The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 5, 2011, 06:07 AM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

Which bolt action milsurp rifle should I buy?

Hey firing line. Im looking to pick up a nice bolt action milsurp rifle. I am biting the bullet pun intended and getting into reloading as i know most older milsurp is pretty dry up here in Canada especially. keeping that in mind, and that I dont really like mosins, these are my options

Schmidt-Rubin/ k31- There are 2 rubins in a local store here and they look great. Hear amazing things but from what i hear reloading components might be hard to find/expensive?

Lee Enfield- Gorgeous IMO but have heard mixed reviews on quality, plenty available in canada. might have an easier time finding components?

mauser- available. reloading components hard to find?

ability to find reloading components is a big factor here so if anyone has experience trying to find components for these? am i missing your favorite?
Old June 5, 2011, 07:07 AM   #2
ohen cepel

I would go with a Yugo M48 Mauser. Reloading components should be a problem, can usually find ammo at Walmart here since it's such a common round.
Many of the 48's are pretty much new, never issued so not a lot of history there, but also no abuse/use. Should serve you very well with no issues. Plus, it's a Mauser at a great price.

The k31 is a great rifle as is the Enfield, so I wouldn't rule them out if you like them better.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old June 5, 2011, 07:12 AM   #3
customaquatics

umm the mighty mosin?
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:14 AM   #4
RaySendero

The K31 will most likely have a good barrel and a good trigger.

Graf's has the Redding dies but is temporaily out of cases:
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/15609

Huntington's should have cases:
http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_graf.html

The 7.5 uses 0.308" (standard 30 caliber) bullets.

Last edited by RaySendero; June 5, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old June 5, 2011, 09:25 AM   #5
wolfrage

K31's are sweet. Still want to pick one up myself.
Old June 5, 2011, 09:38 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

The K31 well be the most accurate by far. Reloading dies cost no more than any other caliber. There is plenty of surplus GP11 ammo on the market and you would be hard pressed to load better ammo, it's match grade.

With the Lee Enfield you have a large selection of styles of rifle, No1, No4, No5. You can find good shooters, ammo is spendy and good surplus is all but gone. You really need to reload for this rifle.

The Yugo Mausers have a large selection of models, lot of 8mm surplus around and many of these have accurate barrels. Lot of history with the Yugo's if you take the time to research them.

Reloading cost well be about the same for all three of these rifles.
Old June 5, 2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Volucris

I suggest the K-31. I have both a K-31 and a No4Mk1 Enfield (in near excellent condition) and the K-31 is so much easier to load for. Since the 303 British is a rimmed cartridge and the Enfields have larger military chambers, you have a pretty dismal case life which limits you to neck sizing only pretty much. Expect 5-6 firings at best. Others may be doing it better than me so look around. 7.5x55 Swiss is as easy to load as .308 Winchester. It's pretty similar in fact.

K-31s just have a better barrel and a way better trigger. In addition, use of .308" projectiles makes it easy to load for.
Old June 5, 2011, 05:13 PM   #8
alan

Re the availability of SM 7.5MM brass, if I remember correctly 284 Win, will serve. I would verify this BEFORE buying.
Old June 5, 2011, 05:16 PM   #9
apr1775

If you're Canadian, the Lee Enfield is part of your herritage....and they are neat rifles. I'd suggest you get one first and then work on the others.
Old June 5, 2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Rustle in the Bushes

Yeah, enfields do have an attractive historical quality. The action of an enfield seems like a bit more fun as well, straight pull seems cool but i dont need to squeeze off 30 rounds in 60 seconds.

This is almost made up for by the fact that I love shooting things that are far away, the k31 sounds like a ?much? more accurate gun.

These also sound easier to reload for than the .303 and for a guy who will be new to the reloading game this is quite appealing.

yall have given me some things to ponder
Old June 5, 2011, 06:23 PM   #11
SIGSHR

I would opt for the Lee Enfield No. 4 Mark I-made at Long Branch, of course.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:23 PM   #12
alan

Rustle in the Bushes

Posts: 6 Yeah, enfields do have an attractive historical quality. The action of an enfield seems like a bit more fun as well, straight pull seems cool but i dont need to squeeze off 30 rounds in 60 seconds.

This is almost made up for by the fact that I love shooting things that are far away, the k31 sounds like a ?much? more accurate gun.

These also sound easier to reload for than the .303 and for a guy who will be new to the reloading game this is quite appealing.

yall have given me some things to ponder

Re loading the .303 Lee-Enfield round, back your redsizing die out a bit, trial and error, so as NOT to move the case shoulder.

By the way, re avoiding setting the shoulder back more than necessary, this applies to the .308 or the 7.5mm Swiss too. Actually it applies to just about any bottle neck round.
Old June 7, 2011, 02:31 AM   #13
Rustle in the Bushes

i think ill go for the k31, well see if I can rustle up some brass for it up here in Canada. Enfield- One day! though they are actually more expensive than the damn k31s right now. scary thought!
Old June 7, 2011, 03:14 PM   #14
wwd88888

K31 unless Canada has good access to .303

Enfield seems like a Canadian gun that would still be used as a low cost hunter. Maybe your access to ammo is better than what I have in the states. I rarely shoot my No4mk1* Longbranch any more due to cost.

The K31 is a really cool rifle. If I were buying today I'd get a K31 or 6.5x55 Mauser. 7.5x55 is still available in very good GP11. Reloading uses standard .308 bullets and resized .284 ( I think). The K31 is very ammo sensitive, dimensions have to be spot on, and you cannot load hot.

