The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 2, 2013, 10:21 PM   #1
royboy

interested in 50 cal b/p

I looking to purchase a Hawkens 50 cal b/p, maybe something used for around $250-$300. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old August 3, 2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Bill Akins

Flintlock or percussion? There are a lot of percussion ones on gunbroker in that price range.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old August 3, 2013, 08:05 AM   #3
MattShlock

Great arm. And an American icon historically and in modern reproduction terms the Thompson Center is as well.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:48 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Go to a Rendezvous. Used guns are cheaper there. I saw some decent guns at the Rendezvous at Whittington earlier this year.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Pahoo

Can still be found

Not well publicized but TC, is no longer making any SideLocks. If you can find one, in your price range, buy it as the price will only go up, on some models. Take a look at Traditions and of course Lyman. A real find would be a Lyman Great Plains for $300.00 or even less. ....

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 13, 2013, 11:35 AM   #6
svenoleary

Used BP

I found a Lyman Great Plains locally for $300 even. Problem is, the guy said it was his fathers and had not been fired in at least ten years. I'm new to BP shooting and don't know what to look for in a used rifle. Not to highjack the thread but perhaps the OP could use some tips as well.

Last edited by svenoleary; August 13, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old August 13, 2013, 12:12 PM   #7
YARDDOG(1)

If you're going to buy used,, Take a bore light with you JMO ; )
Y/D
Old August 13, 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Pahoo

First the practicals and then, particulars !!

svenoleary
The Bore;
The heart of a "used" M/L, is the bore and by my measure, on some, less than perfect is fine with me but there is a limit. As YARDDOG has mentioned, it's good to be able to read the bore. The problem is being able to tell the difference between spider webs, dust, green rust, fouling and pits. Also check the crown/muzzle areas for worn rifling. You may have good rifling deep in the bore but none at the crown. I once received a used M/L and my dealer told me that I was not going to be happy with the bore. It turned out to be just fine. ...

Check the Snail/nipple or Drum/nipple area, for heavy rust and pitting. Often times, what you see here is indicative of what's going on, in the bore. Check your stock for cracks and chips don't worry too much about light scratches. Check the wood opposite of the lock, around the lock strew as cracks in this area are common. Check the toe area of the stock for cracks.

On the lock, if you have a double-set, check it's operation without cocking the hammer. Wiggle the hammer side to side, for looseness. Cock the hammer for proper and consistent operation. With the hammer at full-cock, push the hammer with you thumb, forward with increasing pressure to see that it holds. Pull and check your rod and check the thimbles for looseness. Not a big problem.

Hope this helps and more to come ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 13, 2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Hawg

Depending on what kind of projectile you want to use. The Great Plains has a 1:60 twist for round balls only. However it is closer to a real Hawken than the TC. The TC, Investarms etc. have a 1:48 twist and will handle conicals and round balls but its not ideal for either.