The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 26, 2011, 03:21 PM   #1
turbodog77

hello have shotgun questions

Hello I found your site online. I have a question about a shotgun. I don't have the shotgun yet. Long story short it is a family piece. I had to buy it from my mom's estate, longer story.
It is a model 12, 16 gauge. It has been sitting in the sunlight looks like it from the pics. Long story there too.
Soon I am getting it and can post some pics.
It has fading in the stock and pump handle on barrel. I have already asked our local gunsmith about reblueing (hot vat) and he said it will decrease the value considerably.
But, what can I do about the wear of blueing over the years?. I think she had it cold blued every 10 yrs or so.
I have no knowledge of guns. I shot her 20 gauge and handgun 2 x in my life.
I just had to have this gun so I can have something to remember her by and she was a very active hunter, this gun was her sweetheart. It is very old and I believe was a gift from her father so it is at least post 1968 as an educated guess. It is a great gun just want to be able to take care of it or make sure no rusting occurs.
I think the fading on the stock is from the gun leaning and sitting in a gun case in the sunlight bc the case had a glass front located near a front door .
any info on where to start would be great. It doesn't have to be reblued sounds expensive for $200 and if it hurts the value I would rather buy some oil and keep her safe.
thank you Linda
Old September 26, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2
turbodog77

p.s I will hunt with it

I am going to take it out hunting. In memory of her
Old September 26, 2011, 04:01 PM   #3
oneounceload

Guns are one of those odd-ball items that seem to go down in value unless restored by someone well-known - leave it as is in that regard. As for redoing the stock to make it look even all over, that shouldn't be hard or expensive

Great having something like that for memories
Old September 26, 2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, condolences on your loss.....

Model 12 16 gauges are very good shotguns for hunting, and the memories with this one make it quite special.

I'd just conserve rather than restore and use it as your mom would want you to.

If it needs work, Nu Line Guns or Simmons Guns are the go to people for Model 12s.

HTH....
Old September 26, 2011, 09:13 PM   #5
turbodog77

hi

thank you. My mom passed away in Nov.2010. It was a sad ending. I will miss her deeply. She loved hunting so much. I now wish I had went out with her more. It was kind of painful to see the remainder of her guns be sold the other day. I just had to have her 16 gauge. I was so happy to buy it and can't wait to actually have it in my arms soon.
She hunted and killed her last deer in her 70's. She loved duck hunting and took the gun to shoot ducks as well. I don't know if her aim was such beauty or the gun that held her heart. The only thing she asked about after her stroke was that gun. I felt so bad that I couldn't hand it to her or assure her. long long story.
My mom was a very special mom who loved the outdoors and was alive when she was out there in her world.
I don't know even though I haven't used a gun in over 23 yrs when I do pick up my bb gun LOL here to ward off squirrels, I never miss.
I am thinking of just hunting with her gun to celebrate her beauty and the beauty that she spoke of when she went hunting.
I am sure that even though this gun is not real, it will teach me alot
Thank you for the references, I will check them out.
I hope that other members can share some valueable info on how to help me. thank you Linda
Old September 26, 2011, 09:16 PM   #6
turbodog77

p.s

I'll probably buy a new case for it. any suggestions on that would be nice to. like name brands that have soft inside linings
Old September 26, 2011, 09:33 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

PLEASE REMEMBER!!!! A case is for the safe and sound transport of a firearm...
Storing in ANY case that has "CONTACT" with surfaces of the firearm could, at one time or other, cause adverse affects to finish... One episode of a subslab plumbing leak under the closet the cased gun is stored in could leave you with a rusted steel, corroded alloy and otherwise ruined heirloom piece of family history!

A gun safely stored alone in a closet corner is far better off than a cased gun... even the finest case could cause grief! You may never notice you had a moisture intrusion issue until a long time later down the road...

A display cabinet or gunsafe (with moisture mitigation steps) would be far better security than nothing at all but at least protects the firearm (or at least you see it in a display cabinet) from the moisture issue.

Brent
Old September 27, 2011, 12:13 AM   #8
lamarw

It is a tought job restoring any and and all old items.

I am currently working on a very rare clock from 1865. I have almost all of it restored. I am now attempting to get the clock to it's original state. There is a lot of attention to detail.

What are your specific chalenges. They must be tremendous. Do you need some help?
Old September 27, 2011, 07:57 AM   #9
bitttorrrent

Not much help with the restoration but your Mom sounds like she was a great person - sorry to hear she is gone.

My Dad recently moved closer to me and is fighting off Lukemia type disorder so I go out with him shooting as much as I can and have a renewed interest in guns. I bought my first one a while back with his help and couldn't wait to show him.

