The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1
troy_mclure

WFT case trimmer review

since the issue of hatred of case trimming has been coming up lately i finally talked a neighbor down enough to get this little crow gunworks wft(worlds finest trimmer).

you put it in the drill and stick the brass in the hole in the "top".

i grabbed my drill in my vice and locked the trigger and went to town. i grab a handfull of brass and go. it is easy, simple and fast. ill be timing it here soon.

its wayyyyy faster than my zip trim, no chunking or un-chucking brass, just stick it in the hole.

there are very few reviews on it so i thought i would add one here.

i am not associated with little crow gunworks or getting anything from them. just figured id share some info with you guys.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Last edited by troy_mclure; May 19, 2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Don H

Does it deliver consistant case lengths with square (even) case mouths? Is it adjustable for length?
Old May 18, 2011, 12:44 AM   #3
troy_mclure

yes and yes, they recomend giving the case 1/4 turn once cutting has been stopped to remove any burs and level it out.

and it comes set to factory spec, but its fully adjustable.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 18, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Don H

Thanks, Troy.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:00 PM   #5
physikal

What's the advantage of this one over a possum hollow trimmer? It's 3x the cost and does the same thing right?
Old May 18, 2011, 12:12 PM   #6
oakfloor

Where do I buy one of these?
Old May 18, 2011, 05:11 PM   #7
troy_mclure

Quote:
What's the advantage of this one over a possum hollow trimmer? It's 3x the cost and does the same thing right?
its more massively overbuilt than the possom hollow one, and it has bearings on the shell contact area to it so it wont damage the case.

Quote:
Where do I buy one of these?
email little crow gunworks: [email protected]
Old May 18, 2011, 06:42 PM   #8
alloy

Think it would do well chucked in a small old bench lathe?

Looks like a nice piece.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:44 PM   #9
itman

How do you change sizes? Will it handle brass as small as 380 or 9mm?
Old May 18, 2011, 10:21 PM   #10
physikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
its more massively overbuilt than the possom hollow one, and it has bearings on the shell contact area to it so it wont damage the case.

email little crow gunworks: [email protected]
Does the delrin on the possum hollow tools damage cases? I honestly wasn't aware of that.
Old May 19, 2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Smokey Joe

Diff. ctgs???

Troy McClure--I have to echo Itman's post--How do you change cartridges?? Or is this a one-cartridge thing; want another cartridge, buy another trimmer?

Also, how do you hold onto the brass as you "stick it into the hole in the top?"

Can't quite visualize how this thing works.

A photo or 2 of the gadget in action would be helpful.

--Smokey Joe
Old May 19, 2011, 10:31 AM   #12
snuffy

I'll pass on this one. I don't think you'd get a square case mouth hand holding the shell. Also, I bet you'd get hand cramps in a hurry trying to hold the base of the shell from turning while being trimmed.

Here's a link to a discussion;

http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.co...howtopic=19703

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 19, 2011, 04:44 PM   #13
troy_mclure

its trimmer per "family", ie: '06, .223, etc...

i hold the shells by hand. no cramps, tho i only have done it for 15 mins strait as a max.

its only for bottleneck cases, it spaces off the shoulder, so no straight wall cases.

i didnt realize that the possum hollow one was delrin, ive never been able to get my hands on one.

a lathe should work fine, a drill press is not recommended tho.

ill take a picture and post it soon oh how its used.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:07 PM   #14
alloy

After seeing this thread I searched u tube.
Nothing on the Little Crow Gunworks, but the Possum Hollow trimmer got a few hits.
I suppose it works about like this? Seems to headspace/length set...like using an adjustable headspace case gauge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4_QaEusPFg
Old May 19, 2011, 06:03 PM   #15
troy_mclure

ok, heres the interior view of how the cutter trims the brass.

heres how the brass goes.

ill email them and see if they will weigh in with more/better info.
Old May 19, 2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Don H

Troy, thanks for providing all this information on a product you just bought!
Old May 19, 2011, 07:51 PM   #17
troy_mclure

i looked long and hard for reviews on it, i figured id add to the few out there.

i decided to get it in my 2 highest volume cartridges, and just use the zip trim for the low volume stuff.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:55 PM   #18
troy_mclure

ok, just trimmed 500 .223 cases(of 2700) mixed milsurp(very long necks) and commercial, with a handful of .204 ruger cases(sized to .223) thrown in.

first 100: 5m 48s,
second 5m 32s,
third 5m 19s,
fourth 5m 31s,
fifth 5m 15s.

its all about your case placement, and how much you grab.

if i had a large pocket apron it would go much faster.

i have the un-trimmed brass in a bucket to my right, the trimmed brass goes to a bucket on my left.

i grab a handful(small handfuls are faster(less fumbling)) with my right hand, and feed the brass and drop it in the trimmed bucket with my left.

im expecting to break 5m/100 in the next few hundred i do.

the biggest drawback i have found is the noise. i bought a cheapo $20 drill. it is very loud. im sure a better quality drill would work better.
Old June 1, 2011, 03:09 PM   #19
mineralman55

WFT Trimmer

+1 on this trimmer. I bought one from Little Crow several months ago, and it is excellent. Each one trims a "family" of cartridges, such as .308/.243 or 30-06/25-06/35 Whelen. The case is inserted into the opening and is indexed off the shoulder of the case. I first experimented with the WFT in a hand held drill, then after understanding it chucked it into my lathe. It is simple to use with very little practice. I found it trims the cases square every time, and cases didn't require chamfering or deburing although I did it anyway. I wear a "grippy" glove on my right hand and feed them into the trimmer. I did 500 .308 cases in 2-3 hours, no cramping in my hand at all.

Rather than buy a second one for my 30-06 cases, I simply adjusted the cutting length (instructions are included) to what I wanted and began. You have to hold the 30-06 cases steady in order to get a square cut, but I did several hundred this way. It's a great product. Highly recommended.
Old June 1, 2011, 04:24 PM   #20
troy_mclure

id kill for a bench lathe, but its so far out of my budget. lol
Old June 1, 2011, 05:22 PM   #21
alloy

Quote:
id kill for a bench lathe, but its so far out of my budget. lol
After reading this thread I ordered a Possum Hollow .223 to try the whole concept.
Ordered the power adapter, but since I have a small lathe(old Craftsman/Atlas) the chuck holds the cutter easily without it. Came yesterday and haven't had alot of time yet to experiment but I did about 15 real quick.
The slow and variable speed is nice....I use it as a prep center for chamfer, primer pockets etc. It zips right along as fast as you can pick them up.
All in all it goes well instead of using my Hornady camlock.
How does the WFT trimmer leave the edge?
The Possum Hollow needs the regular inside and outside chamfer still, but it sure is quick.
Old June 1, 2011, 06:20 PM   #22
troy_mclure

the edge of the case is flat and very level.
Old December 31, 2011, 12:01 PM   #23
tomt53

I got the .308 family trimmer. It in conjuction with the Hornady case prep assistant, is putting fun back into prepping brass.
Old January 1, 2012, 01:15 PM   #24
hounddawg

I am going to have to consider one of those in .223 if I keep my AR, would not be worth it for my other stuff