The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 9, 2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Model12Win

Awesome grips!

Hi!

Well I recently purchased a S&W Model 642-1 for concealed carry, and while I originally set out to carry the gun in a pocket holster, I was dissatisfied with several different setups that I explored. I just wasn't comfortable with the amount of printing that I was having, and with summer right down the street I wanted to find a way to carry my J-frame more discretely.

After quite a bit of research, I came upon a certain product called the "Barami Hip-Grip" that I've read people like. So I head on over to Midway USA where the Barami grips were in stock, and for just $20 dollars and a wait of 4 days, they found themselves sitting in my mailbox this afternoon.

Naturally, I put them on the gun! I also paired these grips with a Tyler-T in brushed aluminum. I think it makes a nice contrast and the combination is very comfortable in the hand, I like it even better than the factory rubber boot grips that came on the gun.

Here are some pics!

I really like these grips! After installation, just a few hours ago, I took the ol' Wal-Mart walk around to see how these felt. Concealed under just a t-shirt, there was virtually 0 printing. The Barami Hip Grip works simply by hanging over the belt/waistline by means of a protruding lip located on the top right grip panel. A belt is used to provide tension on the gun. No holster is needed. This may not seem like a very practical way to carry, but I can attest (as can many others) that the gun felt 100% secure the entire time. I carried the gun at about the 2:30 position, and this was comfortable for both walking and being seated while driving. The gun DID NOT move at all during this time, even though I took a good 20 minute walk around the store. When I entered/exited the vehicle, no movement was experienced either. These things simply stay put and were comfortable.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the Barami Hip Grip. If you are like me and want to carry a J-frame in something other than a pocket holster, and want maximum concealment in something as simple as a t-shirt and jeans, I recommend you give the Barami a try.

Has anyone here used Baramis? What are your thoughts on them? Have any pics you'd like to share?

Thanks for your time!
Old April 11, 2014, 12:29 AM   #2

The grips don't appeal to me, but damn, you do take some very nice pics.

Hell, I'd pay someone to teach me how.

BTW.....I too, have a 642. I'm partial to the grips that came on it.
Old April 11, 2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Model12Win

Well that's good 2123.

I thought the grips that came on mine SUCKED. They were decently comfortable on the range, but they were utterly useless for pocket carry. The soft rubber catches pocket linings and clothing making drawing an utter nightmare. Also when loading with HKS speedloaders, the loader would literally get stuck between the grips and cylinder face! That could easily get someone killed out on the street.

JMHO.

YMMV.
Old April 11, 2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Marty8613

Nice

Putting this setup on my list. Thanks for the awesome pics and to the point post. Very impressed.