The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 22, 2011, 06:47 AM   #1
lasvegastransplant

A little help please

I am having an issue with this piece and it will not return to lock the ring in place. You ever had this issue? I have tried to tap on it and pry it up also. I am trying to avoid damaging the wood. Any suggestions? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2100.jpg (59.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2102.jpg (68.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2101.jpg (65.7 KB, 92 views)
Thinking 4:24/7 is a way of life.
Old August 22, 2011, 07:41 AM   #2
zfk55

What rifle is it?

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old August 22, 2011, 07:56 AM   #3
lasvegastransplant

It is a Carcano Type I

Nice looking rifle. I doubt I would ever shoot it though. I heard ammo is hard to come by..
Old August 22, 2011, 08:21 AM   #4
zfk55

With the foregrip off, does there happen to be a stud through from the back of the retainer that has a small slotted nut on it?

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old August 22, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
JimPage

My guess is that the wood is little swollen from either oil or high humidity or both. Take it to Arizona for a couple of days to let it dry out. Tap the ring down with a light hammer on a wooden dowel. You might try tapping the dowel on the end of the retaining metal piece in case it has slipped back a little, the socket my be a little off where it hinges. I'd also try some graphite on the wood.
Old August 22, 2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Frontier Soldier

Is that an '03 Springfield? I have a M-1884 with similar barrel bands and springs. If the spring is not returning to lock the band in place, then you may need to remove the spring and gently clean the slot in the stock. Dirt and other crap can get down in there through the years and bind things up. Look for a tiny hole on the opposite side of the stock across from the spring. You will need a small brass drift, smaller than the hole, to tap the spring out of the stock. You could probably get by with just tapping it out just past the stock enough to swivel the spring clear of the slot to use a dental pick or other instrument to clean with. Clean the bottom and sides of the slot, and inspect the spring for caked up dirt and grease. When complete, re-align the spring to the slot in the stock and tap back into place with a wooden dowel and tack hammer. You may want to check the face of the stock where the barrel band rests and clean there if needed. Hope all this helps you out.
Old August 22, 2011, 09:22 AM   #7
lasvegastransplant

Finally got it

It is a Carcano "Type I" that I acquired in a trade recently.

I ended up using a wooden dowel and a small flat head to pry it up. I did the exact same thing many times prior to my post and had no luck. I gave it a rest for a while. I tried only one time after reading all the replies and it decided to work.

After a lot of reading I would like to shoot it some time. I suspect it has seen action because it has a notch taken from the stock. Maybe I will fire it one day but who knows... It is missing a few things I am looking for.
It NEEDS... A butt plate, bayonet, Clip/s and a cleaning rod. PM me

Thanks
Old August 22, 2011, 09:37 AM   #8
chack

the notch denotes how many times it was dropped while facing the enemy. With just one notch it didn't spend much time in the Italian army....
Old August 22, 2011, 11:21 AM   #9
lasvegastransplant

Ohhh...Is that right?

I thought this rifle was made by the Italians for the Japanese...

Last edited by lasvegastransplant; August 22, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old August 22, 2011, 02:22 PM   #10
tater134

Quote:
I thought this rifle was made by the Italians for the Japanese.
That is correct the Type I was produced for the Japanese Imperial Navy and was never used by the the Italian army.

Quote:
After a lot of reading I would like to shoot it some time. I suspect it has seen action because it has a notch taken from the stock. Maybe I will fire it one day but who knows... It is missing a few things I am looking for.
It NEEDS... A butt plate, bayonet, Clip/s and a cleaning rod. PM me
Most of these did not see action because they were issued to the Navy and that is why many Type I's are found in excellent condition. You really only need a buttplate and your rifle would be ready to go to the range and as I posted in your other thread it appears that a m1891 Carcano buttplate will fit.
Old August 22, 2011, 07:16 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

That band spring is either broken or is being held down by oil/crud or whatever. It should spring up more than it does without the band in place. I think your problem is not that the band is not going down far enough but that the spring is not popping up when it should. Also, try reversing the band; sometimes the band wears just enough on one side to let the band spring pop up.

To remove the band spring, don't pry it up. If you look on the left side of the stock, opposite the front of the band spring, you will see a little hole. To remove the band spring, insert a punch into that hole and tap GENTLY. The band spring will come out to the right. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU DON'T CHIP THE STOCK IF THE SPRING IS STUCK! Go carefully and slowly.

Jim
Old August 22, 2011, 10:02 PM   #12
RJay

They were made for the Japanese Navy but the Navy didn't want them because they were not Japanese made ( they were made by western barbarians ), so most of them were warehoused and never issued. However some of them may have been used by Naval shore infantry. I don't know if any one knows for sure if any of the Type Ones ever saw combat or not. Very interesting story behind those guns, involves, Germany, Italy. and Japan, but way too much information for my poor fingers to type.

Last edited by RJay; August 22, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old August 23, 2011, 01:59 PM   #13
TATER

The Tip is indeed broken off the spring, and the band is flipped. The rounded edge should be to the front.
HTH
Old August 23, 2011, 04:08 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ooops. Yep, I forgot to mention that the back end is broken also. If lasvegastransplant wants to replace it, one from a Type 38 will work fine.

Jim