The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 10, 2001, 08:30 PM   #1
k77/22rp

I am considering buying a mossberg 500 in 20ga i have had no experience with mossberg and am wondering if its a good overall shotgun it will be mainly used for deer hunting and maybe small game, how is reliability,and quality,
or is there a better 20ga pump for around the same price
Old April 10, 2001, 11:09 PM   #2
Doc Hudson

Buy it!

I've used Mossberg shotguns with complete satisfaction for over twenty-five years.

The only malfunction I've ever had with a Mossberg was caused by a severe case of Buck Fever. I short shucked the action after I missed a deer at about five yards.

My Mossberg M-500 is reliable enough I've staked my life on them several times, and one lives next to my bed as my "Things-That-Go-Bump-In-The-Night-Gun", I can not endorse a gun any higher than that.

Doc Hudson
Old April 10, 2001, 11:48 PM   #3
J. Parker

I've had both. The basic Mossy 500 with the short barrel and long one for $219.95 at Big Five Sporting goods. Believe me, I'm no expert but it worked great for me. Later on I bought a Remington 870 HD (home defense) and it worked just fine also. I did recently pick up a old Mossberg 500 slug gun for $135 at a pawn shop. It has Western Field stamped on it but that was just the name Monkey wards used. It's smooth as silk and in great shape. Actually, you can't go wrong with either. The Mossbergs won't cost as much. Good luck, J. Parker
Old April 11, 2001, 08:13 AM   #4
Steve B

I`ve shot a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 for a while now and I have no complaints at all. I wouldn`t hesitate to recommend it to anyone, especially for hunting.
Old April 11, 2001, 08:21 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Any 870 will probably outlast that Mossy, but the work life of either for the purposes you describe would be measured in generations, not years.Not bad for inexpensive pumpguns.

Heavy usage would break down a Mossy first, but surely not immediately.

An Ithaca 37 in 20 ga is another good choice, a fast swinging, lightweight upland gun. More expensive, but a lifetime companion of great utility.A 37 Deerslayer in either 12 or 20 gauge is one of the great woods style deer guns.

And the 870 Expresses (and used 870s,oft of better workmanship and steel parts) still remains the Most Gun For The Money,IMO.
Old April 12, 2001, 10:57 AM   #6
Poodleshooter

Buy it. My Mossy500 is a 15yr old handmedown and has a great slick action due to all of the use. I wouldn't trade it for the world!