The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 25, 2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Turkeyslam

870 English style stock

I was wondering if anyone knew of a company that makes straight or "English" style after market stocks. I did a little researching but I couldn't find anything. I own a 20ga wingmaster that I would like to fix up.
Old September 25, 2011, 07:10 PM   #2
jmr40

Remington used to offer them. Might be easier to just buy one. 870 special field

http://www.gunsinternational.com/REM...n_id=100200105
Old September 25, 2011, 07:32 PM   #3
zippy13

If you haven't used a straight-stocked pump-gun, you might want to give one a try before buying one. I suspect a straight-stock will adversely alter the shooter's cycling dynamics.
Old September 25, 2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Turkeyslam

Well zappy13 I have a pump action .22 lr with a straight stock and I find it to be a very natural combo. I can't say how that would translate to a shotgun which weighs about more. And jmr i am willing not to buy a gun. But I am trying to find a source for just the stocks.
Old September 25, 2011, 11:45 PM   #5
.45 COLT

Years ago I put straight stocks on the two Wingmasters that I used for Trap. I liked them so well that I put one on another Wingmaster field gun. Zippy's suspicion ("I suspect a straight-stock will adversely alter the shooter's cycling dynamics.") is right, for me anyway. A friend suggested that I try a slimmer foreend, but that didn't do much for me. I went back a stock of the original configuration/dimensions.

DC
Old September 26, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
rbursek

I have 1 870 20ga Special Field and a 20ga 1100 in the same, with a straight stock you point the gun more naturally then with a pistol grip. I love them and have shot many 24's at trap with them with a 1oz load, I like the 1100 abit more because it wieghs a 1/4lb more and that is in the front end so the swing is smoother, with those 21" barrels.
Bob
Old September 26, 2011, 12:57 AM   #7
oneounceload

If Remington doesn't have one, try Boyd's or Wenig's
Old September 26, 2011, 01:31 AM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
If you haven't used a straight-stocked pump-gun, you might want to give one a try before buying one. I suspect a straight-stock will adversely alter the shooter's cycling dynamics.
Zippy,

I don't know about you, but I cannot cope with an English stock on a type of shotgun.. I've tried different guns, it just doesn't work...
Old September 26, 2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Pahoo

Quote:
If you haven't used a straight-stocked pump-gun, you might want to give one a try before buying one.
Good advice as I have both and they do handle differently, possibly with some disadvantages.
Quote:
. I suspect a straight-stock will adversely alter the shooter's cycling dynamics.
I mostly hunt, don't shoot skeet or trap will not say that I seen any adverse effects. Again, there is a difference when I switch between the two styles.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 26, 2011, 12:23 PM   #10
BigJimP

Jack West's gunstock company makes - (adjustable stocks for the 870's / with a parallel comb ) ....so its a "straight stock" ....but not the older and shorter english style...but I'm wondering if you're looking for an english style or a parallel comb...???

http://www.jackweststocks.com/index_files/About_Us.htm
Old September 26, 2011, 01:36 PM   #11
oneounceload

For me, an English stock is an absolute must on guns with two triggers, as you need to be able to ever so slightly slide your trigger hand back and forth between the triggers while still maintaining a good grip at the wrist. English stocks also tend to force you to shoot "elbows out", which in the opinion of many an old-time English shooter allowed you better swing with the birds
Old September 26, 2011, 02:11 PM   #12
BigJimP

I don't think of English stocks as being "straight" either .../ to me they're short and have a lot of drop at the comb and heel .../ but maybe that's too general ...
----------------
It just donned on me - the OP must be talking about straight grip shotgun stocks ...??

like this model of the Browning Citori ??

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...ather-firearms

Last edited by BigJimP; September 26, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old September 26, 2011, 03:43 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

Per the Oswald book, "Stock Fitter's Bible", straight grips are often referred to as English grips, BigJim. The OP may wish to consider that it may be more difficult to maintain the same hold on a straight gripped 20 gauge than a .22 lr due to the difference in felt recoil. My guess. Zippy may be thinking of other dynamics. I know that I still get an occasional shell stuck in the chamber of my 870 that requires a hard rack to eject.
Old September 26, 2011, 04:55 PM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Looking back, I've had at least three shotguns with English grips. All shot well, but not much differently from the more conventional ones. All three were on hunting guns.

IMO, straight grips work for hunting, but for clays I want a more repeatable, consistent grip.
Old September 26, 2011, 06:04 PM   #15
Lee Lapin

As was said above, see if you can find a stock for an 870 Special Field. Those were made back in the early 1980s and featured straight grip or English style stocks. Look at Gunbroker, eBay etc.

Don't know of anyone making them currently for the 870 - Browning makes their BPS Upland model with a straight stock...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...12&type_id=216

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 27, 2011, 12:43 PM   #16
Turkeyslam

When I said I wanted a straight stock I was referring to the type of stock that was used on the Special Field. I certainly don't want to spend $800 on another 870 thhough. For not much more I could get a pretty nice double/over under. I was hoping to find a stock for under $400 bucks. but if nothing is currently being manufactured then my odds are pretty slim. I contacted Wenig's and was quoted about $1k.

Last edited by Turkeyslam; September 27, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old September 27, 2011, 04:09 PM   #17
BigJimP

Replacement stocks are expensive ....so its often better to leave the gun as is .../ especially if its a basic 870 ....
Old September 27, 2011, 10:46 PM   #18
oneounceload

You might be able to find a stocker who can alter your current wood stock from a pistol or POW style to English - that mostly involves a little saw and sanding then recheckering/finishing
Old September 28, 2011, 07:20 AM   #19
oregunner

If you could find a cheap rear stock and are handy with woodworking, you can make your own. See this video from Midway http://www.youtube.com/user/MidwayUS...16/hyfjGE-M7mc