The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 23, 2005, 11:11 PM   #1
karbine

Need 1889 Remington shotgun data

Recently acquired a nice SxS 10 ga and would sure like to get some technical
info, exploded drawing, disassembly info, etc. I thought it would easy to find this info, but am coming up empty on all my many searches. Thanks in advance, Greg in western Iowa [email protected]
Old February 24, 2005, 09:50 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Jack First lists that model in his catalog. The catalog is not online though. I don't have a copy to scan either www.jackfirstgun.com
Weisner's lists firing pin and top lever spring http://www.wisnersinc.com/shotguns/r...on/double.html
Bob's Gun Shop also lists firing pin and top lever spring www.gun-parts.com/remingtonshotgun/
Another possible source could be Pennsylvania Gun Parts (no website)
Old February 24, 2005, 11:00 PM   #3
karbine

Rem '89 info

Thanks for reply. I had checked out those sites and none had any drawings or technical info. I'm kinda mystified by the lack of info out there on what I thought was a fairly common 19th century shotgun. Oh well, I'll try to be patient and maybe find something eventually. Greg
Old February 25, 2005, 07:48 PM   #4
HunterTRW

Karbine:

The following information is from the History section of the Remington Website (www.remington.com):

"Model 1889
Description: Outside hammer, double barrel shotgun
Introduction Year: 1889
Year Discontinued: 1908
Total Production: Approximately 135,000 +/-
Designer/Inventor: E. Remington & Sons
Action Type: Circular action hammers
Caliber/Gauge: 10, 12, and 16 gauge
Serial Number Blocks: 30,000 – 105,000 200,000 – 260,000 (Serial numbers were re-assigned to the 200,000 block circa 1900).

# of Grades Offered:
Grade 1 – Decarbonized steel barrels
Grade 2 – Fine twist barrels
Grade 3 – Damascus steel barrels, engraving
Grade 4 – Damascus steel barrels, better quality engraving, curly walnut stock
Grade 5 – Damascus steel barrels, extra engraving, selected curly walnut stock
Grade 6 – Extra fine quality Damascus steel barrels, scroll engraving, fine selected curly walnut stock
Grade 7 – Superior quality Damascus steel barrels, extra fine scroll engraving, elegant curly walnut stock"

Undoubtedly you know that because your heirloom has Damascus barrels you should not attempt to shoot it using modern nitro-powder loads lest you risk injury or possible death. If you are considering making this piece a "shooter" then please have it thoroughly checked (paying particular attention to the barrels) by a competent gunsmith. If the gun proves mechanically sound overall, then you might ask him/her about sleeving the barrels so that they may be safely used with nitro loads. The feasibility of this depends upon the gunsmith's professional assessment (and the depth of your financial resources).

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and good shooting (but only with a safe gun)!
Old February 26, 2005, 07:42 AM   #5
K80Geoff

Don't know if this is usefull, but a gentleman by the name of Charles Semmer has a book out on Remington Double Shotguns.

His address is: Charles Semmer, 7885 Cyd Drive, Denver CO, 80221.

Phone listed is 303 429 6947.

This info came from an ad in "Double Gun Journal"

The book isn't cheap at $60 and I do not know if it has diagrams. But Mr Semmer seems to be the authority on Remington doubles so he might be able to provide leads or info.
Old February 26, 2005, 11:41 AM   #6
karbine

Thanks for info

Appreciate the info. I may breakdown and buy that book. I already have a very substantial library of firearms reference works so one more will not matter. I did find a copy of a Remington catalogue from 1902 that is around
50 pages long and like the old Winchester catalogues has some fairly detailed info on the firearms listed. I ordered it off of ebay and hopefully when it arrives it will have some useful info.
My main question re: the '89 was if it was normal for the extractor to only extend when the hammers are cocked. Also wondered what the small piece that protrudes from what I'll call the lefthand "knuckle" of the hinge area. It moves in and out as the action is opened and closed parallel with the locking piece. Hope my description makes some sense. Wish I knew the correct terminology.
Re: loads for this piece, I will only load with light blackpowder (or sub) loads with light buck loads for smoke and noise making purposes. I have an old Winchester '87 that I load light 10ga brass loads for. I love shooting the old pieces. I shoot all of my originals such as my Spencer, Sharps, '61 Springfield, '60 Colt,
Vetterli, Martini, Snider, '73 Winchesters, '73 Ainsworth Cavalry Colt SAA, etc.
Don't want 'em if I can't shoot 'em, but sure don't want to lose any "parts".
Thanks again and I'll let you all know how the old catalogue works out, Greg
Old February 27, 2005, 09:47 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Did a little more checking through some other reference works I have and the only thing I can come up with is that the 1889 is an improvement/variation of the 1882.
Don't know if that helps at all.