Still, it is supposed to be a wickedly accurate rifle. I think they look amazing, better than most modern rifles, but I love real wood. They just don't do wood furniture like they used to.
Old June 10, 2011, 08:24 PM   #15
cracked butt

Quote:
If I were buying today I'd get a K31 or 6.5x55 Mauser.
Yes. That.

Compare the quality of a swedish mauser or K-31 side by side with an enfield or Yugo M48. The decision is pretty easy.
Old June 10, 2011, 08:58 PM   #16
zfk55

The K31 is a really cool rifle. If I were buying today I'd get a K31 or 6.5x55 Mauser. 7.5x55 is still available in very good GP11. Reloading uses standard .308 bullets and resized .284 ( I think). The K31 is very ammo sensitive, dimensions have to be spot on, and "you cannot load hot".

Not quite correct. The 175gr VLD type projectile in the GP11 or a Berger 175gr VLD itself can be pushed right out to 2,700 fps and is a true 1,000 yard rile. Both the SMK 175's and the VLD 175's are commonly shot long range in the k31, as many Camp Perry shooters will attest.

This is our 1,000 yard Diopter made specifically for the k31 long range shooting.

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 11, 2011, 02:33 AM   #17
Ignition Override

For others hunting for later model Enfields, if you can find lots of ".303" bullets that are Not boat tail, a #4/Mk. 1 which has a 2-groove bore might do pretty well.

One of my 2-groove #4 rifles makes nasty, wide key-holes from 100 yards, and the bore is very shiny with good rifling.

Most #4s built in England do not have 2-groove rifling, and you might want to find out whether some of these are easily found (or somehow discovered at a gun show).

Most boxes of Prvi .303 ammo at US distributors have BT bullets.
Old June 12, 2011, 04:19 PM   #18
alan

Seems curious, the absence of any mention of the following, though unfortunately the prices thereof have gone way up:

1. The U.S. Springfield Rifle
2. The U.S. 1917 Enfield

Both are chambered for the 30-06 cartridgwe, there being no "shortages" thereof, either factory ammunition or reloading components.
Old June 24, 2011, 01:52 AM   #19
Rustle in the Bushes

heheheh @ latigo. Just thought he would drop in from the swiss rifles forum to drop some knowledge. Its reading the talk over there that makes me all the more excited to learn how to shoot this thing. bloody canadian postal strike is keeping my brass from me
Old June 24, 2011, 07:31 AM   #20
zfk55

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 24, 2011, 11:24 PM   #21
alan

zfk55:

When I was shooting rifle in competition, National Match Course and 1000 yards, bolt action rifles in caliber 30-06, I mostly used 180 grain Sierra Match Kings at an estimated muzzle velocity of 2500-2600 ft/sec, never chronographed, but these were NOT hot loads. On the old, no longer used 5V target, I consistently shot mid 90's out of a possible 100 point score, with Redfield Receiver Sights, prone with sling only.

With the .308 Winchester, I could not shoot effectively past 600 yards, many people could, but not me. I could hold 10 ring elevation with a 308, same Redfield sights, prone at 600 yards. I never found "hot loads" necessary, but that's just me.

BTW, I came upon the Swiss Products web site, which showed the sight pictured, German made from the name Ulm. No price was listed. Could you provide information including front and rear sight, including mounting base for the rear.

Thanks.
Old June 26, 2011, 07:40 PM   #22
tobnpr

The mention of the .303, and not FL sizing due to headspace issues got me wondering...
I reload for a couple of 91/30's, which also use a rimmed cartridge- and, are obviously, military and might expect a generous chamber size. Since I don't have a bushing in my headspace gauge kit to fit, I have no way to check the fire-formed cases against what comes out of the full-length resizing die.

I've not read anything about full-length re-sizing issues with the 7.62 x 54R, is this anything of concern with the Mosin-Nagant?
Old June 26, 2011, 09:37 PM   #23
JiminTexas

If you want a good gun in the best condition, go to Samco, http://www.samcoglobal.com/
and look up their Yugo Mausers. The 8x57 cartridge is available in quantity at reasonable prices. If you reload Graf and Sons have Berdan primers to reload the European brass. There are several Berdan depriming tools on the market, but they are a little pricy. There are plans on the internet, sorry I don't have the URL for that one, to make a deprimer out of a stick and an old rat tailed file. Putting them in is easy. The Berdans will work right through any of the standard American primer tools.
If you have your heart set on a Lee Enfield, try to find an Ishapore Enfield (Indian). GunBroker usually has several at less than $350. Almost all of them were converted to 7.62 Nato which is cheap and plentiful and an easy reload.
Old June 27, 2011, 12:22 AM   #24
obxned

Mosin-Nagant 91/30 - accurate, indestructable, and selling for around $100 for a really nice one. The 7.62x54R cartridge is about as powerful .308, and surplus ammo is dirt cheap.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old June 27, 2011, 11:21 PM   #25
alan

JiminTexas:

Re the 8 x 57 Mauser, wht mess about with Berdan Primed cases and Berdan Primers, if you can find them, when Boxer(U.S. type) primed cases are readily available.

tobnpr:

With rimmed cases, you might try the following, up to you though. Use a neck sizing die or if you have a F.L. sizing die already, back it out about one turn, size a case, try it in your rifle. If there is to much caming, bolt hard to close, turn the die in 1/4 turn or less and try it again. This way, you will size the casse minimally, getting longer case life too, via not setting the shoulder back excessively.