The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 9, 2012, 10:25 PM   #1
rcase1234

WASR 10

Hello everybody. I have been recently just browsing around looking at assault rifles (don't plan on buying one at the moment but maybe in the future) and noticed the WASR 10. Looked like a solid AK variant for the price. Romanian I believe. Anyways, I guess most AK's and its variants are built like a brick (you know what) house. But for those who have experience with this weapon, how is it? Is it reliable? Mag wobble? Basically, is it a quality firearm and worth buying just to be a mess around kind of gun?
Old December 9, 2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

The WASR is an excellent rifle if properly assembled. The good news nowadays is that CAI has a 1 year warranty that they honor (I used it on a Tantal....). Just check for sight alignment, gas tube alignment, and receiver straightness and you'll be good to go. I have several and all are great reliable rifles.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:55 PM   #3
jackpine

That is one year from date of manufacture so buyer beware. Jim Fuller has an exelent vid on youtube about how to pick an AK. Check the sights and make sure the feed ramp is cut properly and that the action works without hanging up on the hammer.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:40 AM   #4
tahunua001

I had a wasr and after 3 years of trying to warm up to it I finally gave up and sold it. just never liked it. I ended up with one that had canted sights and loose magwell so it wouldn't take steel magazines.

also, despite what the media may list them as, AK47 clones and AR15s are not assault rifles, they are semi automatic rifles that are not select fire and therefore can not be labeled as such. it's just a label that makes every person that owns one look like a hillbilly or extremist and many shooters here despise the terminology so please, just call them black rifles.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
it's just a label that makes every person that owns one look like a hillbilly or extremist and many shooters here despise the terminology so please, just call them black rifles.
Or you can use Wal-Mart's term for them: "Modern Sport Rifles."

I actually kind of like that one.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:18 PM   #6
RedBowTies88

Or the correct terminology...

"battle rifle"
Old December 10, 2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
Or the correct terminology...

"battle rifle"
Not really.

The term "battle rifle" is more often used to denote service rifles firing a "full-sized" rifle cartridge (think M14, FAL, or G3 firing 7.62x51mm NATO, or the M1 Garand firing 30-06), not the "intermediate" cartridges (such as 7.62x39mm, 5.45x39mm, or 5.56x45mm) fired by the AK and AR variants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_rifle
Old December 10, 2012, 02:06 PM   #8
evilleprichaun

or just call it a rifle,.,. why is there such a need to have a describing term infront of the word. theres no need for black, battle, or assult to be in front of it. just call it a rifle and let that be it. you cant argue with that but once you put in ur two cent describtion uve become the unknowledgeable media to someone.
but as for the question. yes for the price they are reliable and if your just wanting to plink around and have fun then yes theyre good for that.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9
rcase1234

Sorry everybody for my incorrect use of terminology. So anyways, is this a good RIFLE?
Old December 10, 2012, 04:21 PM   #10
halfcocked

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were able to look it over first to check out the items others mentioned. That said, even most of those problems are cosmetic - unless REALLY bad. I have AKs with canted front sites, but as long as you don't run out of adjustment to get it on target, it really isn't a problem. I have a number of AKs and mostly the only difference between them is fit and finish. The Romanians I have are just as accurate and reliable as the upper end Arsenals and such. If you want a pretty AK, you may want to look elsewhere (or spend a little time to refinish the wood and spray the metal with some Alumahyde II or gunkote), but it should be a good work horse non-the-less. If you get one that is way out of spec and doesn't function properly, Century usually has a decent reputation of making it right.

A side note on mag wobble - under most circumstances (as in that function isn't affected) that is just a pet peeve of owners. The ak I had with the most mag wobble was a Valmet M76 (and all aks seem to vary). I actually prefer a little looser mag well since it seems to make mag changes a bit smoother for me. To each his own though.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:42 PM   #11
flgunguy

Wasr's are a good value at $500, out the door, or even better... less. There are some outrageous prices going around these days. I've seen some pawn shops here in FL asking $650 for them. They were an absolute steal a few years ago @ $400 NIB.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:25 PM   #12
Mrgunsngear

True but a few years ago guys were posting, "WASRs were a great deal at $250-300; $400 is outrageous...."

