The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 30, 2015, 11:19 AM   #1
mukjp22m

XDS 9mm a picky eater?

I have a Springfield XDS 9mm 3.3 inch. When I first bought it, I had some failures to eject, but that seemed to work itself out after a few hundred rounds as it loosened up. But it has another problem - it doesn't work reliably with all the defensive loads I've tried. It seems to love Liberty Civil Defense 9mm (the fast, light rounds). I feel that I've probably run around 60 rounds of that through it flawlessly.

But yesterday I tried the Federal HST 124 gr, and out of 35 rounds, it failed to feed once. It got jammed up on the feed ramp.

Then I tried a box of Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. With such a steep angle on the bullet, I figured it couldn't possibly fail to feed. But I was wrong - it jammed up as soon as I put the magazine in, seemingly even before I attempted to release the slide. That doesn't really even make sense, and I thought I had done something stupid, so I reseated the magazine and tried again. In just 15 attempts I had two jams similar to the HST jam, getting stuck feeding onto the ramp. For a sanity check, I ran some ball ammo and it went just fine.

Is this normal? Do I just live with it and stick to rounds that operate well? It makes me nervous to see any sort of malfunction in my CCW.
Old August 30, 2015, 02:08 PM   #2
GJSchulze

Everything I've read says that you should always test ammo in a SD gun until you find one that is 100% reliable. Feeding HP can be problematic.

If you have friends who have HP, load them in a mag and rack your slide through all of them. If they feed OK, go buy some and shoot them.
Old August 30, 2015, 05:58 PM   #3
dave421

I no longer have mine but FWIW I use Speer Gold Dots and had no issues with my XDS9
Old August 30, 2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Gene Pool

IMO, like a Glock, the XD should feed about any of the regular brands of self defense ammo. I would venture to say you have a magazine issue. If it were me, I would call Springfield tomorrow and explain the problem to a technician. I am sure they will want the gun sent in for inspection, along with the magazines. Springfield is a reputable company. They will make you satisfied, but you have to work with them.

Hope this helps,
Gene Pool
Old August 30, 2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Captains1911

Mine has eaten everything I've fed it, including several types of both FMJ and JHP.

Do you experience the malfunctions with different mags? How many rounds do you have through yours?
Old August 30, 2015, 09:17 PM   #6
mukjp22m

I have the 7 and 9 round mags it came with, plus another factory 7 round. I've seen it in at least two of the three mags, including the 9 and one of the 7's. I have about 350 rounds through it now. I'm going to take it to the range again this week and try a large amount of cheap JHP's, as well as another 10-20 of the Civil Defense rounds to put my mind at ease.
Old August 31, 2015, 03:03 PM   #7
Ride Madone

SEND IT BACK to Springfield. It should not malfunction at all. Why trust your life to something that "will probably" work.
Old September 1, 2015, 10:12 PM   #8
Tony C

I've had my XDs for about two months, maybe a little longer. I have over 1,000 rounds through it without a single malfunction.

I've put very cheap factory ammo, my own reloads, and both Hornady 115 grain Critical Defense and 135 grain Critical Duty through it. No issues at all.

If you have three hundred rounds or more through it and still having problems, call Springfield. Their customer service is excellent.

Tony
Old September 2, 2015, 07:58 AM   #9
JDBerg

If your gun won't cycle Federal HST 124 gr. or Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. I wouldn't waste any more time or expensive factory ammo, I'd just call Springfield CS & get an RMA to have this gun fixed so it shoots this ammo.
Old September 2, 2015, 08:33 AM   #10
Shadi Khalil

I don't own one but from what I've read, they seem to be pretty reliable. I would agree with the other posters and give SA a call. I couldn't imagine owning a SD pistol that would not fire the HST's.
Old September 3, 2015, 02:02 PM   #11
Keithg

I also had issues feeding Critical Duty in my XDs 9. I've found that it likes the HST so I've stuck with it ever since. I should mention that I've only put about 300 rounds of HST through it though.