The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 30, 2011, 05:35 PM   #1
debd

Dating my father's JC Higgins 16GA Shotgun

Hi all. I recently inherited a few guns from my dad who was an avid hunter in his younger years. I personally know nothing about guns and have been seeking couIncil from friends and family as well as a local dealer. I wanted to get a little more info on one his guns before deciding what to do with it. It is a Sears Roebuck JC Higgins 583.2 16 Gauge Bolt action shot gun. I recall my father had one gun when I was growing up that had been handed down from his father, but my brother does not recall that story. And the other guns were definately not old enough. Wondering if anyone knows when this was manufactured. I don't want to be selling something that perhaps should be kept as a family heirloom. I did see that the 583.2 12 gauge was recalled, but this is a 16 guage. And I have n't been able to find a date for this particular gauge and model. Best I can tell, there isn't much resale value for these guns (around $100? does that sound right? dealer would only give me about 60% of retail). I don't have a LTC, so if I decide to keep this, I'll end up entrusting it to a family member to store for me indefinately as I would only be keeping it to hand down to another generation.
Old December 30, 2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Gbro

J. C. Higgins Chicago, Illinois
Sears, Roebuck & Co. used that trade name on firearms and other sporting goods sold between 1946 & 1962 The trade name Ted Williams was used after and Ranger prior.
Not much info on them.
It was probably manufactured by Mossberg. Not a collector item but it certainly would be a Heirloom.
Edit: Your Shotgun is a H&R Model 120 and here is a link for one listed on Guns America.

Edit to site my information to the 2008 Standard Catalog of FIREARMS 18th Edition. and also list same info in my Blue book but nothing in either as to value.
Wiki at this link has other information.

Last edited by Gbro; December 30, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old January 1, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

Sears model 583.2 crosses to the H&R Model 120 bolt gun or a High Standard version of the same - H&R produced them for Sears for only a couple years 1940-41, then High Standard took over, which was called the 583.20 by Sears.
It should look something like this 20ga, but of course, in 16 ga.

IMG_2348.jpg

03.jpg