It would break my heart to sell off his collection some day and I will not do it. It is now our collection as he has a whole gun room so I keep adding my guns to his - I don't really have a dedicated place and have a toddler so is not practical. I may thin it a bit, but I will preserve as much as I can which from your "long story" notes sounds like an internal family battle. My siblings are good, but in recent dealings with my wife's family, you don't really know someone until financial and medical issues crop up. My "so called" brother in law is still not speaking to his sister (my wife) over retirement home placement decisions etc. Some people cannot handle these things and also are inately greedy.

Anyway, best of luck. Take the gun to a "trusted" gunsmith. Talk to people in your area. As with me, I am new to this, and by talking, going to the ranges, reading reviews online, you get a feel for who is honest and true and who is not.

Go out and shoot that gun and your Mom will smile down from above because it sounds like that is one thing she really liked!
Old September 27, 2011, 09:27 AM   #10
meatgrinder42

So what?

I'm sorry to hear about your ma, very sad. I was just wondering why it matters so much if the value is hurt? If it was my ma's firearm I would pay to have it reblued and the wood reworked because I'd want it to stay looking nice so I could pass it down. I guess the question is, if you don't want to sell it why would you care about it's value?

For the wood, try linseed oil on a soft rag. It might bring some of the color back, Did wonders on my Mausers.

As for a case, if you just want to put it in something get a sip up nylon gun case and put it in a closet. If you have kids, obviously trigger locks and I'd find a plastic case that you could put a small lock on.
Old September 27, 2011, 10:03 AM   #11
bitttorrrent

i agree with meatgrinder.

If you have an old car, they get repainted and restored all the time. I would do as he says and have it fixed up to how you like it. You said your Mom had it blued now and then, so it is not like an original 1700's finish that should never be restored.

Have fun with it just as she did.
Old September 28, 2011, 01:10 PM   #12
turbodog77

Storing in ANY case that has "CONTACT

ooh, thanks I want a case for transport. but I most likely would of kept : it in it. so thanks for the info. I might then put it in a dry closet upstairs for now. I have no gun cabinet. thanks
Old September 28, 2011, 01:12 PM   #13
turbodog77

What are your specific chalenges. They must be tremendous. Do you need some help?

well, I don't know exactly yet. I have to pick up shotgun tomorrow evening. It looks like the shiny varnish as been worn off on most of the stock wood. Is there specific varnish for this? I am sure there is thanks
Old September 28, 2011, 01:18 PM   #14
turbodog77

Go out and shoot that gun and your Mom will smile down from above because it sounds l

thank you so much.
yes, greed can fit this story.
most of it is stolen, let me say that. I was lucky to get this gun not trying to jinx it but I should have it in my hands by tomorrow night.
My mom was sort of made fun of at her funeral. I didn't like most of what was said. I guess that part of the crap in the battle so far. But, not only was she a deer, duck, squirrel, mushroom hunting momma she was a good mom.
All she asked about while in her last day here was that 16 gauge. So you better bet I am going to take it out and bag a deer. It's been about 23 years since I shot a gun. But, I'm gonna make her proud.
And you know it is a family heirloom. I have been trying to get it for 6 months total. And it's going to be a joyful moment!!!!
I'm also thankful I just found this site. It feels great to talk with ppl who understand where I am coming from
I have talked to the local gunsmith already.
I'm so proud to get it.
Old September 28, 2011, 01:25 PM   #15
turbodog77

For the wood, try linseed oil on a soft rag

I will buy that tomorrow then. It always had a varnish shiny look>?
and you know that's what I wanted to do protect it with hot blueing , but then it makes me feel bad that she never had it done, most likely do to the value thing. I would like to have it done bc I thought it would protect it better. not sure what to think about it now.
But, yes, I will never never sell it. It meant too much to her. Heck maybe I will be too nervous of damaging it. not sure yet.
She never let anyone use it or even touch it. She would offer to let us use the 20 gauge but not hers. LOL. guess I don't blame her LOL

I was very sad to see her 20 gauge go. Someone sure got a deal. It made me sick to my stomach. I didn't have enough cash. Squirrely story about how they were sold.
I am trying to only think about the positives which are very little right now.
The biggest plus is when I get to hold her gun and know it comes home with me YEAH!
P>S
Will I get in TROUBLE WITHOUT A CASE FOR PICKUP? OR CAN I WRAP IT IN A BLANKET? THANKS
Old September 28, 2011, 01:28 PM   #16
turbodog77

My Dad recently moved closer to me and is fighting off Lukemia

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My mom died of cancer as well.
There is no easy way to prepare yourself. Just be with them as much as you can it will help. Take photo albums and take tons of pictures it makes them feel important and safe.
I did all that I could to comfort her. I know it helped. It was painful for me.
Stay strong.