The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 18, 2000, 03:52 PM   #1
jnix

I am a Washington resident and have never gone bear hunting before. However I would like to go this year. What is everything that I need to know about hunting black bear. Eg: What is the best shot placement. Behavior of black bear. Best conditions. ETc...
Old June 19, 2000, 12:12 AM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

Bear are usually found in the berry fields at the bottom of north facing slopes. Since we cannot use dogs or bait, they have become targets of opportunity during the normal hunting season, dear and elk seasons that is. Hunt bear specifically does not make sense anymore.

Robert
Old July 17, 2000, 02:15 PM   #3
deanf

I have hunted bear specifically in WA once. No luck.

I would not say, however, that specifically going after bear does not make sense. A lot of people do it, and a lot get bears. The bears are a lot more plentiful now that you can't get them with dogs or bait. Same with the big cats.

There is a good article on WA bear hunting in the recent edition of WA-OR Game and Fish, I believe. Most of the WA/OR hunting magazines publish bear hunting articles this time of year, with the season right around the corner.

You can be successful hunting specifically for bear in WA.

Shot placement? Do you have enough gun to break through the shoulder bone and penetrate the boiler room? If so, shoot for the shoulder for a side shot. If not, just behind the shoulder, and shoot again.

Front-on shot? Center mass. Bear in mind that I'm only book-smart in this area, not street-smart.

------------------
"Anyone feel like saluting the flag which the strutting ATF and FBI gleefully raised over the smoldering crematorium of Waco, back in April of ‘93?" -Vin Suprynowicz
Old July 17, 2000, 06:13 PM   #4
BadMedicine

It was a couple years since I lived there so I may be mistaken, I believe washington requires you to salvage the meat of black bear, in which case you should probably shoot them through the ribs behind the shoulder for a double-lung shot. This varies of course, because if I was within 30 feet of a big bruin, I definatley wouldn't want him to have travel options after I've pissed him off with a shot that is usually not imidiatly fatal.I wouldn't want HIM to be the one salvaging the meat