Unfortunately I think that trend will continue...
Old December 10, 2012, 10:43 PM   #13
rcase1234

I can get one at Dunhams right now for $500 I believe and yes it is the double stack mag version (I've done a little homework)
Old December 10, 2012, 10:58 PM   #14
flgunguy

Not too shabby @ $500. Wasr's feed anything and everything. Grab some tapco 30 rd mags (u don't need more $$$ ones) again, wasr's feed anything. Tula is probably the best value in 7.62. Even if u don't go bulk, Wally World has 20 rd boxes for $3.

At the end of the day u have $500 in the rifle. I've seen guys drop $1200 or more on AR's and be like, "I like blah blah's so-n-so better." Case in point a friend of mine who dropped $1300 on a pistol grip 5.56 and never shoots the thing. If u decide u want to upgrade later u always can.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:07 PM   #15
barnbwt

Quote:
No kidding, have you seen what Mosins go for these days? Although, if they get much higher than they are now, there is little incentive to take a chance on a parts-kit gun of disputable orgin/construction instead of a factory new "civilian" repeater (like how SKSs aren't nearly the sweet deal they used to be relative to AKs). "Nicer" AKs are going for north of 800$ now, right? (sorry to be that guy who suggests a totally different rifle than the OP is asking about but; VZ58 --just puttin' that out there...)

Quote:
My only concern about the VZ is mag shortage if restrictions come down.
Not if I can convince enough folks to buy VZs

TCB

Last edited by barnbwt; December 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:13 PM   #16
flgunguy

I paid $1k for my arsenal, tho it is milled. IMO that was a bargian compared to what the milled norinco's and poly's are going for on gunbroker... if u can even find one, mostly I see mak's with the wooden thumbhole stuck going $800 or better.

I def don't think your "that guy" for throwing the VZ out there. I'm very partial to CZ. I have a Rami in 9mm as a backup c/c, and I've wanted a Dan Wesson cco for a while now. My only concern about the VZ is mag shortage if restrictions come down. A romAK can take any AK mag ever built, even the cheap tapco stuff.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:11 AM   #17
Quentin2

Another happy WASR10 owner here. I've had mine over five years with no real problems. As mentioned before they were a lot cheaper back then! But still a good deal at $500.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:19 PM   #18
rcase1234

I may just buy one of these work horses. Might as well if I can find the other deal. Thanks everybody
Old December 12, 2012, 11:16 AM   #19
Eghad

canted sights on a AK-47..break out the deadfall hammer.

NRA Life Member
Old December 12, 2012, 11:25 AM   #20
jimbob86

Quote:
True but a few years ago guys were posting, "WASRs were a great deal at $250-300; $400 is outrageous...."

I was looking on Gunbroker and Bud's the other day ....they are running $600+ now ..... you can get an AR for that, if you look hard. I built my PSA for just over $700 ......
Old December 12, 2012, 06:31 PM   #21
Wyoredman

Look around for a WASR-10 single stack variant. They can still be had for around $300 or so.

I bought one for $275 and used a dremmel on the mag well so it will accept the double stack mags. It is a bit sloppy (I am no gun smith) but seems to work fine with all but the cheapest, thinest surplus mags.

I cut the barrel nut weld and added a slant break and cheap TAPCO stock, grip and fore arm for another $100.

Total into the gun is $375 and some time.

I wouldn't use it for my only SD weapon, but it is fun to shoot and works all the time. Ammo is cheap, too!
Old December 14, 2012, 12:44 AM   #22
StukaJU87

There's nothing wrong with a WASR 10, they're great reliable rifles. You just need to do your homework and know what to look for but then again, that's true with just about anything these days.

As far as price and public opinion goes, I've noticed that as the price goes up, so does people's opinions of WASR 10's. I remember reading people's comments and reviews when I was thinking about getting one, back when $300-$350 was the going price. It seemed everybody hated them and called them junk. I tried to find one locally so I could check it out to see what the big deal was but the local shops were always sold out by the time I got there. So I waited till they hit $400. The reviews started getting better. they were still considered junk but I still couldn't find one. By the time I finally tracked one down at a LGS , they were $450. I got to hand pick the one I wanted and have no regrets, other than price. It stamped with the same year I was born. Don't know if that really makes it worth the extra $ though. Lol

I just think its funny how public opinion of the WASR 10 became friendly right around the $400 mark.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:53 AM   #23
EdInk

I would look for a TGI built AMD-65 instead.