The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Zeek5793

Reloading Wolf 223

I was reading i one of the post and it says that reloading Wolf 223 is unadvisible, Why??? Yes there are steel cases but the ones I have are Boxer primed and I've tryed running them through my dies and they seem to resize just fine, Is there something I'm missing ?? The only think I can think of is that the steel will not expand, fast or enought to seal the chamber, but if thats so why did it shoot ok the first time ?? Just want some answers,any in put will help ,,
THanks & God Bless
Zeek5793
Old January 9, 2007, 10:24 AM   #2
MrApathy

you can do it. somewhere on the net are post of people doing it they recommended lubing the cases a little. dont recall how many loadings they used think it was 3-4 including the original firing.
I cant imagine using them more than twice. I have toyed with the idea of the steel case pistol casings. they rust at the range pretty fast have taken some and resized them. never felt the need to use them.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old January 9, 2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Windwalker

Same Question

Zeek,

Thanks for asking, I don't have any steel cases but have wondered the same thing. The steel cases don't have a Berdan primer pocket?

WW
Old January 9, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Jason280

It can be done, but it is not recommended. I can't remember the exact reasoning, but it has something to do with the elasticity of the steel case compared to a brass one. If I am not mistaken, brass is more "flexible" and lends itself to being worked more than steel. IIRC, steel cases can become brittle and unsafe, leasing to severe case failures. I could be saying this all wrong, but this is how I remember it.

I will say, though, that brass 5.56 and .223 is simply too cheap to be wasting time with steel cases.
Old January 9, 2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Zippy06

Brass on ebay is real cheap.
I have paid $ 20-40/1000.
That's cheaper than a new gun.
Old January 10, 2007, 01:00 AM   #6
Crosshair

I have also heard that the steel cases can really mess up a reloading die. Don't know if it is true, though it makes sense.
Old January 10, 2007, 10:52 PM   #7
Toolman

In my opinion & having worked with steel most of my life, I'd say that Jason 280 is right on in his reasoning. The elongation factor of steel is a prime factor when drawing any steel part. The higher the elongation percentage the better chances that it will draw the desired shape without rupturing or splitting. If steel won't elongate, it will yield. I've not done testing on mass produced steel casings but I believe they're designed to be used only once.
Old January 10, 2007, 11:20 PM   #8
kgpcr

Do not reload steel cases!!! They are bad news if you do.
Smith M&P 40
Old January 11, 2007, 08:00 AM   #9
Buckythebrewer

That makes alot of sense to me.I would not DARE reload steel cases after hearing that.The last thing anybody needs is head case seperation from trying to reload a steal case.I have been curious over the years(of reloading steal cases),But am glad you guys mentioned that..The brass has been working fine,Ill stick with it I think Thanks guys

Last edited by Buckythebrewer; January 11, 2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old January 11, 2007, 08:07 AM   #10
rangermonroe

So Far

No one has given a definitive reason for not reloading these. "A friend of my neighbor, who lives near an astronaut, says.."

I have a couple of wolf 223 cases that I am reloading. So far, they needed less trimming than my brass. And the primer pockets were as tight as new brass.

I will post my experience.
Old January 11, 2007, 09:04 AM   #11
Ausserordeutlich

There's a reason that one can lead a horse to water, but not make the horse drink....think, "brain size."
Old January 11, 2007, 09:15 AM   #12
sanson

brass is maleable, steel isn't. steel workhardens and case failure can occur. case failure has the potential to destroy a gun. not worth the risk

Last edited by sanson; January 11, 2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 12, 2007, 09:14 PM   #13
Toolman

We're waiting,,,,,patiently

"No one has given a definitive reason for not reloading these. "A friend of my neighbor, who lives near an astronaut, says.."

I have a couple of wolf 223 cases that I am reloading. So far, they needed less trimming than my brass. And the primer pockets were as tight as new brass.

I will post my experience."

Duh! The modulus of elasticity dictates that steel can't perform the same as brass. Please let us know what your "friend of your neighbor, who lives near the astronaut" finds out.
Old January 15, 2007, 01:55 PM   #14
zeisloft

If any of yall need .223 brass, PM me. I make you a good deal, I have A LOT of once fired military and commercial brass.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old January 15, 2007, 02:27 PM   #15
rangermonroe

Quote:
Duh! The modulus of elasticity dictates that steel can't perform the same as brass. Please let us know what your "friend of your neighbor, who lives near the astronaut" finds out.
I am the one reloading them.

I was making light of the fact that "everyone" knows that you can't, but can only suggest why.

FWIW, I am not trowing common sense out the window here. I scavenged several hundred once fired brass from the range and saved two Wolf cases (accidentally).

After tumbling I noticed the two and decided to see if it was doable. Just for the heck of it.

Then you can say, "Rangermonroe did, and he (or his widow) says...."

No, I have not been able to do so yet. I have had a nasty case of the flu, following that ...SHOT show! I just got back last night and I have not felt like going to the range nor reloading today.
Old January 15, 2007, 07:33 PM   #16
Toolman

Ranger, it's amazing how things can get interpreted (or mis-interpreted). Sorry for any misunderstanding. The flu has been terrible around here, everybody's got it/had it. Hope you're gettin over it.
How was SHOT show?
Old January 15, 2007, 07:47 PM   #17
rangermonroe

One of my ranger buddys, my son (9yo), and I spent an hour from the parking lot to the registration booth. I failed to note that there was an age restriction for entry.

it was a loong walk back to the car.

But I did get to see it through the window of this bridge thing that I walked across. It looked like all of those people were having fun.
Old January 16, 2007, 03:29 AM   #18
Hotdog1911

If any reloader is real broke...

Let me know what you need. I just might mail you something you need.

One of the best experiences I had in my reloading youth was a friend who handed me a brown paper bag of about 300 once fired 38 spls brass cases with no strings attached. If I can help just give me a buzz.
Old January 16, 2007, 06:15 PM   #19
Jason280

Zeisloft,

I sent you an email about the brass.
Old January 17, 2007, 02:29 PM   #20
zeisloft

back at ya, 280
~z

Old January 18, 2007, 12:05 AM   #21
savage17

One reason it is not good to reload steel cases is, The process of full length sizing the case work hardens the case. It will become brittle faster than a brass case due to the elasticity of brass. If you really want to reload the steel cases, Just neck size them and put a good crimp. You have less chance of a case head seperation which can cause injury or death to you or bystanders.
Old January 18, 2007, 12:30 AM   #22
eldon519

I suppose you could always anneal them, but most of them have some sort of polymer or lacquer coating which might just make a mess if it burns or melts.
Old January 18, 2007, 01:05 AM   #23
XD-Ro

Wolf is so cheap to begin with. If you have a club membership at the sportsmansguide.com you can get wolf .223 62gr jhp for 142 per 1k shipped if you have a free shipping coupon code.

I have 3k coming this friday and it feeds just fine in my AR.
Old January 18, 2007, 08:21 AM   #24
Windwalker

500rds / $95

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=131546
Old January 18, 2007, 10:05 AM   #25
zeisloft

RickH, package in the mail, enjoy.
~z