The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 25, 2002, 09:33 AM   #1
Turk

Handgun hunting with cast bullets.

Handgun hunting with cast bullets.

What is your favorite cast bullet (custom bullet manufacturer or mould manufacturer stock #) in the following calibers 357 mag., 41 mag., 44 mag. and 45 Colt? Game to hunt is hog to buff. Also would be interested your loads also. My casting equipment has been setting idle too long. (Stopped casting due to lack of time) And was wondering what other hunters are using.

Thanks,

Turk

Remember to pray for our service men and women fighting around the world.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:08 AM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Turk I have always liked the Kieth style Semi-wadcutter for handgun hunting. I have take 2 whitetail with the 255 grain Keith bullet in the .45 Colt and one with the 240 grain one in .44 Magnum. I do not handgun hunt per se but these were taken as "targets of oppurtunity". All 3 were hit in the chest cavity and went down within 15 yards of the place they were hit. On the one (6 point) hit with the .44 the bullet exited. On the 2 hit by the .45 the bullets were found under the off hide.
Old June 25, 2002, 04:32 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Ditto Keith-styles.

Large frontal area (what's that cool phrase? I disremember ... oh yeah = metplat!) ..... long bearing surface seems to allow proper bore alignment & accuracy, etc. Gas check or not - seems not to matter (given proper slugged to bore size & hardness, lube related to velocity).

At "even" .357 diameters, a full-caliber hole provides a pretty good bleed-out. Expansion is nice, but at handgun velocities, it may be a moot point. I'd go first for penetration. Expansion afterwards is a plus.

Still, in every event, if you put a decent enough bullet that will penetrate, in the right place, everything else is a moot point.

All told though, for handgun hunting at standard revolver velocities, I'd go for a .44/.45 caliber hard cast bullet w/a big(ger the better) metplat.

Drop that heavy bullet (for penetration) into the right spot & the work starts ...
Old June 25, 2002, 08:13 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I forgot to mention that my bulets run a bit lighter than the weight that Lyman says..............the colt runs at about 245 grains and the .44's run about 232 or so.......................I use no gas check and they are well lubed and cast from pure linotype. No leading but in the Colt no expansion either..................... I doubt that the .44 expanded either but hell they leave a biggggggggggggg hole.
Old June 27, 2002, 01:40 AM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Just a follow-up ...

I cast usually out of straight wheel weight material, unless I see the need for extra castability (extra tin) or maybe some hardness & then I'll step up to the Lyman's #2 alloy. Hardly ever see the need except for .30 cal rifle/handgun loads.

Turk, try this same post again over to TFL's reloadig forum for a bit better exposure. I'd think you'll a few more takers there.

Without stepping up to rifle velocities, I'd say a big ol' heavy bullet with a largish frontal area's (Keith-style bullet) about the best you can hope for in anything cast. Always worked very well for me & others.

Cut a full-caliber hole through something in the right place & it just doesn't matter .....