The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 11, 2006, 11:04 AM   #1
yomama

Road Rage

Hey everyone. Ok, here it goes. Just saw video on the news of a guy in a suburban driving into a minivan/suv, out of road rage. The video has the 911 call from the two women inside the suv as they were being rammed by this guy multiple times. They had a cell phone, and police arrived quickly.

Now what rights do you have in a vehicle in regards to brandishing and possibly making the decision to draw and fire. I've been told you may never fire inside a car, because you are in a vehicle that can leave the area of conflict. However, this guy did not stop when they tried to flee.

Any perspectives you all can give me would be a great help. Keep in mind, i hate cell phones, and will not carry one. I know they are convienient and safe, but have spent more on phones than guns.

It's not vengence, it's punishment - The Punisher
Old March 11, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
threegun

Call 911. Drive cautiously towards the police department. If this madman rams you and you cannot flee you have no choice but to defend yourself.
Old March 11, 2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Dwight55

In your vehicle, . . . just get away, . . . as threegun said, . . . calling 911 and trying to disengage from the perp.

Also remember, . . . if he is ramming your rear, . . . the vulnerability of his radiator, water pump, battery, etc is all right there, . . . whereas it's only the rear trunk/back bumper of your vehicle. His should be damaged and stopped before yours is made immobile.

(You may even put it in reverse, . . . jam him, . . . and make it happen a little faster if you think of it )

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 11, 2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Blackwater OPS

A vehicle is a deadly weapon, I would shoot to defend my self from someone trying to kill me with an SUV. That said, having the skill to hit a moving target from another moving target with a buch of metal and glass in the way while possibly trying to drive at the same time, all while not further endangering bystanders, is something most people just do not have. Of course, it would not be much much safer for anyone to floor it and try to out run the person ant 120MPH. Try not to cut people off, or drive 45 MPH on the freeway while talking on the cell, let the nutcases pass you.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old March 11, 2006, 05:37 PM   #5
threegun

An old friend had a road rage incident that got went out of control and he is lucky to be alive as well as not in jail. He was at a traffic light when the people in the car next to him started shouting racial slurs at him and his passenger. They were playing country music to loud and offended these folks.......(the only thing he could think of as a reason). Well instead of just ignoring them and going about his business, he retaliated verbally. Now the light changes and the badguys toss something at his car, to which his friend tosses a soda can back. Now these badguys start chasing him and his friend. His friend hears popping noises and they both see muzzel flashes comming from the badguys car. My friend now crapping his pants presses the brake stopping the car sideways and from the drivers window fires 4 shots the last of which sends the chasing car into the shoulder of the road full brakes. After several seconds the chasing car backs up and leaves.

Things can only go bad if you escalate. My friend almost got shot. Then if these guys had been injured, he would have had to explain his actions. Pretty tough to look like the victim after tossing a soda can at the people you just shot.
Old March 11, 2006, 08:00 PM   #6
GlocksRfun

After tossing a soda can at the guy u just shot.. isn't that in the wrong order... shot the guy u threw a soda can at... anyways.. newer cars have a fuel pump shut off that, umm, shuts off the fuel pump if the car thinks it's been in a wreck. If u are being rammed, what are the odds of your car shutting down and then not able to flee. Luckily they were in a subarbun and not my ford.
Old March 11, 2006, 08:34 PM   #7
Derius_T

Another addition to this. Say your kids are in the vehicle with you. Do you still try to drive to the police station while this madman continues to ram you? How far are you from the nearest police station? Do you even know where the closest station is to where you are at the time?

My kids are with me, person rams me with vehicle. I would try to drive off at first, but if he continued to try to chase or ram me, I honestly believe that would put my life and my kids lives in danger enough to use deadly force. After all, if a 1 1/2 ton vehicle raming you isn't considered deadly force, what is?
Old March 12, 2006, 01:39 AM   #8
GodblessAmerica

GlocksRfun,
Good point about the fuel pump shutdown, something to consider if forced into a demolition derby by some bonehead with road rage. As a partial solution, check your owners manual or with Ford. Many of their trucks/SUVs have the reset switch for the fuel pump located on the floor in the footwell of the front passenger side. A good friend of mine found this out when the tow truck operator showed him how his tall wife had stepped on it and disabled the truck
Old March 12, 2006, 04:39 AM   #9
DWARREN123

Be a good driver, try to get away, defend yourself as needed, do not make it worse.
Old March 12, 2006, 11:36 AM   #10
yomama

Thank you all so much. The information talked about is very helpful. Again, as i've said before, you'd think they would go over this in the CCW class. Instead the guy was a prick, and wouldn't answer questions.

Thanks again
Old March 12, 2006, 03:56 PM   #11
CyberSEAL

I practice aiming at all four corners of my vehicle from the driver's seat.
Old March 12, 2006, 05:43 PM   #12
Dennis2

Let's Use Common Sense

The automobile is the most deadly weapon of all, it kills more people than all handguns. Road rage is a symptom of our society and people are using their cars to exact revenge and pay back for perceived wrongs to them? Wheather getting cut off, driving too slow, etc.

Here is what I think and do... I carry full coverage automobile insurance and do not want to get involved in an accident or altercation. I get cut off all the time in traffic and it really pi$$es me off, however, I rise above that get even mentality and concentrate on getting home safely.

Sooner or later the a$$ holes on the road doing you wrong will get their just due. I would not use a weapon with dualing automobiles under any circumstances what-so-ever, period...
Old March 12, 2006, 07:05 PM   #13
Nortonics

I have to believe that you got this story up here in the Minneapolis as that's where this happened. Here's the video from a local news station complete with the spinning tire smoke still contuinuing even as the police arrive:

http://kstp.dayport.com/viewer/viewe...?Art_ID=165954

Tell ya what, if I was being bashed like that and couldn't get out of my vehicle I'd unload everything I had right then and there.

And as far as shooting from a car or into a car, ain't no such laws that I'm aware of here in Minnesota that restricts that, unless you're out hunting.
Old March 13, 2006, 11:08 AM   #14
Derius_T

Dennis2 wrote:

Quote:
Sooner or later the a$$ holes on the road doing you wrong will get their just due. I would not use a weapon with dualing automobiles under any circumstances what-so-ever, period...
Soooo, some jacked-up moron decides to ram into your vehicle. Your vehicle for whatever reason, becomes disabled fter the initial impact. Person backs up, and rams your drivers door, trapping you in your vehicle. They back up again and line up with your drivers door, ready for another smash. You can reach your firearm. Are you honestly telling me that you would not USE IT?
Old March 13, 2006, 11:45 AM   #15
Nortonics

A little more complete video from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...road.rage.wxyz
Old March 13, 2006, 11:59 AM   #16
Ilovemyak47

Am I the only one wondering [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] those chicks did to piss off that crazy ol geezer? It'd have to have been pretty bad to warrant totalling your own ride like that, no?
Old March 13, 2006, 12:10 PM   #17
OBIWAN

http://www.sillyhumor.com/trunkmonkey/
Old March 13, 2006, 12:21 PM   #18
threegun

When I get my new 2007 475hp mustang cobra, ramming will not be a concern anymore LOL.

Derius, I would be forced to shoot.
Old March 13, 2006, 07:25 PM   #19
Derius_T

I would also be forced to shoot I believe. It was just that Dennis2 said he would neer under any circumstances use a gun in this situation. Was just trying to help him see the light.

Also, the Trunk Money thing is PRICELESS. I want one!