The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 21, 2011, 03:42 PM   #76
Edward429451

Just like the old days where it was said..Men are not hung for stealing horses, but that horses be not stolen...
Old January 21, 2011, 04:37 PM   #77
MisterPX

Did not too many of you read the whole post? Pizza guy did not try to enter OP's apartment. PIzza guy wanted to stand in teh warm apartment complex foyer.
Old January 21, 2011, 05:17 PM   #78
mrgoodwrench76

From what I got, Pizza guy tried to forceably enter dwelling against occupants wishes. That in itself would alarm me enough to take whatever action necessary to stop his advance. And no, I wouldn't want to take someones life to keep my TV or stereo, but to keep them out of my home, you bet.
Old January 21, 2011, 05:39 PM   #79
DanThaMan1776

What did his tone and body language suggest? I invest heavily into these factors, because they are usually spot-on. Did he grab the door and say no keep it open in a pleading manner because he was clearly cold as hell, or was it aggressive and did he put a foot in?

Honestly I think you overreacted. I would have helped the poor guy out by letting him in and waiting there with him while he called his business. No need to be paranoid and disrespect your fellow man.
Old January 23, 2011, 12:20 PM   #80
swappedeh2

I have to agree. My first impression from the details given is that the guy wanted to get into the lobby (note: NOT the OP's apartment) so that he didn't have to stand out in the cold trying to figure out where he got his information mixed up. His demeanor and body language while grabbing the door (which we have no real information about) would be the key puzzle piece to learning his motivation. Obviously the property managers wanted those buildings secured for a reason and he may have overstepped by trying to gain access but it's a bit disturbing to see how many people, without that information, immediately suggest brandishing a weapon. Would I pocket a weapon on my way downstairs? Sure. But drawing on the guy? Come on. Call me naive, but from the details given I find it a much more likely scenario that a poor minimum wage worker wanted to get out of the cold on Christmas Eve to figure out his mistake rather than an enterprising criminal went down to the local pizza shop, purchased a box, and hid a cut down 870 or something in it.
Old January 23, 2011, 01:04 PM   #81
overkill0084

"The line has to be drawn somewhere. In my mind, the line is my front door. Cross that, and all bets are off."
Quoted for truth.

If you grab my door while I'm trying to close it, we have a problem (even common area secure entry doors). Pizza guy or clergy, doesn't matter. Would I draw? I can't say for sure. It would certainly be one of the top five options.
A person going to a private dwelling isn't necessarily owed anything by the occupants. If your hurt/in distress, I'll call 911 and get you some assistance. If your up to no good, I'll call 911 and get you some assistance. Beyond that, the burden of proof of their good intentions is on the visitor.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 23, 2011, 04:19 PM   #82
larryh1108

I'll still contend that his vehicle was close by and he can go to it to call his boss. I doubt the guy had a sawed off shotgun in a borrowed pizza box but criminals are clever and he could be looking for an "ex" or whatever and not have noble intentions being there. Drawing at that time is premature but you'd have to be at alert ready just in case. The aggressive move made all decisions easy.
Old January 23, 2011, 05:36 PM   #83
swappedeh2

Quote:
I'll still contend that his vehicle was close by and he can go to it to call his boss. I doubt the guy had a sawed off shotgun in a borrowed pizza box but criminals are clever and he could be looking for an "ex" or whatever and not have noble intentions being there. Drawing at that time is premature but you'd have to be at alert ready just in case. The aggressive move made all decisions easy.
I agree with this up until the last sentence. Nowhere in the OP does it clearly say that this guy was being aggressive. Yes he grabbed the door but that could have just been a natural reaction to wanting to get in out of the cold and figure things out. It's easy to sit here and say "well he could have gone to his car" but realistically the average American is not particularly aware of their surroundings or how their actions could be misread. Like I said bringing a gun down with you is a fine idea but I'd be more inclined to chalk this up to an oblivious pizza guy just trying to get done his Christmas Eve shift so he can go home and enjoy the holidays like everyone else.