The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 18, 2009, 10:40 PM   #1
jettydog

Texas hog hunting partner wanted

I'm here on Vacation and would like to go on a hog hunt. My nephew is backing out. Found a place in Fannin Co. 160 acres for $75 per day. I'm looking at Wed. June 24th early.
I live in Seattle and never been Hog hunting. Would feel safer if I wasn't alone. Talked to the owner (nice guy) Jeff and his property is over run with hogs. He need to thin them out. He say's to shoot any varmints you like and as many as you like. I'll be packing a S&W 460 Revolver w/4X leupold and a .45 1911 for back up. I don't plan on processing any meat as I'm told that this time of year the hogs are diseased. My goal is to have a fun time, shoot some hogs and get some pictures. If your interested in joining me please call. I'm staying in Richardson Tx, Residence Inn. I'm free all week and heading home on Saturday if another day works out better.
206-255-3472
Kip
Old June 19, 2009, 07:55 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't plan on processing any meat as I'm told that this time of year the hogs are diseased.
As far as I know...
There are no seasonal disease issue with feral hogs. Summer heat makes it harder to butcher. Spoilage is an issue. diseases affecting hogs are year around but if cooked to "well done pork" temps is going to kill any cooties! If you shoot a 90 to 150 pound pig and don't eat it you are doing yourself a dis-service! feral pork is some real good eating with a flavor not found in barnyard swine.
Brent
Old June 19, 2009, 09:56 AM   #3
langenc

The hog can be eaten any day that it is killed so long as it has a D in the day.
Old June 19, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

The only disease you need to worry about is if you don't get the hog gutted and on ice quickly enough in the summer heat.
Old June 19, 2009, 12:37 PM   #5
birdshot

Summer BBQ (main ingredient)

i agree with the other responders. Gutting should take place within seconds of shooting. cut up and in the cooler within minutes.
I butcher on the tail gate. have ice on hand, don't go looking for some after you make the kill. i have shot a lot of hogs in summer, great BBQ.
Old June 19, 2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Inspector3711

jettydog, if ya don't get no takers on here then you oughtta put an ad in the craigslist for DFW
Old June 20, 2009, 06:10 PM   #7
paknheat

The " summertime disease" that confuses folks is known as Brucelosis. It affects rabbirs more than it does hogs. I have shot and butchered many a hog in the summertime and never came across one. A good rule of thumb when hunting wild hog is if it LOOKS sick, then it is sick. Shoot it anyway, and get it out of the population. On my place any sick looking hog ,or deer for that matter, is shot and disposed of by incineration by means of the nearest brushpile. JettyDog , I wish you lots of luck. Hog hunting is addictive.
Old June 20, 2009, 11:22 PM   #8
jettydog

Thanks every one for the advice. My nephew and friend are going to hunt with me on Wed. I hope to get some pics and post after the hunt.
Went to Bass Pro shop and picked up some Sweet Corn Hog Bomb and some sent free insect repellant. Also got my 5 day out of state license $45 not bad.
Plan on getting to Fannin Co before day break and meeting up with the land owner.
Thanks again.
Jettydog
Old June 25, 2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Inspector3711

I hope you remembered the camera... Pics would be awesome.