The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2013, 05:48 PM   #1
MikeSD

Scope Mounting Question - Changing ring spacing

I have a Savage 93, .22 WMR. The stock scope mounting rails are short 1" rails about 5" apart.

The scope I have is a Leupold VX-2 3-9x33 Rimfire EFR. It's a nice scope but the eye relief is short (3.1" to 3.4" or thereabouts). If I mount the rings on the stock rails, I can't move the scope back far enough to get the most optimal placement to accommodate the short eye relief. The front ring is right up to the front of the tube and the rings can't be moved reward.

I'd like to be able to move the entire scope rearward about 1".

I've ordered an EGW rail, for this rifle. It won't allow the rear ring to be mounted any further back than the stock mounts. However, it will allow me to move the front ring backward 1". This would allow me to move the scope rearward that extra inch I need. What this would also do, however is make the ring spacing only 4" instead of 5".

I don't recall the actual spacing of the rings but it's about 5" or so, and this would be moving them closer by 1". What I'm wondering is if having the scope rings only 4" apart will cause any damage to the scope vs. the 5" spacing of a standard mount, due to vibration or recoil. The scope overall length is 11.6". It's only a .22 magnum but still I wonder. Any idea?
Old January 2, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2
PetahW

Don't worry - be happy (and shoot the snot out of it). .

Old January 2, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
MikeSD

The funny thing is, I only bought the rifle because I did an inventory of ammo and found 1400 rounds of .22 WMR and nothing to shot it in.

But looking at this rifle, I happened to take a look at the .17 HMR. Might get one of those too. I bought 7 of the mags for the .22 WMR and apparently the .17 HMR uses the same mags. So why not.

Funny how one thing leads to another. But it doesn't violate my rule that you can't have too much ammo or too many guns.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:29 PM   #4
srfisher3

I would be most concerned (or perhaps the correct word is careful) about how tightly you torgue the rings to the scope if you're moving them. The tension you apply with the wrench will definitely apply more pressure on the tube than the recoil of the .22W. Its a quality scope for sure and totally made for the recoil of a .22. Be cautious when tightening the screws and you'll be just fine.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:17 AM   #5
MikeSD

I used a torque driver to tighten the screws. I set the driver at a little under 20 in-lbs of torque, on the ring halves. I think I'm ok there. But good to know I'm worrying about nothing on the ring spacing.

When I get the new base, I'll move the scope back about 1". I'll just have enough room to avoid the ejection port.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:24 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
You need an extension ring for the front , they're in the Brownells catalog .