The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 14, 2014, 12:19 AM   #76
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45
I can only imagine firing an AR in a hallway inside my home with no hearing protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFan9
It hurts.
I bet. The .357 that gave me permanent ringing in my left ear was at an indoor range, I had the range to myself and stupidly dropped my ear pro for a minute and forgot to put it back on. I tapped off a single hot .357 round out of a 2" snub and the partition closest to me was to my left so I got an ear full of it. I couldn't shower or drive with the window down for a month without an earplug or the pain was unbearable, oddly the sound of crinkling tinfoil or plastic bags for a few weeks was hell to my ear. Looking at a DB chart it seems the .357 especially out of a snub is on par with the 5.56, and seeing as I was at in indoor range with partitions on either side of me it would be pretty similar to tapping off an AR in a hallway.

Last edited by Dragline45; November 14, 2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old November 14, 2014, 03:11 PM   #77
HKFan9

Luckily mine wasn't as confined, plus indoor ranges rarely are sound forgiving anyways, concrete walls and floors. Sorry to hear about your ear. Mine hurt, but other than some faint hearing loss, been rather OK.

That was one of my main questions to two guys I work with. Both were Army SF, one wears hearing aides permanantly, the other is OK, somewhat hard of hearing. I asked what clearing rooms was like with constant fire indoors, and they both basically told me, at the time you barely notice it, when things are said and done your whole head hurts. Obviously now adays guys are wearing electrion ear pro for those types of situations.
Old November 14, 2014, 03:52 PM   #78
SPEMack618

I had to fire my M-4A1 from inside a Humvee numerous times. Didn't notice it at the time, but later noticed my ears were hurt and ringing.

Same goes for when the guy on the M-2 would get to working, not notice a thing during the engagement, but later, like the next day, it felt similar to when I got concussed playing high school football.

Wear your ear pro, kids.
Old November 16, 2014, 09:46 AM   #79
ar15usa

I don't leave my AR out. a shot gun is the best for HD
Old November 17, 2014, 02:03 AM   #80
WildBill45

Quote:
a shot gun is the best for HD
The best for who?

a 90 pound woman or man can handle a 12 gauge better than an AR? Or did you mean a shotgun is best for YOU?

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old November 17, 2014, 02:44 PM   #81
SPEMack618

There is no way my mumble mumble pound, petite former sorority girl turned USAF JAG lawyer could handle my Mossberg 590 with 00 Buck, hell, her trap gun is my old 1100 reclaimed from the little sister shooting No 8, and even then she gets tired after a round of sporting clays.

This is the same Lady who was nearly in tears after busting her pistol qual with the M-9 because the damn thing is so big.

So, yeah an AR- with an adjustable stock or an all steel revolver with the factory round butt grips are the way to go.
Old November 17, 2014, 07:01 PM   #82
giaquir

Locked in my gun safe in the cellar with the rest of the firearms
Old November 18, 2014, 12:23 PM   #83
WildBill45

Quote:
Locked in my gun safe in the cellar with the rest of the firearms
Tantamount to not wearing a helmet if you ride motorcycles in regard to the purpose of the personal safety device but, I support those who do both, this is America!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old November 19, 2014, 01:04 PM   #84
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15usa
A shotgun is a great home defense tool, but for many people an AR in 5.56/.223 will be better. Here are the advantages of an AR:

-Due to NFA restrictions, an AR will usually be shorter.
-An AR will have much less recoil.
-Engaging multiple targets is much faster and easier with an AR.
-With proper defensive ammo, an AR will penetrate FAR less through walls than almost any defensive shotgun or handgun load.
-The AR has a much higher capacity.
-The AR is much easier and faster to reload.
-The average AR is more reliable than the average semi-auto shotgun. And the AR will usually be more reliable than even a pump shotgun unless the shooter is well-trained and pumps the shotgun properly each time (I'm fairly proficient with my 870, but I've had more stoppages with my 870 than I've ever had with any AR I've owned).

I love my 870, but I use an AR-15 for primary bedroom home defense. My wife finds my 870 much more difficult and complicated to use than the AR, and she can't stand the recoil on the 870. Also, I'm worried about over-penetration through walls, and my 60 gr. Hornady V-Max .223 loads will penetrate FAR less through walls than the 2 3/4 00 buck loads I have for my 870.
Old November 19, 2014, 02:31 PM   #85
HKFan9

Quote:
A shotgun is a great home defense tool, but for many people an AR in 5.56/.223 will be better. Here are the advantages of an AR:

-Due to NFA restrictions, an AR will usually be shorter.
-An AR will have much less recoil.
-Engaging multiple targets is much faster and easier with an AR.
-With proper defensive ammo, an AR will penetrate FAR less through walls than almost any defensive shotgun or handgun load.
-The AR has a much higher capacity.
-The AR is much easier and faster to reload.
-The average AR is more reliable than the average semi-auto shotgun. And the AR will usually be more reliable than even a pump shotgun unless the shooter is well-trained and pumps the shotgun properly each time (I'm fairly proficient with my 870, but I've had more stoppages with my 870 than I've ever had with any AR I've owned).

I love my 870, but I use an AR-15 for primary bedroom home defense. My wife finds my 870 much more difficult and complicated to use than the AR, and she can't stand the recoil on the 870. Also, I'm worried about over-penetration through walls, and my 60 gr. Hornady V-Max .223 loads will penetrate FAR less through walls than the 2 3/4 00 buck loads I have for my 870.
+1 to Theo
Old November 19, 2014, 03:01 PM   #86
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
I used to think that too....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 20, 2014, 11:31 AM   #87
SPEMack618

I joke that since the LadyFriend likes my AR- so much that, if the zombies or commies ever came in force, I'd be grumbling about fighting with my .45 while she used MY carbine.

I never realized how nice an adjustable stock was until I was working with a shooter who wasn't 5'7" or taller.
Old November 22, 2014, 05:48 PM   #88
Armybrat

Mrs. Brat has never fired a gun in her life and never will, much less my AR or Winchester Defender.

Guess she would just have to bake some chocolate chip cookies to throw at the zombie/commie invaders.