The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2000, 08:23 PM   #1
Mylhouse

Well, after much gnashing of teeth, I finally got my 550 up and running. Using new IMI Match brass, Winchester large pistol primers, and some no name 230 gr "TCJ" bullets, I loaded 30 test rounds of .45acp. I took the calipers to the rounds, and everything seemed to be within specs. OAL- 1.265", diameter of case mouth- .471". Then, with a big grin on my face, I tried to hand cycle the rounds through my Kimber Custom Classic. Most of the time I tried, whether from racking the slide or slingshotting it from slide lock, the first round would "nosedive" and get stuck on the bottom of the barrel. Then other times it would cycle fine. Sometimes it cycled, but a little sluggishly. What do you veteran reloaders think is wrong? TIA
Old September 13, 2000, 08:37 PM   #2
EQP

Mylhouse,

I load my 230grn. with a OAL of 1.240" - 1.242" and they feed perfectly every time in a variety of firearms. I also load using a RL550B. Adjust your seating die a little bit and run 5 or so cases back through the seating and taper crimp die again. Test cycle through your Kimber. Repeat until you get to the correct OAL for reliable feeding. I would not go any deeper than 1.235 just to be on the safe side due to the potential for excessive pressure buildup.

Hope that helps,
Evan
Old September 13, 2000, 08:48 PM   #3
rr41mag

sometimes hand cycling does not work the action the same as firing it. seating the bullet a few thou deeper does help too
Old September 13, 2000, 10:48 PM   #4
Steve Smith

I "third" the motion toseat them deeper. I seat my SWCs at 1.240" and they feed perfectly in my SA match barrel.
Old September 14, 2000, 12:57 AM   #5
Mylhouse

Thanks for the advice, guys.
The OAL I was getting was identical with the S&B and the PMP .45 ball I was shooting flawlessly through (and could hand-cycle too) the Kimber, so I figured it should have worked with "my" loads also. Oh well. Back to the ol' drawing board. Did I mention I can't sleep because I can't wait to try these puppies out? Too bad I can't shoot until Fri night at the earliest. Here's to bags under my eyes.
Old September 14, 2000, 08:56 AM   #6
Hutch

Not that it bears on your problem, but field stripping the .45 and using the barrel as a test chamber gives me a warm fuzzy as well. If the newly loaded rounds drop in fully with just gravity, I feel confident the sizing and crimping is just fine.
Old September 14, 2000, 09:38 AM   #7
Steve Smith

Ahh, you see the "ball" ammo will feed at those lengths just fine...but truncated cones are similar to SWC's, and need to be set back further. You have squared off edges you're trying to fit into a round hole.

OOPS! Didi you mean "total copper jacket?" Ok, that's gonna be a round nose too, right?

[This message has been edited by Frontsight! (edited September 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Frontsight! (edited September 14, 2000).]
Old September 14, 2000, 06:25 PM   #8
Mylhouse

Fs, yeah, it's TCJ (total copper jacket?). The nose doesn't seem to be as round and "ball-like" as the S&B 230 gr, though. But I definitely wouldn't call it a truncated flat point like the 180 gr .40 S&W's.

Well, I got a chance to pull off the side of the road in the boonies, and I lit off two quick 8 rd mags. Fired beautifully, no failures. Surprisingly for a light load, it spit the empties about 15-18 feet away. And the ejection distance was somewhat sporadic. Hmmm. I haven't replaced my recoil spring in about 1000 rounds, but I don't think it should make that much difference. Or should it?

BTW, I felt a great sense of pride knowing that those 16 shots were made by your's truly.
Old September 15, 2000, 11:02 AM   #9
EQP

Mylhouse,

Did you make any adjustments to the ammo or did you shoot what you were initially having problems hand cycling?

Curious,
Evan
Old September 15, 2000, 06:33 PM   #10
Mylhouse

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I reduced the OAL to 1.245". Works like a charm, even when hand cycling.