The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2013, 07:05 AM   #1
pnolans

Substituting Primers - Winchester for Remington

This has been asked before, but not in quite this way; and I want to be SURE.

I follow my Lyman Reloading Manual fairly religiously. I'm somewhat new to reloading , but not a total novice. I've been doing it for about 2 years, but only when the mood strikes me. So, because of supply issues and tight finances, I've started using what I have in my "stock".

I am currently working on loading 270 win, 7mm rem mag and 9mm luger.
I have all three successfully blowing projectiles down range without injury to my self, my neighbors at the range and my firearm. So, that's a big freakin plus!

Also, I've been staying on the low end of the charge.. NOT working to max loads so far.

For example, for 7mm rem mag, I have been using Remington 9 1/2 Large Magnum Rifle primers. I have several trays of Winchester WLRM, CCI 250 Magnum Primers, Federal no 215.

I want to be as sure as I can that it is ok to use these AS LONG AS IM STARTING ON THE LOW END of the range, that is, the "Suggested STarting Grains"...

I've read that different manufacturer's primers have different characteristics, but I believe that I'm safe as long as I stay on the low end and work up.

What say you folks?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The reason there are starting loads is because of variation in components and firearms. I've never paid the slightest attention to the brand of brass or primers listed in the data.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:10 AM   #3
pnolans

Thank you. That's a valuable confirmation.

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Shootest

Quote:
I've read that different manufacturer's primers have different characteristics, but I believe that I'm safe as long as I stay on the low end and work up.

I believe you are 100% correct, as long as you start low and work up you are safe.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:34 AM   #5
cwbys4evr

Re: Substituting Primers - Winchester for Remington

I completely ignore the primer part of the load data. That's just the publisher telling you what they used to work up the powder charge. I don't think it is anywhere near critical
Old March 30, 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Jimro

Primers are not a problem at the starting charge in my experience.

Jimro