The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 4, 2001, 06:17 PM   #1
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

"quick" fix for shotgun fit?

Took a 20 ga Rem Express Youth model dove hunting Saturday. Mounting the shotgun shows that I really (I mean really) had to concentrate getting my cheek pressed into the stock to properly sight down the rib. A natural mount sets the shotgun to shoot high = the rib appears about 1/8" thick (amount of visible top plane of the rib).

Any "quick" fixes to change the mounting position? Haven't taken too hard a look, but seems that a shim at the stock/receiver junction (top side) could have a positive effect by essentially making the barrel point lower.

Don't want to stick much of anything far as dollars go into this & was just wonderin' ....

Appreciate any input.

BTW, usually 'bout 70%+ on doves with my 12 - suffice it to say that when the doves are flyin', concentrating on stuffing my cheek deeper into the stock was not on my mind = I did truly suck.
Old September 5, 2001, 04:50 AM   #2
K80Geoff

Shims

Beretta includes shims with their model 390/391 shotguns for just this reason.

If you go through the archives of www.shotgunreport.com you will find the Technoid recommends doing just what you described with Remington 1100's. (click on Technoid and scroll down to gunfitting) The trick is finding the right piece of plastic to do the job.

Geoff Ross
Old September 5, 2001, 05:44 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I shim with aluminum foil folded several times, others use toothpicks or pieces of plastic hulls.

However....

You mention it's a Youth Model. These have shorter stocks than standard ones. Shorter stocks have less drop, ergo, they shoot higher.

Try a slip on pad added to the end of what you have. You'll probably end up with a stock of near standard length. This may be a better fix for you than shims.
Old September 5, 2001, 08:59 AM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Well. how 'bout that!

Ended up with 5X pieces of .015" thick plastic shims (some hold-overs from my mech engingeer days) slapped under the existing metal spacer at the receiver's rear end. Probably dropped the rib pitch about 3-5 degrees. Got a bit of an unsightly gap at the top of the stock/receiver junction, but this li'l shooter wasn't ever much to look at anyway. Appears to point much more naturally now.

These fit The Wife, at 5', quite well, but me, 5' 17" take some getting used to - seems a bit tiny.

Sorta have this "extra" 20 (extra choke tubes, etc.) laying around & they're too light & handy not to play around with once in a while. Ought to be just the ticket for carrying around all day for quail & early pheasants. ... now about those doves ....

Thanks guys. I do appreciate the tips.