The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 21, 2015, 03:32 PM   #1
JERRYS.

whats your take on the Taurus Pt-22?

not the polymer guns but the original all metal guns?

how do they stack up to the Beretta mod. 21 with regards to reliability, D/A trigger, and overall function? cosmetics be damned.

I realize that a .22lr is subject to the quality of the ammo, more so in these small guns, so spare me the stories which are ammo related. I'd like to hear about the gun instead.

thanks.
Old August 22, 2015, 10:29 AM   #2
railroader

I've owned a PT22 and the Beretta mod. 21. I liked both guns when I had them but both had some issues. The Beretta ran great but it shot about 2" left at 7 yards. The Taurus broke the slide but was quickly fixed under warranty. It shot dead on but about 2" low. Both were very reliable but it bugged me that neither shot to point of aim. I guess I'm picky.
Old August 22, 2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Mike38

Quote:
I've owned a PT22 and the Beretta mod. 21. I liked both guns when I had them but both had some issues. The Beretta ran great but it shot about 2" left at 7 yards. The Taurus broke the slide but was quickly fixed under warranty. It shot dead on but about 2" low. Both were very reliable but it bugged me that neither shot to point of aim. I guess I'm picky.
I have a Taurus PT22PLY and it too shoots 2 inches left at 7 yards. Must be a common problem.

I know the OP asked about the all metal model but, my poly model will not function correctly (failure to extract) with "standard velocity" ammo, and has occasional problems with low price bulk ammo such as found at WalMart. As I understand it, that's common among them all. I have very good luck with CCI Mini Mags. Matter of fact, I've ran 200 rounds of Mini Mags through mine without any failure of any kind. I'm going to run another 100 through it today, and if it remains flawless on Mini Mags, it will pass my test for a Summer time pocket carry pistol.
Old August 22, 2015, 11:37 AM   #4
CZ9Joe

I've put about 200 rounds or so through my all metal Pt-22. Just got it a couple of months ago and I love the little thing. Seems to shoot dead on for up to 10 yards for me. It has a very long heavy trigger pull compared to most of my other firearms but for some reason it doesn't bother me with this gun. I've only run federal through it and I've had zero failures to date. Good luck finding extra mags for them though everyone seemed to be sold out for a long time. I was on backorder for a couple of months and just managed to snag 3 extra mags. I would guess they are sold out by now but I haven't checked.
Old August 22, 2015, 01:19 PM   #5
michael t

My experience was JUNK I had 2 went back to factory lite strikes broken grips Waste of money. I replaced with 2 Beretta 21's Buy the Beretta lot better pistol. Ive had 1 miss fire out of over 1000 rounds from Beretta .

CCI ammo no feeding problems .I use CCI standard velocity ammo in them. Mini mags get expensive for plinking .
Old August 22, 2015, 02:58 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

I had a metal PT-22 and it was a horror. It jammed constantly with every brand I tried. It would eject live rounds. It slammed the slide shut on a live round that it was trying to eject and bent it in half. I tried different mags, etc.

I sold it.

A friend had a Beretta and it was also a jammer. I'm not a fan of the small 22 semis.

This was about 8 years ago, so maybe they are better. Mine stunk.
Old August 22, 2015, 03:35 PM   #7
Mike38

Wow, I must have gotten lucky with mine, that or it hasn't reared it's ugly side yet. Mine was made late 2014, so maybe things have indeed improved with them. Just got back from the range, and shot another 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags. That makes 300 consecutive rounds without any kind of failure, pistol or ammo. It's going to get cleaned and become my Summer time pocket pistol.
Old August 22, 2015, 04:05 PM   #8
JERRYS.

that's guys. I think I hold out for a Beretta if I get such a plinker. I think Beretta would be easier to deal with for repair work and to find things like spare magazines..... plus resale should I choose would be better.
Old August 22, 2015, 07:25 PM   #9
amd6547

Good choice. The PT22 I bought looked great...was terrible. Fail to fire. Fail to feed. Light strikes. When it did shoot, the bullets keyholed at 7yds.
Taurus paid to ship it back to Miami.
When it came back, it fed, fired, and ejected.
Still keyholed.
While it was at Taurus, I found a good deal on a Beretta 21. An older, high polish blue version, with wood grips.
The Beretta has been extremely reliable, and I can hit out to ridiculous ranges for a pocket gun. Like hitting 10" steel plates at 40yds.
Sold the PT22 after trying it out.
Old August 23, 2015, 11:01 PM   #10
tallball

