The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 6, 2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Dan The Sig Man

Holster & Mag Pouch for USPSA

I am sure this has been asked... But I cant seem to find anything specific to my Pistols. So here we go:

I have a Sig P229R I want to start shooting in local USPSA matches; I want a good but fast holster. I really like Kydex, so I am looking for something Kydex. (Edit: Is the Sooper Hooper from Kytac legal for USPSA?)

Mag Pouches: I have seen the Beltfeed Mag Pouch and really like it, but dont know if it is the best thing. I have 5 10 round mags for my P229R, so I will need something that will hold 4 at a time.

Thank you ahead of time for all your information, and I am looking to get started in USPSA as soon as I can meet with my local club and get the equipment I need to shoot in it.

Dan

Last edited by Dan The Sig Man; March 6, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old March 7, 2009, 01:17 AM   #2
autopilotmp

From what i recall of the rulebook is that the holster has to cover the trigger guard and keep the gun secure while running, walking, basic movements like that. And your mag pouches are required to secure your mags while walking and running. It's been a while since i've shot USPSA or read the rule book but just get what's comfortable for you and the RO will let you know when you go to get your certification (pretty sure all clubs require you to show proper equipment and ability to safely handle, shoot, reload, and move with your firearm prior to shooting your first match).

Good Luck and Have fun.

PS check out www.uspsa.com they have new shooter info on the site
Old March 7, 2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Dan The Sig Man

Yeah I have read the Rule book. It is very hard to understand and not exactly clear on what it allows, that is why I am asking. I am thinking about going up to my local range where they have the USPSA shots and talk to the Club leader before I buy anything, I just wanted to see what everyone here is using and what they are suggesting. Thank you very much.
Old March 7, 2009, 05:19 AM   #4
lmccrock

Do a search at Brian Enos USPSA rules sub-forum and if you do not get an answer, ask over there. Plenty of equipment rule questions.

Lee
Old March 7, 2009, 10:45 AM   #5
autopilotmp

Prior to shooting my first match that is exactly what i did. Went and watched a match..even helped paste and set plates and tear down. Learned a lot and didn't even take my gun with me. That's probably the best approach anyways that way you can learn all the safety aspects and get some valuable info without having to worry about how i'm going to negotiate this stage, where am i in the shooting order, etc... Make sure to find out if you have to have a saftey inspection and when you can get it done. My club won't do the inspection on match day.

Again good luck and have fun.

here is a pic of my setup for USPSA.
Glock 22 (1st gen)
6-10 Rnd glock factory mags (got a great deal after the hi-cap ban lifted $8 each)
2- Cheapo nylon dual mag holders (velcro straps removed)
Galco yaqui slide (originaly used a hard plastic holster wanted leather)

other things in my range bag
eyes, ears, cleaning kit, dowel rod for pushing out squib loads, pad paper, pen, ammo, more ammo, anything else I think i'll never need.

Old March 7, 2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Atticus Thraxx

Safariland has a guide to what products are acceptable for different USPSA divisions:http://www.safariland.com/competitio...ment_Guide.pdf

Also I just picked up a 012 rig from http://www.brianenos.com/store/safariland.html for $159.00. Not a bad deal. 773 pouches for $22 ea.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old March 7, 2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Dan The Sig Man

Which would you guys consider is better? Paddle or belt holsters? I am almost thinking that Belt would be better because of the loops, but I might be wrong. Let me know what you guys think. Can I even use a Paddle style with USPSA?

Atticus thank you very much for the links, they helped out a lot, I will be considering a couple of those items.

autopilotmp that is a very nice setup, so I dont have to have a Full holster, just as long as it covers the trigger and guard? What about the ejection port? Does it have to be within a 1/4" of the most forwad edge of that, or is that just an IDPA thing?

Thanks guys I am learning quite a bit before I go up the local match tomorrow for observation.
Old March 7, 2009, 10:39 PM   #8
autopilotmp

"•Suitable for everyday use. “Race gun” type
holster prohibited.
•May not be manufactured or cut lower than,
and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the
ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster
exempt)"

that is straight out of the USPSA handbook. But the main page also says that it must retain your weapon during normal movements and cover the trigger, must point to the ground, and carried at belt level. But the majority of your club level matches won't be extremely anal about this stuff as long as it isn't a blatant violation of these rules (i.e. trying to use a race holster.) Have fun tomorrow.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Dan The Sig Man

Well looks to me that I need to just go to my local matches and see what everyone is using and than decide which way I want to go. I have been doing a lot of looking and research, now I just need to see what is in action and how I think about it.
Old March 8, 2009, 01:21 AM   #10
autopilotmp

pretty much, don't be afraid to ask the shooters questions about there equipment, pro's con's...never get too much info.
Old March 8, 2009, 09:09 PM   #11
autopilotmp

SO!! How did it go? Figure out what you need for your first match? Or was it sensory overload and now more confused than when you started? Hope it went well...
Old March 8, 2009, 10:41 PM   #12
Dan The Sig Man

Well I actually did not get a chance to go, My wife is sick and I had to stay home and take care of her. Our local place has another match the 28th, and I made my wife promise that we go then. I want her to go, cause I want her to see what it is and maybe she will shot it too. She loves going to the Range, so I am hoping that she will take to the USPSA too. I know I was a little disappointed we couldnt go.
Old March 9, 2009, 07:21 AM   #13
autopilotmp

actually if i could get my wife into shooting a match it would be well worth the wait, but she just won't shoot a match. She loves to shoot but doesn't want to shoot competitively (even though no-one cares who "wins" a match). Still want to hear all about it when you get back.
Old March 9, 2009, 11:53 AM   #14
RickB

Blade-Tech DOH is probably the most popular holster in Production. Quite a few shooters are using them in lieu of race holsters in Limited division.
Old March 9, 2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Dan The Sig Man

Well I have been looking around and been thinking that maybe I want to think about Leather, I think the leather would be a little easier on the finish and I have heard that it will form and kind of shape a little better than a Kydex will. I know that Kydex is already molded, but I also know that there is a tolerence to the material to the weapon. I think that the leather might be a little better. Anyone have an opinion on that?