the money and need, I would buy another. But I would say that about my Glocks, Sigs also.
Old April 17, 2015, 02:34 AM   #13
softmentor

I have several full size USP in 45, 40 and 9 and love them all. 3 are safe queens but the rest have all been shot, 2 with over 10,000 rounds and never a failure.
The reason I choose H&K? Bottom line.... I hit the 10 ring more with it than any other gun I have tried.
You can expect trouble free, accurate shooting.
You can also expect one other thing. a new addiction.