I have had the Taurus for about a year. It works fine with zero issues.
Old August 24, 2015, 09:07 PM   #11
wnycollector

My 22PLY is flawless in over 1K rounds. It's accurate, reliable and inexpensive. The only negative in my opinion is the long trigger reset.
Old August 24, 2015, 09:18 PM   #12
JERRYS.

well, I went and got the Beretta 21a. if the guns are equal, the nod goes to Beretta for c.s. from what I've read.
Old August 25, 2015, 11:30 AM   #13
weblance

Just to pile on a little bit, I have a 21a, and a PLY-22. The PLY-22 is excellent, the 21a, not so much. The Beretta is a jammer. It will shove a bullet into the top of the chamber at least once in every magazine. I keep working with it, and I will eventually figure it out. I have a friend with an older, high polish blue version, and his runs well.

My PLY-22 has been perfect from day one, and has never had an issue. My daughter shoots it, and if a pistol is going to malfunction, just hand it to her. She should be a reliability tester for gun manufacturers.
Old August 25, 2015, 02:24 PM   #14
JERRYS.

weblance, try a different magazine. also what ammo does it have problems with or is it all brands that do this?
Old August 25, 2015, 05:16 PM   #15
FM12

I have a Lorcin that runs perfectly. Go figure. It's my constant companion now a days.
Old August 25, 2015, 11:55 PM   #16
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS.
weblance, try a different magazine. also what ammo does it have problems with or is it all brands that do this?
I have 3 Beretta magazines, and I have tried my friends magazines that run well in his pistol. All do the same thing. CCI SV, Blazers & Mini Mags all jam. Its seems as the slide retracts, its lifting the nose of the cartridge, then when the slide comes forward, it jams the nose of the bullet into the top of the chamber. Looking at the bottom of my slide, the part that rides over the hammer and cartridge rim, has very light scalloped shaped machine marks. You can feel them with a fingernail. His slide is perfectly smooth. I have been polishing out the marks with some 600, but haven't shot it since.
Old August 26, 2015, 06:33 PM   #17
vizsladog

Went shopping for the wife and after trying eveything she settled on the walther p22. The taurus just wasnt for her.
Old August 27, 2015, 07:35 PM   #18
test drive

Every few months one or two will come through my CWP class. New ones seem to always have feed problems the owners usualy say it clears up after a LOT of rounds.
Old August 31, 2015, 12:49 AM   #19
thibaultfelix40

Pt 22

I bought one brand new on sale at Academy.I have shot whatever ammo I had and have no trouble and I have NEVER cleaned it.
Old August 31, 2015, 09:36 AM   #20
CZ9Joe

I enjoyed the Walther P22 when I had one too. Kind of regret trading that one away.
Old August 31, 2015, 11:25 AM   #21
Brian48

I enjoyed my P22 while I had it as well, but that gun is not exactly in the same class though. The Taurus and Beretta are great concealment, pocket or vest guns, but I've seen enough that I wouldn't trust my life to either (.22 caliber aside).
Old August 31, 2015, 12:22 PM   #22
WIL TERRY

I had one of these, one of the first matter of fact. It crapped out the first time we took it to the range. Returned it to TAURUS with a promise to get it right back to me ASAP. THAT was over twenty years ago as we speak and I've yet to see the semi-noisy little POS since. NO foolin' !!

And so it goes...
Old September 1, 2015, 08:16 PM   #23
SDF880

I liked the fit feel and finish but it would not go thru a mag without at least
one FTF or FTE. I tried and tried and no luck and I sold it. My one and only Taurus!
Old September 2, 2015, 07:22 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've had a PT-22 for close to 20 years now.

I've fired somewhere over 2,000 rounds through it, virutally all of it Winchester Wildcat.

With the Wildcat it has been 100% flawless -- 0 failures to feed, 0 failures to fire, and 0 failures to eject.

When I first got mine the grips were far too blocky for my hand, so I spent several hours carving and contouring them, which GREATLY improved its feel.

I've carried it, again loaded with Winchester Wildcat ammo, many times over the years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 4, 2015, 03:03 PM   #25
Stevie-Ray

I've had mine for many years as well, and it's never failed with any ammo, including what I generally use in it, Remington Yellow Jackets, a round expressly forbidden by Taurus, due to it's TC design inviting what you're reading in droves here-failures. I use mostly Yellows with mine, and it loves them. They also offers a bit more punch for those times you may want to drop it in a pocket for a BUG, which I did at times, many years ago, before I got my P32. These days it's merely a "fun gun."