The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 11, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Sportdog

Pyrodex-Loose vs Pellets Question

I know that this might seem like a dumb question but here goes. I have been shooting two 50 grain pellets of pyrodex in my muzzle loader but have decided to use up my stock of loose pyrodex to sight in my new scope. Should 100 grains of loose powder give me the same or very similar ballistic performance as the pellets? I don't recall reading or hearing anything about this topic. I plan on shooting the same 209 primers and bullets, just changing the form of the powder. Thanks for any input.
Old September 12, 2007, 02:58 AM   #2
Raider2000

I'm not an official on this so don't quote me but I would think that the Powdered Pyrodex will have a slight different burn characteristic which could cause your point of aim to be slightly off by comparrison to the peleted Pyrodex.
Old September 12, 2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Doyle

The pellets are notoriously inconsistent in their volume. Your accuracy should improve with the loose powder.
Old September 12, 2007, 01:19 PM   #4
Pahoo

In support of the previous two posts, I agree. I used pellets one year and have gone back to loose powder. In my In-Lines and up a .50, I use 777, in fffg, wonder wad and the Sabot. In my traditionals, I use American Pioneer.
I make it a point to be careful and consistant on my measure. What I term; measuring loose, by not tapping down the level. Consistancy is the gift to good shooting. Remember that to a certain extent, all pellets take a crush that is inconsistant. ..... Be safe !!!
Old September 12, 2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

I weigh all my 777 charges instead of volume. I get much better groups this way. I have noticed that the pellets say 100 grain EQUIVILANT not 100 grains. When you weigh your pellets you will find that no 2 pellets in a box of 100 will weigh the same, so there is no way that they can be as accurate from one shot to the next as loose powder. I also found that when I changed from pellets to loose powder I cut back to 90 grains rather than 100, and it makes for a lot better accuracy than with 100 grains. Pellets are a lot easier to use and much more convenient, but it's hard to get away from the loose because of the accuracy difference, and consistency.

Not all people have this problem with pellets, and some of my freinds have no problem with accuracy in their rifles, but in my encore, there is a LOT of difference between the two.
Old September 12, 2007, 08:26 PM   #6
wolverine350

I love loose powder , with 90 grains of triple 7 behind a 295 grain power belt hollow point at 50 yards it hole inside hole in the bullseye with my 50 caliber CVA Kodiak Mag
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old September 12, 2007, 09:15 PM   #7
crowbeaner

I'm shooting 90 gr. by volume with a magnum sabot and a cast RCBS 44-240 SWC sized to .430, lubed, and gas check applied over Pyrodex RS. This load will group into 2 inch 3 shot groups at 100. Good enough for me, and I get more loads per pound and dollar this way. I've taken 2 deer with it, and neither went anywhere as in BOOM, FLOP. The pellets are harder to ignite, and I'm using the CCI magnum percussion caps. IMHO that if you use powder instead of pellets you may not need the 209s, and I've never had a FTF as long as I keep everything dry. My $0.02. CB.